ChickPeas or Lentils

MirandaJayne
MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
is going to make something for dinner tonight that centres around either ChickPeas or Lentils. Suggestions?

Replies

• XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    couscous & lentil stuffed peppers? or use both!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    If you haven't soaked the ChickPeas yet, go for lentils, hehe. You really need to soak them for a good 12 hours.

I love mixing my lentils with brown rice. I'll dump a serving of each into a pot and stir-fry them together with a bit of vegetable broth. Then I'll top it off with some veggies and/or fish.
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    I just looked some up online yesterday on Food Network's website!

Lentil and wild rice salad is yummy. I'm not sure if you have a Trader Joes near by but they sell lentils already cooked.
  • JohannaH91
    JohannaH91 Posts: 4
    I found this recipe on the BBC good food website and made it last week. Instead of the coleslaw Iserved the kebabs with a wholemeal pitta, low-fat homemade tzatziki and some Greek salad, although I don't have the nutritional information for it that way.

Lamb Kebabs with Fennel and Cucumber Slaw:

Ingredients400g can green lentils , rinsed and drained
    250g pack lean minced lamb
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 cucumber , chopped
    1 fennel bulb , shredded
    200g pot reduced-fat Greek yogurt
    small garlic clove , crushed (optional)
    1 mild red chilli , deseeded and chopped

Serves 4

Prep 10 mins
    Cook 10 mins

1.Heat grill to high. Put the lentils into the bowl of a food processor, then whizz to a rough paste. Tip into a bowl, add the mince, coriander and plenty of seasoning, then mix well. Roll into 16 balls, thread onto 4 skewers, then grill for 10 mins, turning halfway through, until golden and juicy in the middle.
    2.Meanwhile, mix the cucumber and fennel with the yogurt, garlic if using, chilli and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with the kebabs.

Per serving202 kcalories, protein 21g, carbohydrate 12g, fat 8 g, saturated fat 4g, fibre 3g, sugar 4g, salt 1.02 g

I found that the lentil and lamb balls crumbled a bit when I tried to move them so I would recommend to forget about the skewers and just set them on a baking tray under the grill.

Hope this is useful :)
This discussion has been closed.