Skinny fat to skinny is HARD :(

Options
Hey guys!

Well I have had the 2 most terrible days with diet. I'm finding going from "skinny fat to skinny" is very VERY hard! I feel like I'm slipping up more with diet.

I am 123lbs looking to get down to 115-119lbs. I want to be nice and toned, strong and fit in to jeans with no "muffin tops" haha. Jillian Micheals is my aim :P

I have a good workout routine, which also slipped in the last 2 days. :( anyone else in my position finding the last part of weight loss really tough? Looking for motivation, tips and advise. Anyone in my boat please feel free to add me anyone actually.

Really need advise! SOS!

X

Replies

• marconline
    marconline Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Give this a read. Helped me a LOT

http://www.doyoueven.com/2013/01/iifympart1/

Check part 2 also
  • pandatoot
    Options
    Omg we are in the same boat. 123lbs trying to get around 115_118 but it's been 2 months and nothing anymore. It's so frustrating!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Weight training is my advice. Stronglifts 5x5 is great if you are new to lifting

It's OK to have slip up days (not sure if you are referring to eating or just not getting to workout) but just pick yourself up and make the next day a better one.

You can do this! GL!
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have started weight training and I do love it. It's just hard to get down to this weight! Grrrrrr
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's a sign that the weight you have chosen is too low for your body.

I agree with the above poster - start lifting anf building muscle and you'll find your frame looks better and less "skinnyfat" - skinnyfat isn't too much fat it's not enough muscle. Severe diets will make the situation worse not better.
  • stacw1987
    stacw1987 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am 5ft 2 so I think the weight I have chosen is doable and I try and eat plenty, plus my calories back.

I will just have to keep going!

Thanks for the advise guys :)
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, the last bit is hard. When I hit 68kg, I will probably have more fat to lose, but I am plaining to maintain to give my body a rest and just concentrate on getting strong and working my fitness. If the fat stays around I might change my plan, but for now I will try this.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is open your diary and explain what type of training you're doing, just doing JM or "weight training" isn't specific. Are you following a strength program or just doing whatever you feel like? There are no rooms for ambiguity here if you want real results.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I want to be nice and toned, strong and fit in to jeans with no "muffin tops" haha. Jillian Micheals is my aim :P

The word "athletic" comes to mind, wouldn't you agree. The way I see it, in order to look like an athlete, you have to train like an athlete and eat like an athlete. I haven't looked at your food diary but if you're eating 1000 calories a day (maybe you're eating 3000, I haven't looked), then you have to ask yourself if that's how much an athlete eats in a day. I only mention this because the temptation to continually cut calories is strong. I've been there myself.
  • brit_ks_89
    brit_ks_89 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i am 5'2 my weight goal is 135 .. they say a healthy weight for people at are 5'2 is 120-135ish..
    I suggest lifting MORE - what do you mean from skinny fat to skinny ? SKINNY IS NO MUSCLES ?
    Jillian Micheals is not skinny - GIRL IS BUILT AND TONE AND THICK, not skinny!
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    if you are skinnyfat at 123lbs, I agree with the others 115lbs is probably to low since that would mean being more skinny fat. Trying to look like Jillian Michaels mean packing on some muscles and muscles weigh much more than fat so you will likely gain depends on how skinny fat you are. the best way to find out is to get tested to see your body fat %

Try and compare to this picture

http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

scroll down and you will find a bigger picture for the women :)
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat as you are....skinny fat Really sucks.....big time.... :(
  • bexbex78
    Options
    I am getting very toned doing Bikram yoga...might be worth a try!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    First, I would stop worrying about the actual number on the scale. It means essentially nothing. It does not define you. That should not be the goal, because that is what results in skinny fat in the first place, I have found. Especially if you REALLY want to get serious about altering your body composition, because that will likely mean the number on the scale will go UP, while your body measurements go down. Find a good lifting program, or get a trainer, even if it's just for a few sessions, to help you figure out what routine would be best for you. And keep at it. Eat WELL and healthily, meaning, eat fat, eat protein, skip the diet versions. Feed your body. And good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    5'2" and you want to be 115? :noway:

I'd suggest carrying on with the weight training and you might not want to go to 115 with the results you get.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to tone up I would say your best bet is to completely disregard your weight right now. By toning up you will be building muscle so most likely you will gain weight rather than lose it. BUT you will tone up and probably be a smaller dress size.
    So my advice is to measure yourself and give yourself inches goals or buy a pair of jeans in the size you want to be and work towards that.
    My next piece of advice is to get some weights and start looking into workouts that are for toning/shaping.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Just being 5'2" doesn't mean you should get to 115. Yes, I agree it is possible, but it really depends on your body composition. I am also 5'2" and will never see 115. For me it just isn't possible without dropping lean body mass or going into the low teens as far as BF% goes. I'm sitting at 126-ish right now and between 20-22% BF based on appearance and body fat scale reading.

If you want the fit look that Jillian has, lift weights a lot. Pick up New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women (NROWLFW - or something like that), Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength, or some other plan. Put the scale away as well. The scale hides the truth when you are looking at body composition. Muscle is more dense than fat. That means one lb of fat will take up much more space than a lb of muscle so as you build muscle mass you will get smaller, but the scale won't go down, more likely, it will actually go up. The last bit is the scariest one, EAT MORE. To build LBM you need to fuel the process. Muscles grow when fed and if you are not eating at or above TDEE you will only see minor gains at first as the muscles get used to lifting.

Good luck and have fun with the lifting. I love it.
  • fitnessfansteph
    fitnessfansteph Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Stop worrying about the number on the scale. Check your measurements and body fat loss instead. I am 5'2 as well and I want to loose a little bit but mostly tone up and loose bf%. Try to eat healthy frequent snacks. That will hwlp boost your metabolism. I know with being shorter metabolism stinks! Good luck :)
  • verzanie
    verzanie Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    hi there, I'm in your same boat. I've been around 116 for a long time then went up to 123 and want to go down again. i started 30 day shred then insanity and I'm finally starting to see the results. only lost albs but lost inches and I don't think your goal is too low. Im same height as you and aiming for around 115 although if I get smaller and weigh more I'm not worried as much anymore. Also I think it's important you eat. I was on a too low diet and started losing by upping my calories. I struggled but I try and have at least 1350 calories a day..feel free to add me x
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Don't let them convince you that's too low. No one really knows but you and your doctor. Do listen to the advice not to concentrate so hard on the weight. Concentrate on the workout. If you are eating a bunch of junk, stop and eat cleaner. You don't have to eat completely clean, but it's harder to build muscle if you aren't eating enough protein, and most junk isn't loaded with protein (unless it's all protein bars or shakes, which are not the best source either).

I'm 5'3" and 110 and I have 20% body fat at 48, and my doctor was very impressed at my checkup last month. You can do it, but it won't be easy. And if you watch the scale too closely, you will probably give up. You may gain at first, but in the end, you can get the body you want if you are willing to do the work.

Friend me if you want more specific diet or exercise advice. And yes, before everyone screams, "it's not a DIET," I mean what you are eating, not cutting back on calories.