Cardio excersices if you have a knee injury

Options
I have a bad, long term knee injury that keeps me off my feet too much, and bending is nearly impossible with it. I have always been a little on the heavy side, and this has just made it worse. But, it's recently been brought to my attention that becoming a healthier weight may help some, and also my overall health. I was wondering if you guys knew of any excersices that I can still do that could help me burn more calories?

Replies

• danmcgarrigle5
    Options
    swimming and recumbent bike. What is your injury? I had a serious knee injury that finally required surgery, I was in Mexico when I injured it or I would have had surgery then. Swimming and the bike were the only thing that helped other than pain meds and all that did was mask the pain. The less I used it the more it hurt. Not to sound mean but for the longest time I used it as an excuse to get out of many things, you either need to not let it stop you and find what works or get to a doctor to get it fixed, or both
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    My biggest issue is the more that I use it, the worse it gets. I've seen multiple doctors, and I've been told there isn't much more than medication that can help, and its gradually getting worse every day (its already been 15 months) Even if I just do a moderate amount of housekeeping I end up very swollen and in terrible pain. Basically I need excersices that don't involve my leg. I've recently been having trouble with muscle spams in my thigh and anything that pulls on it seems to increase them. I live in ny so can't use my pool, and can't join any sort of gym because I can't work, so can't afford it.
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Look for chair workouts on youtube xxx
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have a long term knee issue as well- I know how you feel! When my knee was at its worst, making sure to rest, elevate, and ice it when necessary was a huge help in keeping the swelling under control. For my particular situation, the rehabilitation solution was to strengthen the individual muscles around the knee to stabilize it and then work back up to my normal intensity of workouts and work my way up to jumping/strenuous exercise. That being said, that is only my experience.

Not knowing what kind of injury you have, I don't know what your doctor has told you to do to remedy it. If you feel that being at a healthier weight would take some of the strain off, you could really focus on your diet and daily activity as a means of weight loss for the time being instead of looking for an exercise solution and then explore that more as your knee improves and the pain lessens.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    Thanks for the YouTube idea, I hadn't thought of that. I've tried therapy before but it didn't work and actually made it worse. I'd like to forces more on my diet, but if I wait for my knee to improve, it could be a while. The last dr that I saw said if it improved, it would be a long course, to the point he wouldn't even give me a time estimate. I used to really love walking, and can't much anymore, I'd just like to feel a bit more active. And yes, ice and elevation can be total lifesavers. I really like my heating pad also.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i have just come off crutches for 3 months so i can relate to this!
    not sure if you allowed to swim or not but say not then try punching in the air sounds silly but you wont last long! and it can really get the h/r going too! up/down/side to side and if thats way to easy add some little weight in while doing it! :bigsmile:
    fast recovery x
  • GasnotGas
    GasnotGas Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I too suffered a nasty knee injury in my 20's as a result I can't go running. I have found that I can use the cross trainer at the gym without issue and use the bike. I still need to stretch my legs everyday but I'm sure you can find a way to make the best out of the situation. Again this is just my experience.

My recovery process involved using exercise bands, basically you tie your foot to a chair or bed post (easy now!!) and pull away at different angles. hard to explain, see the 4th photo down on this site for an idea http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8119350/knee-strengthening-exercises-knee-rehabilitation.htm

Daily stretching, and massaging the muscles that were the "victim" of my bad knee, usually the quadriceps.
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    I tried the bike in therapy, and it made it worse, but the stretching may not be too hard on it. Any suggestions of good stretches that aren't too strenuous?
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The stationary bike really hurt me initially until a PT at the gym set the bike up properly for me.
    I swim with a pull-buoy float between my knees which in turn means I get a good cardio work out and core work out.
    I use an elliptical and rower and have to stretch every day - it took a month for my quads to react and stretch out properly and I have invested in a foam roller and a mini-trampoline recently as well as resistance tubes.

I will be having two surgeries done on my knees to sort out cartilage issues but at the moment I train 5-6 days a week - either at the gym or using a Wii Fit.

My GP and physio also did say that if I manage to reach my first goal, the weight loss will help a lot regarding the pain factor.

Good luck in your journey.
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    My knee is unstable and tends to give out at random times, so i don't know if I could feel safe on an elliptical, but the rower is a good idea. What stretches do you do?
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My knee is unstable and tends to give out at random times, so i don't know if I could feel safe on an elliptical, but the rower is a good idea. What stretches do you do?
    Well my knee used to give out a lot too - I had let the muscles around the knee pretty much atrophy through non-activity (my knees were one of the reason I quit sport when I was 30 and always found excuses not to do stuff consistently "because my knees are knackered")
    It was when I had to climb to the very top of the Olympic Swimming Stands last year and thought I was gonna collapse that something had to change...

My stretches take about 30 mins and have developed over the years and most recently in the last few months.
    Crunches
    Some Pilates-type stretches
    Hip stretches
    Hamstring stretches
    knee strengthening exercises
    Quad stretches
    Back stretches
    Then all topped off with torture using a foam roller ... Well gawd when first started using it oh my word it hurt to high heaven.
    Now even the IT Band stretch is not as bad -

The best thing I would suggest is initially see a physio to see where exactly the pain is presenting (everything for me is in the front so all cartilage and kneecap based).
    They will give you stretches that will focus not just in the knees but there are often other factors that are making them hurt, so for me the fact my hamstrings and quads were wasted down to nothing gave me HUGE issues and they were the first things I had to work on to strengthen, then the IT Band which runs down the outside of your hip and thigh to the top of your knee was tight as a drum, hence the foam roller and that gawd awful stretch.

But ... When I first had issues back in 2009 (so 9 years after quitting athletics) my physio warned me there was only so much that could be done with physio - and that eventually it may mean surgery ... Which is where I am now - but at least I know what the issues are, and have made that first step to get much fitter, and lighter which ought to help going forward.
  • nicoled6842
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestions. :) I'm only 19, and don't wanna let this determine my life. The drs have told me they can't do anything surgically, and this is long term, but I think losing the excess weight would help me at least a little bit.
  • supah_
    supah_ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have used a rowing machine in a pinch - you can use your legs as little or as much as desired. You would be surprised how much work it takes when you get going.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The trainer I first saw at the gym suggested walking in the pool as a good start, as it is very low impact, and high resistance.
    I started walking 20 lengths, then started to add swimming to it. Now I dont need to walk in the pool, I just swim... my legs are still the weaker part of my stroke, but I am getting full range of motion and a full body workout.
  • nicoleh08
    nicoleh08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this post...I had a major knee injury in the summer of 2011. I basically tore everything my knee and have had 3 different surgeries. I have good days and bad days....I'm struggling though because on my bad days it takes everything I have to get through 5 min on the elliptical. Not because of the burn, but because of knee pain.
    Usually I end up doing the bike which is alright but I don't feel like I'm getting enough of a workout. I've been discouraged lately, but keep plugging away. Something is better than nothing right!?
    My gym doesn't have a pool, but I can't wait for summer so I can get back in. It helped me a ton last summer!