Sodium content in Taco seasoning packet

Options
Was soo amazed at how much sodium is in the taco seasoning packets at the store this morning. Some were as high as 830mg. It nearly made my ankles swell on contact. The lowest one that I found was Chi Chi's taco seasoning packet with 240mg...still not the greatest, but wanted to share my finding. If anyone knows of a lower sodium mix or a homemade mix you know of, I would appreciate the information. Thank you.

Replies

• kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    I make tacos using this recipe:

Brown 1½ lb ground beef

Add the following ingredients:

1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic salt
    2 tsp chili powder
    ½ tsp cumin
    dash pepper
    2 cans tomato sauce

My kids love it!!! I also use Boca brand crumbles instead of the ground beef. The kids and hubby know when I replaced the beef when I eat with them!!!

Good luck!

Kristine
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-II/Detail.aspx

Here is an address to taco seasoning that has no salt in it. I hope this helps! :)
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I use Ortega 40% less sodium Taco Seasoning Mix. 1/6 envelope or 1Tbl 260mg sodium. Still looking for more choices though, but this does have a great flavor.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Here's an enchilada sauce recipe that's only 192mg of Sodium in comparison :blushing: You can use this in place of Taco Seasoning.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Red-Enchilada-Sauce/Detail.aspx
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash's seasonings. They have 0 sodium and taste great! I love the Chipotle and Extra Spicy!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We are vegetarians also and use Boca. I only wish I could find meat crumbles that were gmo free.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-II/Detail.aspx

Here is an address to taco seasoning that has no salt in it. I hope this helps! :)

Thanks, that's awesome!! I've been too lazy to come up with a recipe, now I have one!
  • relicsloft
    relicsloft Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ok i am not sure where you are from, and this will make a difference. There is no quick seasoning that replaces real tacos... but your best bet is change it up to fresh. my basics are always white sweet onion and a RED bell pepper (i love a jalapeno diced very fine, if your like spicy!) use just enough e.v.olive oil to coat the pan, med-high for the veggies after they are tender add meat, use the leanest meat in smallerclumps turn to med-low, cook meat until brown, you can still drain but there is less to drain. dont for get the power of cilantro and lime!!! cilantro is odd alone for me but lime is awesomeand together they are the best, i will even use lime juice in the cooking. corn torillas just warm and soft, meat veggie mix (some days more meat, somedays more veggies), with diced raw onion, FRESH cilatro chopped fine and FRESH lime juice. OMG i love it!! i only have ever liked to used taco seasoning to mix with sour cream... thats fantasic too!
    oh yeah and tacos would be without sodium and full of yummy. thats FreshMEX
  • Fat_n_Happy
    Fat_n_Happy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's not even for the whole packet, either........that's just 1 serving.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I use my own spice mix.

1 1/2 T chili powder
    1 1/2 t cumin
    1 t garlic powder
    1/8 t cinnamon
    1/3 t ground corriander
    1/4 t kosher salt

I use fresh chopped onion
    1 can black beans reduced sodium (reserve 1/4 cup juice) drain and rinse remainder
    1 can petite diced tomatoes
    1/4 water

I have Turkey Tacos posted. Otherwise great with beef as well.
  • msmagooo
    msmagooo Posts: 1
    Options
    Epicureselections.com has a Taco seasoning that contains only 10mg of sodium - Most of their products are low sodium or sodium free. Tasty too!