Diet Soda

Options
2»

Replies

• KansasCowgirl
    Options
    Personally, Diet anything is out of my house. I am striving to keep artificial junk out of my life. I feel better without Diet Coke - and what goes great with an ice cold fountain Diet Coke? Carrots? No. A cheeseburger. Diet Coke makes me want to eat crap. So - it's buh bye Diet Coke!
  • dashingdeb
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions I know water is the best and I will be drinking more and more of it but as of right now Diet Dr Pepper is what I like so I will keep it that way. Good Luck to you all on getting healthy!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    As far as people who drink diet soda weighing more, I think that's a no brainer. When I wasn't overweight, I drank regular soda. When I gained weight (and started losing it), I switched to diet. Correlation does not equal causation. The dinosaurs are extinct and there are people who speed on the freeways. This is not the same as people speed on the freeways because the dinosaurs are extinct.

LOL. This is my type of analogy.
  • sodadog
    Options
    The fact is that if people want to retain something as part of their diet they will find a way to dissect the research and substantiate why it is all right to continue. I am a nurse and worked with a lot of oncology patients. I can tell you that no artificial sweetener is OK. You have to make your own choices in life. Splenda is one of the worst artificial sweeteners to come along worse than aspartame and saccharin combined and sadly it is being used in most diet products, especially ice creams. Almost no clinical studies were performed with Splenda in comparison to Aspartame or Saccharin. Splenda is created by adding Chlorine to sugar (Chlorine is a carcinogen)..by the way carcinogens are stored in fat cells which makes it even more dangerous for those of us who are carrying extra weight) The dangerous thing is that now Splenda is being called by it's chemical name (sucralose) not sucrose which is an actual sugar, but sucralose. I just bought Pedialyte the other day for a friendand noticed it is one of the ingredients. Most people are not aware of this chemical name but the last thing you should give a baby or small child is artificial sweetener. Their cells are immature and can be affected more seriously then those of a developed adult. But either way none of them are good choices. I got off all diet soda and Crystal Light 2 years ago. It honestly did not take me that long to loose the cravings, maybe two weeks. Like a few have posted before it is the carbonation first that causes a problem with metabolism. But the artificial sweeteners are a dangerous secondary effect. Try whatever you can to replace them eventually. Add fruit to your water, they sell really cool infusion beverage holders that keep the fruit, or cucumber, mint, etc separate from the water so you don't get particles. Do some further research on the internet. Patients always ask me when we will find a cure for cancer. My guess is when we stop ingesting bad chemicals and cooking in plastics. Our bodies were not equipped with the proper filters for all that. Good luck.
    Here are some good links: (they explain about the metabolism issues much better than I could)
    http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/factvsfiction/index.html
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/10/new-study-of-splenda-reveals-shocking-information-about-potential-harmful-effects.aspx
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is one of the most thoroughly tested compounds and has been found safe unless used in extreme quantities or if you have an allergy to one of the amino acids.

Diet Dr. Pepper helps me keep my cravings for sweets under control.

I say go for it!

Correct. Aspartame becomes dangerous when administering roughly 1000x the amount found in a daily soda, by hypodermic needle directly into the brain.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The dinosaurs are extinct and there are people who speed on the freeways. This is not the same as people speed on the freeways because the dinosaurs are extinct.
    W-T-F?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The fact is that if people want to retain something as part of their diet they will find a way to dissect the research and substantiate why it is all right to continue. I am a nurse and worked with a lot of oncology patients. I can tell you that no artificial sweetener is OK. You have to make your own choices in life. Splenda is one of the worst artificial sweeteners to come along worse than aspartame and saccharin combined and sadly it is being used in most diet products, especially ice creams. Almost no clinical studies were performed with Splenda in comparison to Aspartame or Saccharin. Splenda is created by adding Chlorine to sugar (Chlorine is a carcinogen)..by the way carcinogens are stored in fat cells which makes it even more dangerous for those of us who are carrying extra weight) The dangerous thing is that now Splenda is being called by it's chemical name (sucralose) not sucrose which is an actual sugar, but sucralose. I just bought Pedialyte the other day for a friendand noticed it is one of the ingredients. Most people are not aware of this chemical name but the last thing you should give a baby or small child is artificial sweetener. Their cells are immature and can be affected more seriously then those of a developed adult. But either way none of them are good choices. I got off all diet soda and Crystal Light 2 years ago. It honestly did not take me that long to loose the cravings, maybe two weeks. Like a few have posted before it is the carbonation first that causes a problem with metabolism. But the artificial sweeteners are a dangerous secondary effect. Try whatever you can to replace them eventually. Add fruit to your water, they sell really cool infusion beverage holders that keep the fruit, or cucumber, mint, etc separate from the water so you don't get particles. Do some further research on the internet. Patients always ask me when we will find a cure for cancer. My guess is when we stop ingesting bad chemicals and cooking in plastics. Our bodies were not equipped with the proper filters for all that. Good luck.
    Here are some good links: (they explain about the metabolism issues much better than I could)
    http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/factvsfiction/index.html
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/02/10/new-study-of-splenda-reveals-shocking-information-about-potential-harmful-effects.aspx

