tips for losing weight around my mid section?

Options
i find most of the weight i've gained while i was pregnant was my hips and belly. just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to lose weight in those areas.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There's no secret way to lose weight in one area over another (assuming you're talking about fat that is). It's all about the deficit, create a deficit big enough to burn fat, but not so big that your body panics, and you will lose fat, exercise helps by making sure you don't drop muscle weight, and eating the RIGHT foods is important to feed your body while you lose, but you can't target fat loss. Your body will drop the fat in what ever way it feels it wants to (that's an over simplification of the process, but essentially it's true from our perspective).

Keep at it danielle! You'll get there!
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    I have a friend who is a personal trainer and he recommends walking, running and cycling for toning up the mid-section.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the above post regarding the inability to spot-reduce.

The only other piece of advice I can offer is from good ol' Dr. Oz (and even heard similar facts from Jillian Michaels on a TBL episode): fat and sugar tends to deposit around the midsection. (Visceral fat??) It's also the most dangerous kind because it surrounds your internal organs.

We all want results yesterday but if you stick with the workouts, eat right and keep a positive attitude, then hopefully your body will follow suit and you'll see the reduction you're wanting.

Good luck :)
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    i would suggest cardio . . .or/and circuit training. My sister in law just bad a baby in November and she already look absolutely fabulous! I know she switched things up a lot from elliptical to 30 day shred to wii fit to yoga to different biggest loser work out dvd's. she did mention another work out dvd from jillian michaels, boosting your metabolism . . . i think thats what its called.
    just remember its a combination of cardio and strength training and you should be fine. use the food journal too, that helps a lot. Good luck!!:bigsmile:

I think there is a thread for post pregancy mom's too . . . if you want to check it out.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem and I find that the elliptical is making my hips so much narrower (thank g-d!!!!!) and is definitely helping with my midsection as well.

Good luck!
  • danielle909xx
    danielle909xx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice. i've just started doing the 30 day shred again so hopefully i stick to it this time and it'll help me a bit
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    thanks everyone for your advice. i've just started doing the 30 day shred again so hopefully i stick to it this time and it'll help me a bit

There's a 30 day shred team that starts Sunday if you are interested?? Great motivation for everyone!:bigsmile:
  • danielle909xx
    danielle909xx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks! i think i might actually participate in that
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The one and ONLY thing that has helped me tremendously and I do mean TREMENDOUSLY is pilates. It has helped shape and sculpt my body including my mid section. I have seen muscles in my abs that I didn't know even existed, and this is post pregnancy! I also do cardio, eat a very clean diet...etc. So the combination for sure works... but I swear by pilates!