High Protein Foods

Resa52
Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
I'm allergic to nuts of all kinds and it seems like all of the "convenient" foods that offer high protein are offering it through nut content. I know eggs and beans offer decent protein, what else is out there? I'm especially looking for stuff that is either easy to grab and go or would work as a snack as opposed to as a meal component. Ideas anyone?

Replies

• Hello! :smile: Have you tried Greek yogurt? It has quite a bit of protein!
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    If you eat dairy, string cheese is a great way to get protein. I also like dried chickpeas with a little taco seasoning on them, though of course that's beans. Hummus and carrots or other veggies you like is also quick and easy -- you can either buy the little packs of hummus or just buy a tub/make your own and break it down into individual servings. If you eat meat, small chunks of ham or turkey, or slices of lunchmeat rolled up (around a pickle!) are also great grab and gos that you can make ahead of time.
  • beef jerky
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, smoked fish
  • brokenhonu
    brokenhonu Posts: 21 Member
    beef jerky

This
  • There are some protein bars and granola bars out there that do not have nuts in them, you could look for those.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    If you like tuna, you can mix a can of tuna with 1/2 cup of egg beaters or a couple of scrambled eggs, 1.5 tbsp of mayo, some pickles or hot peppers, and some cilantro or parsley. Add a tsp or so of the pickle / pepper juice for flavor.

With egg beaters the whole thing will run about 255 calories, 3g carbs, 6g fat, and 45g protein. Half of it makes a decent sandwich on a sandwich thin (although that drops the protein & ups the carbs).
  • There are TONS of high protein foods that aren't nuts! You don't mention whether or not you are veggie, but the first things that spring to mind are cooked chicken, turkey, prawns & tuna! Those wee tins of tuna pack quite a protein wallop. Cottage cheese is great too, and you can buy lots of lovely flavoured ones, or try making your own. I also like eating cottage cheese with PB2 & raspberries, sometimes chocolate chips. Greek yoghurt too is high in protein. Sometimes I make tuna salad with tuna, greek yoghurt, sweetcorn and black pepper. Mmm!

If you're veggie/vegan maybe look to quinoa, which is a complete protein and very versatile. Beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, seitan and protein supplements are options also.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Cottage cheese, tuna, tofu, peanut butter, turkey, chikkan, beans lentils, greek yoghurt, fish. Also there is always proteine shakes ...tho you did said food/food.Spinach perhaps, but i like spinach so am maybe making things up
  • paisleytevir
    paisleytevir Posts: 11 Member
    Chicken Breast and Tuna are my two favorites, also love the Quest Protein Bars because I can stash them in my desk at work! Greek yogurt is good too and you can mix it with oatmeal or smoothies. Even use it as a sour cream substitute.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Tuna on crackers? I rely on fish for high protein but that does not help you for snacks. What about lowfat cottage cheese with berries mixed in?
  • I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.pro-proteinshake.com - My personal favourite is the Labrada Lean Body Hi-Protein shake because of the high protein:carb ratio.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Thanks you guys! I'm aware of things like chicken breasts but definitely am not going to grab one of those while running out the door to go to work in the morning LOL

Eating greek yogurt and some "Pro Force" high protein yogurt, just started adding in some cottage cheese as well. Thanks for the great ideas!
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Protein powder as well.
  • marconline
    marconline Posts: 5 Member
    Protein powder with milk/up n go