chlorine is also in table salt, our body is well adapted to deal with it

There is no study that has ever definitively linked diet sodas with cancers or neuropathy - every pound I have lost has been drenched in coke zero. Nothing I learned in medical school ever scared me away from it.

But to each there own, certainly water is definitely better for you, but I enjoy my coke zero
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Aspartame becomes dangerous when administering roughly 1000x the amount found in a daily soda, by hypodermic needle directly into the brain.

Darn! I'd better quit doing that RIGHT AWAY!
  • Berlygirl10
    Options
    [/quote]

You aren't really hydrating yourself and it is the carbonation which is the problem (ok, maybe the artificial sweetener isn't so great either). Plus, it costs more than water.

I cut out diet soda in order to save money on my grocery bill and to reduce the trash in the house. It wasn't for health reasons. Turns out I felt a lot better when I cut out carbonated drinks. I performed better in my sports as well.

Hope that helps.
    [/quote]

this I was drinking diet coke everyday and I what I ended up doing is not hydrating enough! I have found losing weight to be a lot easier this time! But do what feels right for you! try something for a few weeks and see .. Good luck!
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to soda mostly just Dr Pepper and I know it is super bad for you. So now I have changed and am addicted to Diet Dr Pepper. It is zero cals so I do not see why it is bad. I find myself having 2-4 a day. Can someone tell me if this is good or bad or a good way to change it. Thank you!

I don't know if this specifically pertains to Dr. Pepper but some diet soda contains aspartame which attacks your brain cells and can cause acute memory loss. It also contains artificial sweeteners which sound good to our ears because of less calories but, they aren't good for us.
    A good thing you can do is limit how many you can have in a week so that you're not having it everyday. Most people have a hard time going cold turkey when they enjoy something. Try 4 for the entire week and every time you crave it eat a piece of fruit. Your body will thank you.
  • harleigh67
    Options
    If you are here to learn a healthier lifestyle or lose weight then LOSE THE SODA....
    We have all these supposedly great soda alternatives from low cal, to no caffeine to , zero calories,
    funny that the obesity rate continues to grow...

I truly understand soda addiction.I started drinking coke at age 2, until 18 then I got married and he drank RC close enough I went with it.....then I found the love of my life PEPSI....which i have been drinking since....43 year soda drinker here
    I drank a 24 pack a day.... that is 7 24 packs a week all by myself I was a Pepsiholic....

The last time i quit .....

I weaned my self down slowly, I started by drinking a bottle of water between each Pepsi found I drank less
    went down to a 12 pack a day!

then second week I would drink 2 bottles of water between each....and continued this way until it got to a can a day when I wake up in the morning, but I fall back into drinking more occasionally like when I go out with friends to eat on auto pilot when asked tell them Pepsi..
    the last week before I quit I started taking a Motrin each morning, then stopped and still toke Motrin. each morning to prevent the caffeine headache

When I quit before I went 6 months)with out a Pepsi I felt awesome, looked better and I also..... dropped 30 pounds the first month I quit ..... lost another 20 in the next 5 months and I was not exercising or eating right....lost 50 pounds in 6 months by just giving up soda!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but since they started all these preservatives, chemicals on our fruits & veggies, GMOs, fake sweeteners etc in our foods and drinks the obesity levels rose in our country, disease & illnesses rose....... like Diabetes, Multiple Sclerosis,, Fibromyalsia ,Cancer and more..... have taken a toll on people and they continue to rise

People who have given up soda, eat organic fruits & veggies, grass fed meats are much healthier than other people and those who were sick and changed their diets to eat healthier have had less problems, symptoms and are getting better.

