PCOS and weight loss

Options
I'm 5'6 large-frame, 232 lbs, 26 years old. My goal weight is 180 lbs.
I've been working out hard for 2 months and only lost 2 lbs. I workout 5-6 days a week (I do bootcamp-like training 3 times a week and 2 days cardio). I eat 1800 calories/day strictly fruits, veggies, greek non-fat yogurt, water, protein like chicken, turkey & pork. I've felt a difference in my cloths & my endurance level has gone up, & i feel good. However, my pounds are simply not going down!
Does any women in MFP has PCOS? Has this made weight loss even harder? Have you lost any weight? I've been recently diagnosed for about 2 weeks now but I've been having symptoms for 3 years and its been so hard to loss weight. I need some advice on what to do/eat to burn fat quickly like a healthy person. HELP!!!!

Replies

• egoheen
    egoheen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was told that it would very difficult to lose weight. When I lost 20 lbs after being a camp counselor, I told my new doctor and she said I doubt that. I was like I wonder what that means, but as I continued to see her, I realized this was her rude bedside manner coming out.

It is harder. I finally found an endocrinologist who has been working with me and we started on Victroza and I also see a nutritionist. Between these three supports, I've lost almost 20 lbs.

The biggest thing that has changed my life is not the exercise (because I barely do that) is avoiding fast food and processed foods.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with PCOS for about 2 years. It has been very difficult to lose the weight, but I was on Metformin when I was first diagnosed and lost some weight, but went off it when I got pregnant and just yesterday I went back on it. So I'm hoping it helps me lose weight this time around because my glucose levels are all out of whack and that's why I couldn't get pregnant before and the Metformin helped me get pregnant! I watch my sugar levels, and I know I should exercise more, but dang it's so hard. Especially with me because I have a disability with my legs and it affects my balance. So, I can definitely relate to not losing the weight like we want to. But yes, the PCOS does make it super hard to lose, but it's possible. Just by cutting out fast food, sweets, and nothing to drink but water, I've lost 15lbs in a little over one month. So, you gotta watch what you eat as well. :)
  • littleblonde200
    Options
    I have pcos as well. Although pregnancy seems to helped mine. My periods are every 28 days now (where every other month at best before) and i don't really suffer from extra hair now. I have never needed tablets or anything and my blood results where all normal. i just have the cysts. So maybe mine is different. But the 12lbs i have lost have been in the last 3 weeks. i lost 2 stone last year. I did it slowly but that was my fault.
  • smm773
    smm773 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with PCOS for a number of years, and I have found that losing weight has been extremely difficult. I didn't realize it, but the last year said I actually didn't have it anymore, as I had lost some weight and apparently you can grow out of some of the symptoms. My periods came back and I didn't have the insulin resistance. I DID have to stay lower carb, but while I did atkins and lost a ton of weight, it was not sustainable. I had tried metformin a while back and it made me SOOOOOO sick that I came off it and never went back.

I think it's good that you are noticing other ways in which you are making progress. That's important. But I DO know the frustration of not being able to see the number on the scale.

Hang in there and keep logging and making good food choices.
  • MommaRoseFitness
    MommaRoseFitness Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from horrible PCOS, but I decided not to let it dictate my life. I would take measurements. You are doing a lot of muscle building activity. I try to stay under my carbs if they are not from fresh fruit or vegetables. Also, I follow a 1200 calorie diet and take fiber supplements. I also substantially increased my water intake. I do have a doctor and nutritionist support. Now the pounds are coming off faster. But the inches are even faster than the pounds. If you have any questions or need help just let me know.
  • michelehindman
    michelehindman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago. My weight has fluctuated a lot during that time depending on my diet and activity level, but I've had the most luck losing weight and reducing my symptoms over the years by eating a low GI diet and incorporating intense cardio.

Reducing the amount of high GI foods I eat took me from 2 to 3 periods a year to a semi-regular 40-50 day cycle, and adding in 30-45 minutes of cardio 3 times a week finally got me to a "normal" 30 day cycle. I stopped exercising regularly a few years ago, so I gained weight and I'm now back to the 40-50 day cycle, but I know what works for me. (Thankfully I'm back on the exercise wagon now!)

