What's so bad about processed "healthy" foods?

Options
It's obvious that things like coke, chocolate bars, chips, etc are unhealthy because they're void of nutrients and high in calories, leaving your body malnourished & overfed. But what about things like Subway sandwiches, Lean Cuisine meals, high fiber cereals, precooked chicken breasts, protein bars, etc? Yes, the ingredient lists are long, but as far as everything else I'd look for when reading nutrition facts, some of these things seem pretty healthy. Fiber? Check. Protein? Check. Lack of trans fats, check. Vitamins, check. And if you make the right choices with a lot of these processed foods, you can find lots of options with a relatively low amount of sodium. Also, people trash restaurants all the time for using processed ingredients. But if you went to the average grocery store & bought supplies to make the same recipes on your own, couldn't the ingredient lists could be just as long, since most foods at grocery stores are just as processed as the ingredients that go into restaurant foods?

A long ingredient list means chemicals have been added, but are all of these chemicals necessarily bad for one's health (besides MSG and high fructose corn syrup - which are omitted from a lot of "healthy" processed foods nowadays)? & as for preservatives, aren't they necessary for most foods to even be capable of being sold in grocery stores? I'm not defending processed foods, I'm simply presenting my current understanding. People say a packaged meal will never be as good for you as the "real thing", but why exactly? I know things have been added to these foods for preservation & whatnot. But what has been taken away from them that makes them so bad nutritionally?

Replies

• ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Lean cuisine is generally garbage because its full of sodium. Completely void of taste. And have you looked at the size of them? Youd have to eat like 2-3 to be even remotely satisfied.
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    From strictly a food based perspective if you really look at the ingredient list and research what everything is you will find that the food in the lean cuisine really isn't "real" food like we would have consumed 50-100 years ago. There are additives upon additives, corn is in EVERYTHING, the food companies actually create foods so we crave them. I would really recommend healthy for a change or food inc that goes into it a lot further and more in depth. Plus if you have the time or make the time you could make a homemade version that would be more filling, satisfying, and less filler/additives in it so you wont have the chemical reaction in your brain that makes you crave more of the bad foods.

That said its all about making steps in the right direction. Obviously choosing a lean cuisine is going to be better than ordering a big mac at McDonalds and better than several choices at the grocery store -- and your right even ketchup is highly processed and has more ingredients in it than ketchup ever should but any step that a person can get to consuming less highly processed foods the better.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, Whole Foods, fresh fruits and vegetables are better for the nutritional value. The nutritional value will be less once cooked.

For example, a sweet potato baked in a 350 degree oven will lose some nutrients vs. a raw potato or dehydrated sweet potato (chips) at 160 degrees.

It's just nutritional value that will be lost and some people are against the extra unneccessary chemicals. The chemicals won't be needed if it is fresh and made at home.

Also, SALT! Salt is usually added a lot more than if you made it yourself! Salt may retain water.
  • ixplodestuf
    Options
    Read this article when you have the chance. It's long, but I think it'll help answer a lot of your questions and change the way you understand food.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well, most everything is processed unless you make it from scratch. BUT, the lean cuisine works for some people. I wouldn't eat them every day or even a few times a week even. I eat one maybe once every other week when I really don't feel like cooking. Most of the time it's fish, veggie stuff, and egg whites. lol. I also add some kind of veggie with the lean cuisine dinners. I'll add a cup of steamed veggies and sometimes just raw or some spinach and cheese thingy things. lol. They're really good and help to fill up your calories and stuff. Bottom line, pre-packaged is NOT the best way to go but some home cooked stuff can be just as bad if you don't use your brain to map out what's good and bad.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Dairy products are heavily processed...

Whey especially, but it's still one of the best proteins there is.
  • scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For one thing, they usually lack fiber, so they are so easily digested and quickly added to your available sources of energy, they cause a large release of insulin into your bloodstream which quickly stores the energy as fat.

Fruit: good
    Fruit juice: bad (it has all the sugar but all the fiber is stripped out)
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    From my understanding, Whole Foods, fresh fruits and vegetables are better for the nutritional value. The nutritional value will be less once cooked.

For example, a sweet potato baked in a 350 degree oven will lose some nutrients vs. a raw potato or dehydrated sweet potato (chips) at 160 degrees.

