I've put on weight and don't know why?

Options
Hello

I've been working hard to try and lose weight and progress has been slow but each week I would lose some weight so I continued. This week though I didn't lose any weight and put on 0.5 lbs, I know it's not much but don't understand why I didn't lose any weight but put weight on.

Below is the data from this week.

Sunday: remaining 128 net 1072
Monday: remaining 460 net 740
Tuesday: remaining 26 net 1174
Wednesday: remaining 24 net 1176
Thursday: remaining 132 net 1069
Friday: remaining 403 net 797
Saturday: remaining -168 net 1368

My calorie calculation is 1200 a day. As can be seen I have been under my calorie limit except Saturday but overall weekly I'm under. I exercise 6 days a week and don't know why I haven't lost any weight. I'm no where near my weight loss goal as still have 1.5 stone to lose.

Any advice and help would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Replies

• xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am interested to see the response to this as I have same problem. Haven't put any on but not had any loss for over 4 weeks. Exercise everyday and always under my1200 limit!! Frustrating I know!!!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough so your body is holding on to the little you are giving it. Here is a link to work out how much you should be eating.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    i think 1200 is low but you should be eating that as net. your body will go into starvation mode if you dont. i think this may be your problem x
  • terilou87
    terilou87 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    try scoobieworkshop.com to help you work out what how many calories you should be eating all it does is work out yout tdee and takes 20% so that your eating enough to stop starvation mode and enough to lose weight x
  • kazitykaz
    kazitykaz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses. I just did the calculations on fat2fit radio and apparently I should be eating 1800 calories a day. I'm not sure if this would actually help me lose weight. I sometimes struggle to eat the 1200 a day and look for food just to make it up to that. I'm only 5ft and think that if I ate 1800 a day I would put on weight. This whole starvation mode/metabolic rate if you under eat really confuses me.
  • JudyB21
    JudyB21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My target is 1200 cals and I did struggle some days to meet it. I lost 5lbs really quickly then nothing in a week in which I worked out regularly and ate 'well'....so I thought. This week I have tried to increase my net when I can and have lost weight. Eat more! I am just under 5'2. 1800 cals sounds like a lot but might be worth trying.
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    I've seen lots of posts about why 1200 isn't enough. Read all the links about the road map and although it probably works I'm convinced the MFP system can work too. However if you are eating at 1200 calories, are you recording all your exercise calories and eating them back? If not your going to be eating way too little.
    You can follow the road map or eat your exercise calories but if you don't do either your depriving your body.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    MFP sure does work if you do as you are suppose to and eat your exercise cals back. Its the same thing as working out your calories with exercise included such as TDEE -20%
  • kazitykaz
    Options
    I've been eating some of my calories back from exercise but not all. May try this week making sure I net 1200 including my exercise. Lets see how it goes. Thank you all for the advice :-).
  • PapillonKisses
    Options
    Are you about to have your period? I can gain anything from 500-800g leading up to my period.
  • Arwaxx
    Arwaxx Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    do not eat less then 1200, and eat your burnt calories
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    Also if your doing alot of exercise you could be gaining muscle and loosing fat, try taking measurements too.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you have been doing and be patient. You don't gain fat without extra calories which means the weight has to be something other than fat if you have been eating less calories than you are burning. Water weight sucks, I know. Or if you have only a small amount of weight to lose you need to set yourself up to only lose 1/2 pound per week and eat more calories.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    MFP sure does work if you do as you are suppose to and eat your exercise cals back. Its the same thing as working out your calories with exercise included such as TDEE -20%

This.

The goal of MFP isn't to be UNDER that number but at it! It's a large deficit already so why cheat yourself? Try actually NETTING 1200, meaning you eat your exercise calories back and see how that helps bc that's how it's designed. You definitely need to be eating more with such a low loss goal.
  • debbes01
    debbes01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. I lost over 5 lbs in 4 weeks but now am gradually gaining. I exercise 4 days a week walking 30 minutes and riding a stationary bike for 30. I know that's not much exercise and I'm adding to that daily. I'm 66 yrs. old. My daily calorie intake should be 1220 but I find that had to always eat. Any suggestions?
  • debbie6868
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • debbes01
    debbes01 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try but I feel like I'm eating too much. I'm a long time Weight Watcher member and this is much easier but it may be a mind thing, know what I mean?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Don't let one week without losing weight get you down.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Also if your doing alot of exercise you could be gaining muscle and loosing fat, try taking measurements too.

She would not be gaining muscle eating so little. You need a surplus of calories to build muscle.

OP, eat more. Your deficit is far too high. You are most likely losing muscle along the way.

Set your goal to lose 0.5lbs per week (or a 15% cut off TDEE) and eat your exercise calories back.
  • kazitykaz
    Options
    Don't know what I've done wrong. On people's advice I ate more to try and lose weight and only lost 0.25 lbs. I need to loss another 25 lbs and don't know why it's going so slow. It's really annoying me now and feel like it's not worth all the effort.

This week:

Sunday ate 1302 calories, net 1201
    Monday ate 1544 calories, net 1200
    Tuesday ate 1782 calories, net 1304
    Wednesday ate 1583 calories, net 1583
    Thursday ate 1217 calories, net 165
    Friday ate 1070 calories, net 837
    Saturday ate 2142 calories, net 1341

I ate under my net some days to account for what I had eaten over my net on other days.

Please help as I still don't know what to do.

Thank you