How much water do you drink each day?

Options
I typically drink about 65-75 ounces a day which I thought was pretty good. I am 5'8" and I weigh 179. I never drink juice, sports or enery drinks. Other a 12oz can of diet coke and my hot tea, water is the only liquid I get. Despite this, my coworker who is personal trainer told me that isn't enough. I was thinking about hiring him because I want to lose about 15-20 lbs by July. He told me I will never get the results I want if I don't up water intake to a MINIMUM of a gallon a day!

How many of you drink this much water? I work in education and I can't imagine drinking this much without getting fired for going to the bathroom every 5 minutes. Is he right?

Replies

• AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    For a lot of people, a gallon seems like a lot of water. I personally, probably drink close to 2 gallons of liquids a day because it's one of my bored habits. Not all of it is water though, as I get free soda from the fountain at work, but at least a gallon is water because I don't keep soda at my house.

Also, I don't think drinking a gallon of water will affect your weight loss as dramatically as he is saying.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    A gallon a day. If I don't make it to a gallon I don't drink less than 72oz. And water is ALL I drink. No juice soda tea nothing but water.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Wow! 2 gallons of liquids! I am trying a gallon today since I am off work. I can't even imagine this working. The funny thing is that I thought I was doing. I was preaching to my sister about not getting enough water the other day. She is lucky to get 1 or 2 glasses of water a day.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    4 - 32 oz. bottles of water a day.... so avg. 128 oz. a day... Best of Luck
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I used to be so bad and just drink tea but I have a 2ltre jug that I fill everyday with watered down squash and try to get though. I get through about 2/3rds of it a day right now though
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Wow! 2 gallons of liquids! I am trying a gallon today since I am off work. I can't even imagine this working. The funny thing is that I thought I was doing. I was preaching to my sister about not getting enough water the other day. She is lucky to get 1 or 2 glasses of water a day.

It's always just been a bored habit. Waiting on a phone call? Go get a glass of water. Commercials? Get up and get a drink. It's just always something I've done to pass the time.

One thing you could do is get one of those giant mugs from the store, fill it with ice and water and just have it there. I bet just having something there within reach all the time will increase your consumption.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Depends on if I am thursty or not. Some days I drink 96oz, others I drink maybe 40oz. I judge it on my pee. A lot of people are still stuck on the 64 ounce myth, even those who came up with it say it was misinterpreted. It all depends on how much your body needs. Every person is different when it comes to water intake. Some need less, some need more. As long as your pee is clear or light yellow then you are well hydrated.

I turn to water, not because of the 8 by 8 myth, but because it is calorie free and it is better to sip water when bored than be munching on cheetos.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I heard you are suppose to take your weight in pounds and and change the lbs sign to oz's and divide the # in half...so if you are 150 pounds you need 75 oz a day. This seems pretty fair since the standard we have heard for many years was everyone drink 8 cups of water (64 oz) a day..and if you are overweight then "drink a little more". I am in the 130's and I follow this rule and it works for me..and worked for me when I was bigger in the 180's
  • maxowensmom
    Options
    3 - 4 liters is my goal per day.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I was told ur supposed to drink half ur weight in oz of water a day. So if u weighed 200lbs u would drink 100oz a day. Not sure how true that is but it isn't a bad idea since water is good for u anyway.
  • latprin
    Options
    Drinking half your weight in ounces will suffice. Unfortunately, I cannot meet the requirement due to work. I usually drink a half gallon per day of pure water in addition, tea and sparkling water.
  • Hayliela
    Options
    I drink hardly any water. I only drink it if I'm thirsty, whether that is right or wrong, I just don't seem to need much fluids. I drink more water when I exercise.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    At least 8 liters (32 cups) but recently closer to 10 liters (40 cups).
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Water I am a 64-72oz a day gal. That does NOT include my cup of coffee in the am. Occasionally I may have a couple chugs of diet soda, but water is great. Be careful to not drink TOO much water though, you can actually throw off your electrolyte balance adn do serious harm to the rythms of your body which NEED electrolytes to function. If you drink 64 oz and are still having dehydration issues then drink more!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I don't know as I don't track water. I definitely drink more on training days. I wouldn't worry so much about it though, and instead focus on calories and macro- and micronutrients.