BMR?

Options
Hiya

How essential is it that you do not eat under your BMR?

On a good day calorie intake will be 2200ish and on a normal day its round about 1400 - 1800 calories.

WEIGHT - 22 Stone 12lbs (Proper fat lad)
BMR is - 2698
TDEE is - 3238 with the 20% off it is 2591

i am struggling to eat 1800 cals a day never mind 2500

Thanks for any help

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Well, consider that BMR is basically coma calories - what a doctor would feed ya if you were comatose in bed all day long. And since you're obviously not in a coma, your bod deserves a bit more fuel to run on! :tongue:

I eat 1800 cals a day no problem, I'm usually over in fact. Try adding some more calorie dense foods to your day - small portions pack a good dose of calories in foods like nuts & nut butters, avocados, olive & coconut oils for dressings & cooking, etc. Looks like you're already doing well with eggs, full fat dairy, etc. A small handful of walnuts is 100 cals, a spoonful of peanut butter about the same.
  • idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me, my net is about 150 calories below BMR. If I was in a coma, my body would make up any deficiency in calories by accessing fat stores. So, personally, I think it's okay to dip slightly below BMR. I totally agree that any drastic cuts are hard to sustain and unnecessary.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this myself. It's hard because lots of people will tell you it's very unhealthy but then many professionals do start you below this number. So many contradictions out there. And lots of people are eating below this number....lots. I think start with what you feel is best but don't be afraid to add more calories if you feel the need. Or, seek a professional.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you're eating under your BMR, but if your TDEE is 3238 and you're only eating 1800, that's too big of a deficit.