exercise v budget

Options
Am thinking of joining the gym/doing more exercise which ultimately means eating more food to eat back my calories right? which on my household budget doesnt make sense, ie joing gym cost £s more food cost£s. dont know what to do, household budget wont stretch that far! healty eating definately costs more which is pretty rubbish :-(

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You can exercise at home or outdoors rather than paying for a gym but sadly eating more will be a by-product of your efforts. Look out for cheap sources of protein like tuna and eggs and up your carbs and you should be OK.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    You can exercise at home or outdoors rather than paying for a gym but sadly eating more will be a by-product of your efforts. Look out for cheap sources of protein like tuna and eggs and up your carbs and you should be OK.

this ^^^

there are a lot of bodyweight exercises you can do at home, or you can download exercise videos from you tube. If you save money by not joining a gym, the extra food will be much less than what you pay in gym membership.

beans are a good budget food, high in protein and healthy carbs. 1 tin of baked beans is maybe 300 calories, and supermarket own brand baked beans are very good value, especially if you buy a multipack

plus the above suggestions
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I looked at my budget to see what I could cut back on to join the gym, came up with a few things. Didn't consider at the time that eating more would cost more. Still haven't. Just be more resourceful, it's only about an extra snack or two you will need to eat, so really shouldn't affect your food budget too much. Buy everything that is on special, shop at Aldi, etc.

Plus, you don't have to join a gym, you can walk, jog, run, do resistance training with your own body weight or copy exercises off the Internet. Try bodyrocktv and others like it.

I love exercising, and (for me) I always eat better if I'm working out. No sense wasting all that physical effort.

Good luck with your decision!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Walking is a fantastic exercise and you can burn heaps of calories. Just think of all the thousands of people who sit in traffic waiting to get to the gym to walk on a treadmill!
    I also read a scholarly article in the last couple of days that suggested that there is no correlation between an increase of exercise and apetite. I'm sorry I can't find it at the moment.
    Just eat within your calorie allocation (inc the calories burned during exercise) and increase your daily activity.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • ladycoy
    ladycoy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    See! and thats why i love mfp and everyone on here , thanks for you input. X
  • ladycoy
    Options
    I go walking with the dog but its just so cold right now, figured gym be warmer lol :-)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Who says you HAVE to eat more? I only eat if I'm hungry, very rarely will get as far as my exercise cals and I burn over 1000 cals a day on exercise alone.

As far as gym, you can do it all at home for a fraction of the cost.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Even if you manage 500 calories a day from exercise it really is very easy to add those back in, a few more carbs (which tend to be low cost) aren't a bad idea if you are exercising.
    The extra calories don't have to come from extra food - just different food. Swap out any low-cal foods for their regular equivalents, I've just had a quick look at your diary and you are eating a lot of "diet" foods and drinks.
    Some fruit would help too.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

Bump...

1. Plenty of exercise options available online. Search for body weight exercises, At home or travel exercises. No gym workout etc...
    2. As too food you can also search for that too. Budget / inexpensive protein / calorie options, etc.. here is one link : http://www.coachcalorie.com/cheap-sources-of-protein/ :bigsmile:

Now stop with the Excuses and get to WORK! :laugh:
  • hattie869
    Options
    Outside excercise is great and i really believe healthy eating doesnt have to be expensive. Bulk buying apples and other fruit makes it cheaper. I buy a lot of oats, eggs, lentils etc. Buying veg in season is cheaper as well. I have found that i am eating less as well so the food i buy is lasting longer. I also have cut right down on red meat, wine and 'treats' so the money i save there i buy healthy treats - almonds, natural cearel bars etc. Hope that helps! :smile:
  • myyovett
    myyovett Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    gyms are great, but I prefer working out a home. I rent videos from the libray, go on youtube, walk all over my town.... there a ton of ways to work out on your own so that you can afford good food!
  • ladycoy
    Options
    Even if you manage 500 calories a day from exercise it really is very easy to add those back in, a few more carbs (which tend to be low cost) aren't a bad idea if you are exercising.
    The extra calories don't have to come from extra food - just different food. Swap out any low-cal foods for their regular equivalents, I've just had a quick look at your diary and you are eating a lot of "diet" foods and drinks.
    Some fruit would help too.

Thanks for your ideas, i need to get myself in the mind set that its not a DIET its changing habits, i just have to be careful with fats as i am on vey low fat diet due to gallstones which i am awaiting an op, recently had very bad bout and was in hospital on morphineand iv antibiotics for five days all after eating ham and pineapple pizza lol, so very wary of cheeses etc lol
  • ladycoy
    Options
    I LOVE YOU GUYS,!!!!!

I LOVE THE MOTIVATION YOU GIVE,

I LOVE BEING ABLE TO TALK ABOUT THESE THINGS
  • ladycoy
    Options
    gyms are great, but I prefer working out a home. I rent videos from the libray, go on youtube, walk all over my town.... there a ton of ways to work out on your own so that you can afford good food!

I would need to evict the family, they would laugh. i have a wi fit, in its box! wonder if that would help?
  • mayeast
    mayeast Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thats the problem with Feb - it is cold for walking but just remember in a few more weeks you will be able to get out and walk the dog more - which is better than been stuck in an over warm gym, and if you are like me I prefer to get out with the dog rather than shut the dog in and then stress about having time to give it the walk it deserves. Wrap up walk quickly and enjoy.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I dont know why people assume that eating clean is expensive, my food and gym cost is a grand total of £32 per week... thats it the only additional costs are new trainers and clothes as I have lost weight. I plan my meals in advance for the week so I dont overbuy and I eat between 1200-1600 calories per day and I buy protein powder which is included in the cost.
  • ladycoy
    Options
    I dont know why people assume that eating clean is expensive, my food and gym cost is a grand total of £32 per week... thats it the only additional costs are new trainers and clothes as I have lost weight. I plan my meals in advance for the week so I dont overbuy and I eat between 1200-1600 calories per day and I buy protein powder which is included in the cost.
    [/quote

I live in Jersey! you gotta be a millionaire to live comfy here ie loaf of bread wholemeal £2.85 litre of skimmed jersey uht milk, we produce our own milk £1.10 eggs£2 for six. gym membership £75 per month but a cracking view over one of the most beautiful bays lol. so, as i am not a millionaire, its round the cycle track in the wind for me :-) thanks for you r comments tho :-)