What is the best way to train for a 5k?

Options
I am doing the 5k color run this summer (in about 4 months) and I need to get ready for it, but im not sure what to do. Obviously running but is there anything specific that would help? I run on treadmills a lot, but I dont feel like that is enough. And currently where I live there is an abundance of snow on the ground. I need help!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you can run 5K on the treadmill you're well on your way. Road running is a bit harder but you'll still have time to hit the road before your run. There's also the fact that you don't have to run the whole thing. Lots of people do run/walk intervals.
  • amyplaysflute
    amyplaysflute Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Try couch to 5k! It's a running program designed for beginners. You can see the plan online or download an app for your phone (I've got a free one) that will tell you when to walk/run through your headphones.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Definitly do the C25K if you aren't running that far yet, and you can up the incline on your treadmil (to .5, or 1, or 1.5, whatever) and it will make the trasition from treadmill to road easier.
  • ktdiddy
    ktdiddy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have a really good training plan that you can print off - if you give me your email address, I can send it to you!
    It starts off really simple and stretches it across several weeks.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I've read that a 4-6% incline on the treadmill makes it much more similar to the impact/difficulty of running on pavement. When you're on 0% incline, the treadmill is doing 90% of the work for you. I was four weeks into my 5k training on the treadmill (without knowing this) before I attempted running outside and it felt like I hadn't trained a single day. It sucked!!

Where is your Color Run? I'm doing one in Minneapolis in July and am planning on using the Couch to 5k program.
  • Mogwai913
    Mogwai913 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Jeff Galloway has some great books with training programs in them. He uses a run walk run system and has specifics on what you do each day based on your goal time and current abilities. His books are available online, on ebay, and maybe at the public library. Good luck on your 5k.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    run for 5ks?
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I started couch 2 5k but found my forever pace in week 4. Just ran my first 5k last Saturday! Color me rad was afrikinmazing!!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Run.
    Run more.
    Run until you can run 5k
  • paulapafw
    Options
    I just did the Color Run on 2/16 and all of my training for it was on the treadmill with the exception of one run due to winter weather. It is possible. I even set a personal record for myself at the Color Run. It was an awesome event.

I've tried structure but that never seems to work out for me, but if it does I know a lot of folks like C25K. All I did was a lot of walk/run intervals and the more I felt that I could run longer the more I just did it. Also just get on the treadmill as often as you can. I started in late Nov. and my race was Feb 16th but I did have a set back in Jan due to chronic migraines and I still managed to run most of the race.

Train as much as you can and with the way that the Color Run is set up and the way they encourage you, I find you are running towards each color (run to each kilometer) to get that blast of color and before you know it you are done. At the 3K point there is a water station FYI if you need it.

It is so much fun and now I'm so hooked. Good luck and have a blast!
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k.
  • Harrington14
    Options
    Ktdiddy, my email address is vdaadancer14@yahoo.com. Thanks so much! That would be very helpful! Thanks for all of the other suggestions as well!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Try to do as much outside as you can. The 5k isn't going to be held in the gym, so you need to get used to weather, humidity, and most importantly HILLS!
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm training to do a 10k on May, but I also live in the frigid north and running outside is difficult (people need to shovel their freaking sidewalks!). You should have plenty of time to transition once it starts getting nice out, so I would just keep on with the treadmill, maybe upping the incline a bit to challenge yourself, and go from there.

Good luck! I'm doing the Color Run in Omaha: it's my first one and I can't wait!
  • laurenaphelps
    Options
    Congrats on thinking ahead and preparing for your race! My advice is to run often.. Run 15 minutes before or after every workout just to get your body used to running. Running even a short time every day helps me tremendously when I'm preparing for a race.

You can do it!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree I would download one of the many C25K apps and use that. Walk and run intervals, increase the running every week. It's a great app!

Good luck!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I'm doing my first Color 5K in April!

I walked/jogged/gaspedforair my first 5k last year. This year I want to run!