Cals/day

Options
Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
I'm a little concerned about my cal/day "prescribed" by my doctor. I'm 5'8", 285lbs, exercising at least 30 mins. per day (intensity varies) and Dr. has me at 1800 cals/day. I've been doing okay on it (only about a week) and have been able to stay under it yesterday and today when I planned out my days and put my mind to it. The websites (MFP, Jillian Michaels, the zig-zagging website that's on other forums, etc.) I've input my stats say I need 2000-2200 cals/day to have "extreme" weight loss.
Am I starving myself? Sometimes I feel hungry, but I have a low cal snack or drink water or chew some gum and I'm okay.

Replies

• surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    MFP is set up at most for your body to lose 2 lbs a week. I wouldn't call that "extreme." Your doctor appears to be a bit more aggressive, but not by much (maybe a half calorie per week if I am doing the math right).
  • scotty_81
    scotty_81 Posts: 59
    Options
    1800 seems a little low. The calculation on this website matches up with others I have found for me. Most weight loss advice recommends only losing one pound a week. Also if you're feeling hungry that is your body's way of telling you you need to eat more!
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1,800 cal is generally what I've been eating on the days that I workout, and I'm trying to eat 1,200 cal on the days that I don't. I've lost majority of what I want to loose. My girlfriend is eating about the same as me, and she has loosed a total of 66lbs with 44 to go. You're on the right track. 2,000 is a lot when your main diet is fruits and veggies. But if you are hungry make sure you eat a piece of fruit or something good for you. That's when your most likely to cheat. I'm eating all the time to make sure I don't and I never reach 2,000.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1,800 cal is generally what I've been eating on the days that I workout, and I'm trying to eat 1,200 cal on the days that I don't. I've lost majority of what I want to loose. My girlfriend is eating about the same as me, and she has loosed a total of 66lbs with 44 to go. You're on the right track. 2,000 is a lot when your main diet is fruits and veggies. But if you are hungry make sure you eat a piece of fruit or something good for you. That's when your most likely to cheat. I'm eating all the time to make sure I don't and I never reach 2,000.
  • Irelander
    Irelander Posts: 3
    Options
    I agree with the majority of posts here, seems that 1800-2000 cal/day is ideal for you (to lose weight)..

Maybe a helpful suggestion is making sure what you are eating is balanced out (fat / carbs / protein) and the "good" kind overall. Also make sure you are well hydrated, perhaps one thing that MIGHT help with the hunger issue... try drinking a glass of water about 20-30 mins before eating a meal. If you are hungry afterwards, give it 30 mins, and try another glass (4 oz) and if you are hungry 5 mins after that, eat something, your body is telling you to! ;-)
  • Mspositive1
    Mspositive1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    well i think the 2000 calories is good is u want to lose weight fast, if ur hungry all the time eat smaller portion andhealthy at the same time, snack on cracker or fruits and drink more water, or boil some viggies....wish u best of luck mama, am strougglin to lose 40 pounds and its not easy.