Logging French Toast & Ollive Oil

Options
Wanting to make a healthy version of french toast (40 calorie bread & egg whites) but how do I charge myself the egg whites? If I dump 3 in a bowl and then still have some left after dipping the bread, do I charge all 3 or would it be safe to weigh before & after then calculate?

My other issue is olive oil, If I'm sauteing or pan frying something and add 1 TBL olive oil and there is still some left, how do I know how much to "charge" myself?

I like to be as close as possible on my calories.

Replies

• TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    Make your best judgement of what you may have left. if it's only a lil bit left I would count it. if it looks like a whole egg white left then take away one. the oil I am not sure cause I don't use oils I use no calorie cooking spray on everything I cook now but if you are using oil I think it will depend on how much was left. maybe use a measuring spoon to measure what was left and deduct that
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    When cooking with oil, if there's enough left behind to measure, then measure that and subtract it from the amount you log. If there isn't enough to measure, I'd just log the whole lot.

With the eggs - similarly it kind of depends on how much is left over whether it's worth subtracting it or not. If you're that bothered, it would probably be best to measure the egg whites in a measuring jug, and measure what remains. It's probably only a handful of calories you're talking about though.

ETA: I'm not sure why you need to be so accurate when you're nowhere near meeting your calorie goal each day anyway. :ohwell:
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I make French toast I just count the egg even when there is extra, I'd rather overestimate then under.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i'd use whole eggs - its 'good' fat. mabey even just one whole one and one or two whites - gotta taste better.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could make up as many pieces of the bread the egg can wet, and enter it as a recipe with the number of servings you have. Refrigerate the leftovers & reheat them in the toaster later in the week for quick breakfasts.

I would not try measuring the remaining liquid after using olive oil. How would you know it was just oil & not liquid from what you cooked? In that case, I'd count the full amount. But I would rather risk overestimating my intake rather than underestimating. It encourages me to experiment decreasing the amount of oil until it's just enough to still make the recipe.
  • hmp1130
    hmp1130 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of left overs hedwardsb...

Yesterday was just a bad calorie day, normally I'm within 100-200 calories.

I think I will just count all the oil, the only reason I would use it is for the extra calories since some days I have trouble hitting all 1800 without feeling sick.

Thank you all for your help.
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of left overs hedwardsb...

Yesterday was just a bad calorie day, normally I'm within 100-200 calories.

I think I will just count all the oil, the only reason I would use it is for the extra calories since some days I have trouble hitting all 1800 without feeling sick.

Thank you all for your help.

I'm all about a delicious quick breakfast, and left over French toast would definitely fit the bill. :)