It's just nutritional value that will be lost and some people are against the extra unneccessary chemicals. The chemicals won't be needed if it is fresh and made at home.

Also, SALT! Salt is usually added a lot more than if you made it yourself! Salt may retain water.

Actually, this is not necessarily true. Processing sometimes increases the nutritional value. Canned tomatoes are an example.

Also, unless you are growing your own vegetables or buying them at a local market, whole foods may not be your best bet. Commercial farmers often pick certain crops before they are ripe, decreasing their nutritional value.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Unless you're hunting and foraging for all of your food, and drinking nothing but well or spring water, you're consuming processed foods. I'm sick of the self righteous attitude surrounding food and that, if you don't eat a perfect diet, you'll be unhealthy.

I used to be INCREDIBLY self righteous about my diet; I ate "perfect" foods and always judged others for their choices. I avoided all foods I deemed "bad", processed and only ate whole, real foods. If my mom bought a box of Cocoa Puffs or potato chips I would scoff at her. I would judge anyone who ate something that wasn't what I considered to be "good".

Let me tell you: that was exhausting. I was constantly thinking about what I was eating, stressing out about eating things that I didn't buy or personally cook, scouring food labels to make sure the food was "pure" and ended up missing out on a lot of things because I was so preoccupied on making sure everything I ate was perfect.

Now? I still aim to eat well - I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid fast food and heavily processed food and do the best I can. I also eat ice cream, grab a granola/protein bar as a snack now and again, and don't stress out about everything that goes in my mouth. It's so much easier to just eat what you want, in moderation, without killing yourself trying to be perfect. There are no wholly "good" or "bad" foods, only people that abuse those foods.

Oh, and I don't care what cavemen did, or what our ancestors 1000 years ago did. We don't live in that time and, as I said, unless you're out hunting and gathering, you're not living as your ancestors did. All you did was read a book, watch a documentary or do some Google research and have come to the conclusion that you must eat the way your ancestors did or else your body will fall to pieces.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    I didn't mean to capitalyze "whole foods" like the grocery store. I'm talking about whole foods.

Also, I never said processed, I said cooked. Just so you know.

Actually, this is not necessarily true. Processing sometimes increases the nutritional value. Canned tomatoes are an example.

Also, unless you are growing your own vegetables or buying them at a local market, whole foods may not be your best bet. Commercial farmers often pick certain crops before they are ripe, decreasing their nutritional value.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options
    I didn't mean to capitalyze "whole foods" like the grocery store. I'm talking about whole foods.

Also, I never said processed, I said cooked. Just so you know.

Cooking food = processing it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    Options
    oh, ok. Thanks.

I always thought of processing as adding additives and perservatives to food to make it last longer. Like tomatoes in a can are not processed. The ingredients say "tomatoes" and nothing else added to it, unless you buy a can with other additives and perservatives. Thats the way I viewed processing.

Also, she asked about prepackaged processed meals, usually those are cooked. That is why I made the statement about cooked vs. not cooked.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are some things that make "processed" foods bad. They're often loaded with simple carbs and sodium, for example. This gives "processed food" a bad name and people tend to simplify to "processed food is bad."

This doesn't make any sense. Processing isn't necessarily bad. Just pay attention to what the actual nutritional composition is and you'll be fine. Set targets for calories, protein, sugar, and fiber and hit those. Forget about the rest.
  • honeyandmilk
    Options
    There are some things that make "processed" foods bad. They're often loaded with simple carbs and sodium, for example. This gives "processed food" a bad name and people tend to simplify to "processed food is bad."

This doesn't make any sense. Processing isn't necessarily bad. Just pay attention to what the actual nutritional composition is and you'll be fine. Set targets for calories, protein, sugar, and fiber and hit those. Forget about the rest.

Yep. :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think food goes by the good, better, best principle.
    Best is whole types foods, fresh fruit/veg and quality meats without additives.
    Better is stuff comprised of the above but prepared/processed.
    Good is replacing bad with slightly healthier choices.

Lean cuisine and Subway may be Good choices if they are replacing double bacon cheeseburgers and hot pockets, etc.

Many processed foods that are marketed as healthy aren't nearly as healthy as they try to make them seem.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Lol, that "health police" nag you about eating it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

HORSEMEAT! :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options