Ads on MFP... terribly rude...

Options
So here I am, sifting around MFP and what appears at the top in the ad area?

"Whataburger! New! Honey BBQ Chicken Strip Sandwich"

Really? How rude! :grumble:

LOL

Replies

• xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Ha ha ha!! The NERVE!! I don't even know what Whataburger is, but the fact that it says "burger" in it is enough to make me drool!! Not to mention the Honey BBQ Chicken....YUM!!
  • erincraig
    erincraig Posts: 10
    Options
    I keep seeing ads with cake. Not right!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Probably because you have visited restaurant websites recently.

Lately I've only been searching jewelry and shoe websites and those are the only types of ads I see in addition to the regular weight loss/health ads. Delete your internet browsing history & the food ads will likely stop until you visit another food-related website (at which point you can delete your history again).
    Hope this helps!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Ahh!! There it is again!! It's taunting me!!

whataburger.jpg
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    Oh good to know!! I just had a Dr. Scholls ad ..and now Cheerios ..
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the ads are generated by googleads. They use a cookie tracking software (or some such thing, I don't really understand it) that looks at the stuff you usually visit, and puts ads up that it THINKS you'll likely click on. The more time you spend on MFP and other weight related sites, the more weight related ads you'll see. Then you too can enjoy the scantily clad ladies, and my personal favorite, the obese lady (line drawing of her) who magically SHRINKS before your eyes.

One thing I HAVE discovered is that if you click on ads that you want to see more of (I've clicked on Cheerios, Special K, car ads, etc. that I KNOW are ok to view at work), you will see more of those types of ads and less of the other ads.

ETA: Also, clicking on ads sends $$$$ to Mike and Al so they keep making the site better! They both quit their jobs to work on MFP full time. I try to click at LEAST once a day!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I see ads for P90X (which I have done) and ads for diet supplements (which is just so so wrong).

Also the ad for the "flat stomach rule". Very fake and rude.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Just pretend all those food ads are made from sawdust---Icky Poo!!
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    mmmm...Whataburger. We don't have those around here and I'm sure happy about it. Nothing is better at 3am after the bars have closed then a whataburger burger. Too bad I don't drink or eat that stuff any more :laugh: That is mean! I thought I saw a Burger King ad the other day so maybe I wasn't seeing things :noway:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You can download a free program to clear out the cookies that trigger those ads that target where you have been. There are many around, but the one I recommend is called SUPERAntispyware. It is free, and you can get if from the Cnet site. They are pretty reliable when it comes to open source software. The free version does require you to manually request updates and manually request a scan, but it takes only a moment to do either and it really will clear out a lot of junk you don't need.
  • shadows1177
    shadows1177 Posts: 33
    Options
    Ahh!! There it is again!! It's taunting me!!

whataburger.jpg

Oh yuck! Look at that thing will all of the fat and calories just ozzing off of it! Does it come on a plate? I will eat the plate....
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    :angry: Not cool :grumble: