Fibromyalgia and exercise

Options
Need some suggestions: I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who has problems exercising due to fibromyalgia. Most days I am lucky to be able to move at all let alone exercise. I am on medication, but with winter it is so much worse. What do those of you with this condition do to allow your body the ability to exercise without causing severe pain. I have changed medications many times and this combination usually works well, but in the last couple months the pain has been severe and hard to control. Please share if you have found something that works for you.

Replies

• sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I also have fibromyalgia...and some days I just cannot exercise....BUT...I went off my medication due to the cost, and I have truly found that if you start on a good day and make yourself walk or ride an exercise bike, and just start with like 10 minutes you will gradually be able to do more and I am able to exercise most days now with no problem for an hour!! I honestly feel amazing compared to what I used to feel like...and also.......have you ever had a sleep study? Because I now have to use a CPAP and it is AMAZING how much that helped. Feel free to friend me!!
  • sondra216379
    Options
    The bike is easiest for me on good days and bad
  • sondra216379
    Options
    I am actually a little surprised there haven't been any more responses to this....surely there are many more people with fibromyalgia on here?
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I am the same as most of you.
    I find it very difficult to exercise and to do regular household things without debilitating fatigue and pain.
    I cannot even take meds due to my sensitivity to them (I have the 1% of all people get this reaction type problem).
    I know this is not uncommon in fibro.
    What I have found to help my pain in stretching.
    Simple, easy and free.
    It doesn't take the pain away but, it has made it possible to exercise sometimes and alleviate the pain.
    I got a book from the local library called "Healing Pelvic Pain" by Amy Stein.
    And even if you do not have pelvic pain these stretches help everything loosen up.
    I highly recommend them.
    Another thing I do is take Magnesium SRT (sustained release technology) from this website for fibromyalgia (from endpain.com is the website but you can get it other places too).
    Magnesium and Vit. D allow me to exercise more than before I started taking them.
    It doesn't give me any GI problems either. :-)

So, stretching really well and mag. + vit D.
    Nothing fancy but it works for me.
  • daisytrekker
    daisytrekker Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm beginning to think I may have fibromyalgia. I went to a doctor last week, and have more appointments next week. After the doctor mentioned that it was a possibility, I looked it up. If I have it, can I still work out? I've always worked out, but lately my body hurts so bad that it's a struggle to start, but once I start moving, I feel better. I've also backed off on the intensity and frequency of my workouts. Do you have any advice on working out?
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My advice is to listen to your body but also push yourself just a bit. Stretching is great, as is warming up before your work out. Also, stay active. Yes, it hurts but the less you do, the more you hurt when you are forced to do little things like go shopping or other everyday tasks. Heating pads and ice therapy are great to help joint and muscle pain. And keep your exercise low impact. Low impact aerobics, pilates, yoga, swimming, recumbent bikes, etc. Or just a simple walk. I know it's harder when it's cold out.

I have RA and Fibro and have worked my way up to doing Jillian Michaels' workouts. I find that doing strength training with 3lb weights really helps to build up my muscle strength which takes pressure off my joints. Also, losing weight helps too.

I agree with whomever said to take Magnesium. I take Calcium with Vitamin D and Magnesium every night before bed. It helps with deep muscle aches and restless leg. Also get a electric blanket or something similar to keep your muscles from seizing up when you sleep during cold nights. Hot baths or showers too. If you can, get a gentle massage which helps your muscles release toxins. I wish I could get them more than once or twice a year! And stay hydrated!

