Different "kinds" of exercise shoes?

Options
I am in need of a new pair of running shoes. I will be running a 5k on pavement next month. The shoes I have now are old and worn down and cause me to get really bad shin splints when I take them out on the pavement (although on a treadmill they give me no problems at all). I was wondering which brand/make you guys recommend?

The reason why I titled this as different "kinds" of exercise shoes is that I read somewhere that some shoes are better for certain activities than others. I do a lot of indoor-gym types of things as well, but I am definitely needing shoes that are "pavement-running"-geared.

Replies

• alisonsurf
    alisonsurf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you have one near you, I would go to a running store and have them look at your gait. It is worth a few extra $$ to have someone look at the shape of your foot and the way you walk//run to get the right shape/style of shoe. Then you will always know in the future what to look for. See if one of the sponsors for your 5K is a local store and they may even give you a discount. Plus it never hurts to shop local - the money stays in your local economy!
  • khampton357
    Options
    I agree to go to a shoe store where they can fit shoes for your individual feet. I know my recent purchase of the Asics Gel Noosa Tri 8 have been treated me very well :--)
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I started running (well, I do intervals of Run/Walk/Jog/Walk) in October and met a goal of 13.5 miles in late January. I used to suffer from terrible shin splints. I retrained my feet by walking/jogging in Vibrams (http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm) and got fitted for a good pair of running shoes for longer distances with the ShoeDog system at RoadRunners (www.roadrunnersports.com).

Be warry of anyone who tells you what the best shoe for you is going to be without actually looking an your feet, your gait and your running style. And be warry of anyone who tells you to just try out the barefoot running technique - it's great and does a LOT to train the muscles in your feet/ankles, legs but it's training and takes time.

Good luck! I hope my little advice is useful
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Do everything barefoot ;) keeps things real
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I run in Asics and Mizuno, because, for gate, structure and goals, they are great shoes for me.

Go to a reputable running store and get your gate analyzed and factor for your build, goals. By reputable, i do NOT mean Foot Locker, Cchamps or the like.

Good luck!
  • paulapafw
    Options
    I also highly recommend going to a running store and get evaluated for running shoes. I have also added compression sleeves/socks to my "routine" and now I no longer suffer from shin splints. When in training for my 1st 5K (I just completed mine on 2/16) I kept having an on again/off again issue with both shin splints and slight knee pain. Between the compression socks and new inserts I was good. I did replace my shoes just this weekend but they were due.

But nothing added to your gear will help if your shoes are wrong for you. Best advice I ever got was get to a real running store and get your gait evaluated.