See all these companies & doctors doing studies do not get paid if you are not sick, So it is to their advantage to tell you a chemical laden food or drink is fine!!

i HAVE MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, FIBROMYALSIA, GERD,IBS,, VERTIGO, INFLAMMATION, AND SEVERE THYROID ISSUES.....I CHANGED HOW I EAT (ORGANIC 7 GRASS FED) AND I FELL SO MUCH BETTER, I HAVE NOT HAD A FLARE UP SINCE I STARTED, MY STOMACH AND INTESTINES ARE WORKING WELL, I HAVE LESS HEADACHES, LESS ACID RE-FLUX, AND DOING 60% BETTER THAN i WAS........

WELL I HAVE YET TO STOP DRINKING PEPSI, AND AM STRUGGLING TO GET WEIGHT OFF.....SO TOMORROW i AM STOPPING PEPSI SO I CAN DROP THIS EXTRA WEIGHT AND GAIN THAT OTHER 30%o OF MYSELF.... BECAUSE I KNOW I WILL NEVER BE 100% AGAIN AS I HAVE PERMANENT DAMAGE BUT I WANT TO REGAIN AS MUCH OF MYSELF AS POSSIBLE......
    AGAIN I AM QUITTING TOMORROW NO MORE PEPSI AND MY BEST FRIEND STOPPED DRINKING DR. PEPPER AND WITH IT SOME OF HER PROBLEM STOPPED WHEN SHE DID........

YOU ARE NOT A CAR WHICH CAN HAVE REPLACEMENT PARTS INSTALLED OR TRADE IN ON A NEWER MODEL YOU WERE GIVEN ONE BODY, SO TAKE CAR OF IT BECAUSE THAT IS ALL YOU GET!

IS YOUR HEALTH AND OR WEIGHT ISSUES WORTH HAVING THAT TASTE IN YOUR MOUTH!!

Ultimately the decision is yours, but I will tell you straight up there is no way in hell I would ever drink DIET......... I see the words DIET, FAT-FREE OR LOW FAT , I think Chemical **** STORM! If I can not read or pronounce its ingredients I will not eat it...
    My father switched to diet pop and became diabetic after about 5 years of drinking it, his blood sugar went up into the 260 range and they could nit get it under control, he started insulin injection I tried to get him back onto regular pop, he refuses and is sicker now....still will not listen still getting healthier and sicker......that was his choice

just give it up with me.......Here's to our Health if you decide to live healthier

If you choose not to...best of luck with your health!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Always love the "if you can't pronounce it" statements. Like that's a pre requisite for "non chemical" foods!:laugh:

Pronounce these: neohesperidin, naringin, rhoifolin, lonicerin, hesperidin, and other polymethoxyflavonoids (tangeretin, nobiletin, sinensetin, auranetin, rutin, etc.) dimethoxycoumarin and umbelliferone, citraurin, violaxanthin, and cryptoxanthin.

Believe it or not, that's the chemical make up of an orange peel.

Diet soda is fine in moderation. There aren't real health issues (unless you have PKU) that pertain to the general public.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sodadog
    Options
    What?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You lost me at Mercola. MercoLOLa is a crackpot and his "science" has been thoroughly debunked.

You also lost me at the 'chlorine' thing. Table salt is sodium chloride - one sodium atom and one chlorine atom. Sodium is an element of NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) which is highly toxic. Chlorine (Cl) is also toxic. But when mixed together, they form a compound that is found in many of our foods. Isn't that strange?
    Diet soda is fine in moderation. There aren't real health issues (unless you have PKU) that pertain to the general public.
    QFT.
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Nothing beats good old h2o,diet soda is worse then normal soda