Half Marathon Training!

Options
Hi everyone!

I just started training for a half marathon in NYC on April 14th. I've run 5Ks before, but this seems really hard! I ran 6 miles for the first time today on the treadmill, and it was a struggle!

Does anyone have any advice? Am I on the right track? My goal is just to finish the race (preferably in under 2:45).

Replies

• 416runner
    Options
    Just bumping this up for you...Hard to say whether you are on track without knowing more. What kind of training program are you following? Was today's six miler your longest run so far? Are you doing any running outside or just on the TM?

I think going from six miles to thirteen in seven weeks is going to be something of a challenge - not insurmountable but you're really going to have to be focused and be smart - if you get injured you won't have time to recover and get back on track.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am also training for a 1/2 marathon but mine isn't until November. I did 6 the other day and will add a mile a month. That is about all I can do right now. Good luck you are going to have a great time and what a sense of accomplishment!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Follow the Hal Higdon's plan for a 1/2

You should be doing 2 short runs and one long run each week till race day. The most I have ever ran is 10 miles during training.

I am getting ready to do my 4th half marathon on April 7th.
  • xbratschex
    xbratschex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice! I am following the NYRR 10 week training plan for a half, but unfortunately, I'm about a week behind! I will check out the other training plan, also.

I ran 5.12M outside last week, and it felt better/I was a lot faster. The treadmill was boring and I'd rather run outside, and once it gets nicer, I'll be running outside mostly all the time.
  • courtfort
    courtfort Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found an app that put a Nike women's half training calendar on my phones calendar. My race is may 18. I'm nervous!!
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    I'm also just starting to train for my first half marathon which is also in April. I'll be following a 9 to 10 week program which will essentially be an extension of my 10km training program. I'll pretty much stick to the same speed sessions and tempo runs, but I will be increasing the mileage on my long runs to improve my endurance. How far you run depends on your current fitness level. My long runs are about 13km for my 10km training. For the half marathon I'll go 15km in the first 2 weeks, increase to 18km for the next 2 to 3 weeks, do a couple of 10km races in between and then taper 2 weeks before the half marathon.
  • EricV440
    EricV440 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just finished my second half marathon, the A1A half marathon in Fort Lauderdale, in 2:46:24. I first started training for the Disney Wine and Dine 1/2 marathon over 2 years ago, and promptly tore my calf muscle...twice!

When I got healthy, I used the Jeff Galloway training method. The most important part of running a half, or any other race, is to finish, preferably uninjured.

I managed to run the Disney Tower of Terror, my first race, 7 weeks after breaking a bone spur in my foot, so I know the program works. The spur was under my plantar tendon, so it would have broken eventually.
    I have also had five knee surgeries including reconstruction of the ACL.

Since I started running, my knee has never felt better. I am currently training for the Disney full marathon in 2014.

I don't know what condition you are in or your pace but, I do know the Jeff Galloway plan works. A friend of ours finished the last 1/2 he ran in with a pace of 7:23 a mile using the system.
    Here is a recap of my last run: http://ericvandeven.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/a1a-12-marathon-wrap-up/
  • swright920
    swright920 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a half marathon at the end of April with another one in June. I second the Jeff Galloway recommendation! John Bingham/Jenny Hadfield also have good run/walk programs.

Sue
  • xbratschex
    xbratschex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, everybody! I downloaded the Hal Higdon training app on my iPhone; it's awesome.

Good luck to everyone and happy running!