Macronutrients percentages

Options
MIM49
MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
What percentages have you set on goals for your protein, carbs, and fat and why?

Replies

• idaholawchick
    idaholawchick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do percentages of 45 carb, 25 protein, & 30 fat. Based on my own research, I feel that's a good balance and I feel satisfied and healthy at those levels.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I just use it as a guide to make sure I'm eating balanced. I use the default. I try not to put too much thought into macros. I try to make weight loss from healthy eating and I want it to be simple. Why over complicated it?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Mine are set to 40c/30p/30f. Essentially, this is known as the "zone" or the "zone diet." I have found it to be beneficial in RE to getting my blood work under control...blood sugar, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. Pretty much everything is normalizing now where as before, it was REALLY bad.

This zone also give me plenty of protein to accommodate my workouts and strength training goals.

This from Wikipedia:
    The diet centers on a "40:30:30" ratio of calories obtained daily from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, respectively.[citation needed]
    "The Zone" is Sears' term for proper hormone balance. When insulin levels are neither too high nor too low and glucagon levels are not too high, then specific anti-inflammatory chemicals (types of eicosanoids) are released, which have similar effects to aspirin, but without downsides such as gastric bleeding. Sears claims that a 30:40 ratio of protein to carbohydrates triggers this effect, and this is called 'The Zone.' Sears claims that these natural anti-inflammatories are heart- and health-friendly.
    Additionally, the human body in calorie balance does not have to store excess calories as fat.[citation needed] The human body cannot store fat and burn fat at the same time[citation needed] and Sears believes it takes time (significant time if insulin levels were high because of unbalanced eating) to switch from the former to the latter.[citation needed]
    Another key feature of the Zone diet, introduced in his later books, is an intake of a particular ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6 fatty acids. Sears is believed to have helped popularize the taking of pharmaceutical-grade Omega 3 fish oils.[2]
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have 30% protein, 20% fat, 50% carbs. I researched and for my goals and situation, I chose these ratios. I usually exceed the protein. I also try to limit my sodium to 1500 and get at least 30g of fiber. It's working really well for me... I feel great, I'm steadily losing weight and my blood pressure is significantly lower than when I started this journey.

Continued success!
    Kat
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I set mine to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, according to the info in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great info there, and following the plan there for setting cals and macros, I am having great success with fat loss.
  • tburton925
    tburton925 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I do a percentage of 25% carbs, 45% protein and 30% fat . Mainly because protein keeps you full longer and helps build and repair muscle and and the more carbs you have the more your body store and turns to fat
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I just use it as a guide to make sure I'm eating balanced. I use the default. I try not to put too much thought into macros. I try to make weight loss from healthy eating and I want it to be simple. Why over complicated it?

MFP's macro settings are in no way "balanced" They are very carb heavy and low protein. I believe the default is 55c/15p/30f. Also, there's more to this than just losing weight. When I eat MFP's default macros, my triglycerides and blood sugar are high with all of the carbs...that's not healthy. Not only am I trying to lose weight, but I'm trying to get my blood healthy again. Also, macro adjustments are necessary for certain fitness goals.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't care about percentages.
    I stick with as much vegetables as I can.
    I do not eat meat, so am usually over on carbs and under on fats and protein.
    But since I eat a lot of healthy greens, I know I am eating a diet high in nutrients.
    I avoid salt except what occurs naturally in vegetables.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I don't care about percentages.
    I stick with as much vegetables as I can.
    I do not eat meat, so am usually over on carbs and under on fats and protein.
    But since I eat a lot of healthy greens, I know I am eating a diet high in nutrients.
    I avoid salt except what occurs naturally in vegetables.

Get your protein though...protein is an essential nutrient. You don't have to get it from meat, but you need to get it from somewhere. It's far more necessary to good health than carbs.
  • joleenl
    Options

MFP's macro settings are in no way "balanced" They are very carb heavy and low protein. I believe the default is 55c/15p/30f. Also, there's more to this than just losing weight. When I eat MFP's default macros, my triglycerides and blood sugar are high with all of the carbs...that's not healthy. Not only am I trying to lose weight, but I'm trying to get my blood healthy again. Also, macro adjustments are necessary for certain fitness goals.

I guess mine are changed to a 35/35/40
  • joleenl
    Options

I guess mine are changed to a 35/35/40

Oops 30/30/40 I'm still half asleep I guess