What's so bad about processed "healthy" foods?

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i eat all those things, and i like them. and to make them a little more filling (lean cuisines, smart ones, etc) i like to add some fresh spinach or steamed cabbage to the entree, makes it go alot farther!!!
  • dkutnyak
    Options
    I totally agree with you...very well said !!
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    For one thing, they usually lack fiber, so they are so easily digested and quickly added to your available sources of energy, they cause a large release of insulin into your bloodstream which quickly stores the energy as fat.

Fruit: good
    Fruit juice: bad (it has all the sugar but all the fiber is stripped out)
    Fruit juice vs. real fruit is an obvious one. Just by looking at the nutrition label you can see that fruit juice has zero fiber and more sugar than the actual fruit. I rarely drink fruit juice. But I was referring to things with good nutrition facts that are still processed, ie something like whole wheat bread with 5 grams of fiber per slice but 20 ingredients.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    There are some things that make "processed" foods bad. They're often loaded with simple carbs and sodium, for example. This gives "processed food" a bad name and people tend to simplify to "processed food is bad."

This doesn't make any sense. Processing isn't necessarily bad. Just pay attention to what the actual nutritional composition is and you'll be fine. Set targets for calories, protein, sugar, and fiber and hit those. Forget about the rest.
    That's exactly how I feel as well, but so many research articles, blogs, books, etc beg to disagree.
  • Zoesmum025
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

HORSEMEAT! :laugh:

?

What about horse meat?
    Hahaha!,Actually, horsemeat has fewer calories than lean beef. Seriously, I checked!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    Unless you're hunting and foraging for all of your food, and drinking nothing but well or spring water, you're consuming processed foods. I'm sick of the self righteous attitude surrounding food and that, if you don't eat a perfect diet, you'll be unhealthy.

I used to be INCREDIBLY self righteous about my diet; I ate "perfect" foods and always judged others for their choices. I avoided all foods I deemed "bad", processed and only ate whole, real foods. If my mom bought a box of Cocoa Puffs or potato chips I would scoff at her. I would judge anyone who ate something that wasn't what I considered to be "good".

Let me tell you: that was exhausting. I was constantly thinking about what I was eating, stressing out about eating things that I didn't buy or personally cook, scouring food labels to make sure the food was "pure" and ended up missing out on a lot of things because I was so preoccupied on making sure everything I ate was perfect.

Now? I still aim to eat well - I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, avoid fast food and heavily processed food and do the best I can. I also eat ice cream, grab a granola/protein bar as a snack now and again, and don't stress out about everything that goes in my mouth. It's so much easier to just eat what you want, in moderation, without killing yourself trying to be perfect. There are no wholly "good" or "bad" foods, only people that abuse those foods.

Oh, and I don't care what cavemen did, or what our ancestors 1000 years ago did. We don't live in that time and, as I said, unless you're out hunting and gathering, you're not living as your ancestors did. All you did was read a book, watch a documentary or do some Google research and have come to the conclusion that you must eat the way your ancestors did or else your body will fall to pieces.

adding this to important notes in my bible! :)
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

LMAO! Yep, it's made me never want to eat anything beef related and processed.

To those who don't know there has been a bit of a scandal finding horse meat in certain beef products.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are some things that make "processed" foods bad. They're often loaded with simple carbs and sodium, for example. This gives "processed food" a bad name and people tend to simplify to "processed food is bad."

This doesn't make any sense. Processing isn't necessarily bad. Just pay attention to what the actual nutritional composition is and you'll be fine. Set targets for calories, protein, sugar, and fiber and hit those. Forget about the rest.
    That's exactly how I feel as well, but so many research articles, blogs, books, etc beg to disagree.

Those blogs and books are worthless. Good tip is that 95% of all the stuff you read about fitness is total trash. The "research articles" are not research articles, they're just articles. Actual scientific research looks a lot different than those "articles" you read.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

To those who don't know there has been a bit of a scandal finding horse meat in certain beef products.

I'm aware of that, but there's nothing actually wrong with horse meat. Westerners have a bit of an "ick" factor about it, and clearly consumers weren't told it was horse meat, but horse meat is fine.
  • fiona2785
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

?