I take muscle relaxants to help my fibro but have used Cymbalta and Savella in the past.
  • fringedweller
    Options
    I have tried many different exercises for my Fibromyalgia . What works for me is aqua fit in the swimming pool. The water supports my body & Rebounder. I also apply Arnica Gel to the pain. I try not to take medication.
  • andreaahlers
    andreaahlers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also do not take prescription medications. I take high doses of Vitamin A, B12, C, D plus Amino Acids, MSM, Garlic, & Fish Oil. Try simple workouts like walking or using an elliptical or glider. Stretch deeply before and after. Start out at 5 minutes everyday, then add a minute or two every week. The key is to do it every single day, otherwise you get out of the habit and end up right back where you started. Also, as you lose weight you will feel a LOT better and be able to do more than you imagined.
  • HalloweenGirl7
    Options
    I hope we can make a group or keep posting.
    It is nice to hear others with fibro going through the same stuff and sharing what works for them.
    My main goal after I heal from foot surgery is lose the extra weight and develop some fitness and strength.
    I think what was said it such good advice to remember: consistency is the most important thing. Not what/or how long.
    I tend to over do it and pay the next couple of days.
    I am glad to hear that weight loss helps and that daily activity actually does increase strength and well being.
    I feel like if I don't push as hard as non fibro people I will never reach my goals but I am glad to hear I am wrong about that.
    My body is not the enemy and I am learning to not hate it for having fibro.
    It is part of who I am but not all of who I am.
    So, just wanted to say it was nice to hear from you all on this topic. :-)
  • xwench
    xwench Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Fibro in the late 90's and was originally treated with Darvocet and Vicodin for pain, neither of which made me feel any better during the time I took them. Eventually my doctor heard about a 10-12 week program that he was able to talk my insurance company into paying for. M-F, 8 hours a day, for 11 weeks I attended this program which consisted of gym exercises on the exercycle, treadmill, free-weights, bands, etc, warm water pool exercises, group therapy to talk about stress and ways to deal with it, bio-feedback, accupunture, massage, stretching and yoga. The first day I was sure I was going sneak back to my car at the lunch break and never come back, but it turned out to be such a positive experience and taught me a number of ways to deal with the Fibro. Shortly after that, the doctor I was seeing passed away and I found another doctor who changed my medications to a muscle relaxer and an anti-inflamatory along with Prozac. Within about 4-5 weeks I started noticing a difference in how I felt. I believe the med change and some of the things I learned in that program were extremely beneficial in my battle with Fibro. I have very few flare-ups these days but when I do, I MAKE myself get up and do some stretching, dancing or just move around, it really, really helps! It's great that the word is out there about Fibro now because when I was first diagnosed, so many people told me it wasn't a real medical problem and that it was all in my head. Hang iin there!
  • snowfox92
    snowfox92 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have it, and it does hurt to exercise, and move, but since I've always been physically active, I don't really have much of an issue getting out there. I find that my mountain biking (I started when I was 12) has significantly improved my abilities in being able to exercise. You just have to pick and choose something that works for you and stick with it I guess. I find I can't do push-ups and floor exercises because it kills me, but walking, and anything like that is fine for me as long as I don't overdo it.
  • diagyrl
    diagyrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also have Fibro --- it makes me incredibly tired all the time & makes me sore & achey --- and makes exercise really hard!

I think slow gentle stretching does help (it starts out really painful each time) but hang in there and hold the stretch for longer periods of time & it will loosen you up. I try to make sure that I hold the stretch for at least 30 seconds and push into it harder (NO BOUNCING) every 10 seconds.

Water is much easier on the joints and muscles then floor work - it doesn't mean you shouldn't do floor work - but if you have access to a pool you can do a lot there.

I have to take medication - but it is only partially helpful - I think it is one of thsoe things through which we have to just hang tough :(

I do think it is important to try and take plenty of Potassium, Magnesium, Vit B, and Pro-biotics to keep our bodies as balanced chemically as poss.

I am all for having a group where we can discuss this stuff together - it is hard!!!!!!!

Hugs - Dia
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    I contracted Lyme disease 5 years ago. I have had fibro type pains ever since. I can't get a DX though. I have felt better the past couple of months than I have in a very long time. When I was constantly in pain, I would take apple cider vinegar capsules and they would help with the inflammation and pain quite a bit. I used to have days where I could not even get out of bed. I am hoping if I lose some weight that if I happen to have another flare up that it won't be as bad if I'm not as heavy. Also, body brushing helps clear the lymphatic system, you should look it up. Plus it softens my skin, feels nice and my loose skin is starting to firm up better than it would without Body Brushing. For exercise I either walk, stretch or do T-Tapp which is very easy on the joints but still causes inch loss. (I've lost 21 inches overall since I started on Feb 1, and I haven't been super consistent with it.) I hope you have good days!
  • HalloweenGirl7
    Options
    Wow, such great tips!
    I am looking up the body brushing now.
    I am going to try to get a dry brush and see if that helps.
    I will try to incorporate yoga and walking as soon as I am able to get about (had foot surgery and am non-bearing right now).

My Dr. keeps trying to put me on Prozac but I am afraid it will make me fat and also that it will mess me up somehow (I have a hard time with medications as a lot of fibro. people do).
    I am doing well with End Pain from the Fatigued to Fantastic website to manage my pain. It takes longer to work than other reg. meds but it works just as well as them and is gentle on the system.

I agree about the vitamins though. I take D3, Jarrow Magnesium SRT, and pretty soon Naturemade for Her Multi. (I will see if I can tolerate it). As is usual with fibro I have overlapping issues: IBS and irritated bladder are 2 that make it hard to take supplements.