Stick with it! It's tough and really discouraging to not see the number on the scale move, but if you're noticing a difference in your clothes, you might try taking your measurements regularly to see if those are changing. And if your PCOS symptoms are getting better, that's obviously a huge improvement.

If you continue on and still don't see a change in your weight though, I'd recommend getting a full check-up to see if there's something else hindering your weight loss.
  • Jeandebb
    Jeandebb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone!!!! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this battle...my symptoms has definitely minimized..the only think that's weird to me is that although I have PCOS, I'm not diabetic/insulin resistance.
  • brittskinny2014
    Options
    I would say try eating less calories 1600 and then go down to 1300
  • katybateman
    Options
    hi i have pcos aswell
    i have found taht the essiest way for me to lose weight is herbal life and only eating fruit and veg however i do sometimes eat bread and pasta which i know is noughty,

i started my diet on the 1st of december and i have lost just over 4 stone so far so seems to work

it was very hard to loe the first stone but after that it has not been to hard i try my best and try to think taht even if its only 1lb a week taht it is still an improvement i went from a uk size 6 to a uk size 16 in two years i am now a uk size 10 to 12 and looking forward to being a 6 again nothing is going to stop me.

i did think taht losing weight might make my overies better but it has not so this was a bit disapointing for me but i guess you cant have eveything in life.

hope it works out ok for you and alls you can do is try your best

please feel free to add me
    xxx
  • Joana0531
    Joana0531 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this topic! I to have a hormonal imbalance and it was extremely hard for me to loose weight. I have always been "chubby" but active when I was younger, so my weight never fluctuated. At the time, having hormonal problems never concerned me, but after graduating from high school, my activity level went from active to hardly any activity at all. This is when I put on most of my weight.

In 2008, after consulting with my Dr. he advise me to go on medication, which I declined. Instead, I became a vegetarian and completely eliminated meat products, processed products and started a workout routine which at the time consisted of walking and the elliptical machine two hours a day. In less then three months, I lost 60lbs,(see my FB pics under my weight loss journey).This by far was the best way that I tackled PCOS. My cycles also became regular and I felt so much better.

After the birth of my son, I noticed that my weight was not coming off and instead I was putting on weight.I blame this primarily of reverting back to old habits. I truly believe that a lot of the issues women are facing with PCOS have a strong link to the things we eat and how they are being processed. I know its hard to workout and not see much pounds coming off at the scale, but keep in mind that you are also building muscle which is a lot heavier than fat. loosing inches and building stamina and remaining active is so much better than the number on the scale. In do time Deborah, you will see and feel a difference.

Stay encourage and mentally fit for the fitness road ahead! :)
  • Jeandebb
    Jeandebb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Wow Joana I never knew we had the same issue. I had blood work done today to check my hormones bc I've cut back tremendously and still having problems..hopefully doctor can find a solution for me.
  • HappinessFreedomForever
    Options
    I am 24 right now, soon to be 25, and I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 14-15. I have been on meds, on and off (even though I was supposed to take them regularly), all these years. I took them religiously for four years, but then I got tired of them. I have lost significant weight twice but gained it all back: the first time I lost weight, I was 13-14, and I ended up losing with 60 lbs with a crash diet and intense workout. Second time, I was on bed rest when I lost weight, so it was some light stretching exercises and physical therapy while on bed and eating healthy. Needless to say, I have gained all the weight back and haven't lost significantly since I was 19. I am on metformin extended release, spironolactone, and birth control for PCOS. I used to be on finasteride and Vaniqa for a few years as well but no more. I haven't really lost weight specifically being on metformin per se, but I guess it helps with distributing energy consumed from calories throughout the day. It also upsets my stomach, but metformin is necessary to regulate the glucose levels in the body, especially if our hormones are all screwed up. My endo recommended Qsymia to jumpstart my weight loss journey, but I refused to go on it, considering all the side effects. However, I am at all-time high right and considering it again. My plan is to see if I can lose weight with healthy eating and light workout during the first month; if I lose at least 8 lbs, I won't go on Qsymia. And yes, weight loss is harder with PCOS. I am now on day 2 of eating healthy and day 1 of light workout. I am motivated and determined to do it the right away, as I really want to avoid being put on Qsymia, but I'll consider it if my body fat percentage doesn't go down.