What about horse meat?

Google UK/Europe and horse meat. There has been horse meat found in many processed beef products across Europe recently.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

?

What about horse meat?
    Big scandal in Europe about meat/meat products (primarily boxed foods, i believe) being advertized as beef, but actually containing horse meat that was not intended for human consumption. BTW, judging from the Pferdewagon at the Kaiserslautern Wochenmarkt, horse meat is considered by some as good eats, as long as it has been raised in a manner similar to beef.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Lol, that "health police" nag you about eating it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

OMG this ^ ..lol.

I "like" to eat healthier foods (as in fresh veggies and fruits)...but I also see nothing with "processed"foods, "junk" foods, and the such (i.e. milk, mac 'n cheese, cereal, white rice, breads, pastas, etc). Eat what fits in your time, budget and do it in moderation and track how much you are eating. Having an all or nothing attitude just leads to frustration and failure - especially starting out.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I didn't mean to capitalyze "whole foods" like the grocery store. I'm talking about whole foods.

Also, I never said processed, I said cooked. Just so you know.
    From my understanding, Whole Foods, fresh fruits and vegetables are better for the nutritional value. The nutritional value will be less once cooked.

For example, a sweet potato baked in a 350 degree oven will lose some nutrients vs. a raw potato or dehydrated sweet potato (chips) at 160 degrees.

It's just nutritional value that will be lost and some people are against the extra unneccessary chemicals. The chemicals won't be needed if it is fresh and made at home.

Also, SALT! Salt is usually added a lot more than if you made it yourself! Salt may retain water.

Actually, this is not necessarily true. Processing sometimes increases the nutritional value. Canned tomatoes are an example.

Also, unless you are growing your own vegetables or buying them at a local market, whole foods may not be your best bet. Commercial farmers often pick certain crops before they are ripe, decreasing their nutritional value.

I wasn't talking about the store either. I was talking about whole fruits and veggies and how the nutritional value is often lower than we might think. Also, processing generally involves heating (not always, but often), and that was my point. Sometimes processing or cooking increases the nutitional value. Tomatoes are an example. Lycopene levels are greater in cooked or processed tomatoes.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

I really DON't fancy eating Mr.ed personally! even if he is better cals than beef! :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

?

What about horse meat?
    Big scandal in Europe about meat/meat products (primarily boxed foods, i believe) being advertized as beef, but actually containing horse meat that was not intended for human consumption. BTW, judging from the Pferdewagon at the Kaiserslautern Wochenmarkt, horse meat is considered by some as good eats, as long as it has been raised in a manner similar to beef.

Well, when it is being hidden in foods - yeah, that's a problem. But as the above said - if it is raised in the manner as beef, don't see what's the problem.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

I'm aware of that, but there's nothing actually wrong with horse meat. Westerners have a bit of an "ick" factor about it, and clearly consumers weren't told it was horse meat, but horse meat is fine.

But...horses :'(
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

?

What about horse meat?
    Hahaha!,Actually, horsemeat has fewer calories than lean beef. Seriously, I checked!

Mmm free range grass-fed horse. Delicious.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You mean other than preservatives, added sodium and/or sugars, and who knows what additional chemicals are put into them?
    It is just better for you to cook your own food from scratch. You at least have control over what is put into your food and ultimately your body.
    I don't pretend not to eat any processed foods, but I have certainly made every effort to restrict it as much as I can.
    I know that I have benefited from eating better, but everyone needs to do what works for themselves.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

Seriously--you're never going to know what you're getting in those frozen meals. That's part of the problem for me. The added sugars, flavourings, and colours are another problem.

The other issue I have is that they look absolutely disgusting, and I can't imagine they taste much better. I love to cook, so it's not a big deal for me to cook things on my own, from scratch. Been doing it forever and will continue to do so.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    LOL i have one word....

But...horses :'(

In India they hold cows sacred. An animal is an animal. I respect them all (as that is how I was raised)...but I have no problems catching and gutting a fish. I'd also have no probs shooting Bambi if it called for it.