I take Calming Balance for anxiety right now which has a lot of B-vitamins in it but only 1-2 per day.
    I also was prescribed a low dose of thyroid med. (Levothyroxine).
    So, just wanted to let people know what works for me for pain/anxiety in case it might help someone.

I agree about moving/stretching when all you want to do is lie down.
    It really helps and I am always glad after a stretch. I think the muscles get so tight oxygen can't get to them. That's my humble theory anyway.

Also, wanted to share The Spoon Theory in case you have not read it yet. It is worth reading if you have the time. :smile:

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory-written-by-christine-miserandino/
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have it, and it does hurt to exercise, and move, but since I've always been physically active, I don't really have much of an issue getting out there. I find that my mountain biking (I started when I was 12) has significantly improved my abilities in being able to exercise. You just have to pick and choose something that works for you and stick with it I guess. I find I can't do push-ups and floor exercises because it kills me, but walking, and anything like that is fine for me as long as I don't overdo it.
    This is me too. I would sooo love to do floor exercises but it's impossible. The thought of my ribs or trigger points on my hips hitting the floor makes me cringe. Push-ups? That will never happen. I can't even do situps unless I'm in bed. lol Swimming is the best for me but I live in central IL so that's not possible for me year round. I decided to start walking on Christmas Eve and I'm up to about 240 miles! Now I'm doing it for St. Judes and my goal is 1,000 for the year. :) My knees no longer hurt as long as I walk on fairly level ground or hills that aren't real steep, more like slopes. I do have bad days where I feel like I've been run over but with the bonus of weight loss and the extra strength, I've found that I can do SO much more! The key is to start out slow. When I started walking on my treadmill I think I walked at the lowest speed, 1.5mph and only walked for 10-15 minutes. Now I can walk 7 miles or so but I take my time and if I start to hurt, I slow down. Also if I hurt when I'm done I deep rub my sore muscles (usually my calves) with lotion. Sometimes the more I rub them they get kind of numb so I rub even deeper with my knuckles and that helps a LOT. Even though it hurts to rub, it feels much better later. Also when I take my post-exercise shower, I turn the shower head towards my calves (or whatever hurts) and turn the heat up a bit, then after that I use a shower lotion like Olay. It is hard sometimes but definately worth the effort!
    Good luck to you!
  • jujudot
    jujudot Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Gentle stretching, yoga, exercise bands, walking, stationary bike (though this one hurts my tailbone a lot of the times!), swimming-these are my list of "safe" things to do. When I'm feeling brave I might throw in some actual hand weights or jog for a few minutes. The best thing I've learned is to listen to my body. If riding the bike is hurting me, I'll walk instead. If I'm having a really crappy day, I'll stay in my bed and stretch. Just gotta keep my body moving-and not eat to try to mask my pain!
  • suzihead
    suzihead Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi can I add you? i have fibro and chronic pain. that said i need to lose some weight because my chronic pain is worse when i'm heavier, plus i want to show my boys that you still need a healthy lifestyle and it's no point just giving in
  • JoyfullMovement
    JoyfullMovement Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I contracted Lyme disease 5 years ago. I have had fibro type pains ever since. I can't get a DX though. I have felt better the past couple of months than I have in a very long time. When I was constantly in pain, I would take apple cider vinegar capsules and they would help with the inflammation and pain quite a bit. I used to have days where I could not even get out of bed. I am hoping if I lose some weight that if I happen to have another flare up that it won't be as bad if I'm not as heavy. Also, body brushing helps clear the lymphatic system, you should look it up. Plus it softens my skin, feels nice and my loose skin is starting to firm up better than it would without Body Brushing. For exercise I either walk, stretch or do T-Tapp which is very easy on the joints but still causes inch loss. (I've lost 21 inches overall since I started on Feb 1, and I haven't been super consistent with it.) I hope you have good days!

I see this is an old post but hope to find you still here. I have fibromyalgia and am about to have a hip replacement. I just ran into a reminder about T-Tapp while online and a lightbulb went off. I had the pleasure of meeting Theresa years ago at a T-Tapp seminar but didn't really try it as I was a runner, lifted weights, etc. with my fibro life is very different now and I struggle to be able to exercise at all and think T-Tapp might be a great alternative. Do you still use the T-Tapp? I was wondering if you started with the More series which is for those with health issues. I am afraid it won't be enough for results. I know that sounds silly. My mind still can't comprehend the limitations my body has. I definitely plan to try T-Tapp but being it is a bit expensive hope to purchase the correct one for my needs.
    Thanks for any advice you can give. I hope all is going well for you.