squats!

Options
so i really wana work on my booty. I want it rounder and perkier. I know squats would help alot but I just feel like my form is off. I try to keep my weight back and it my heels but I feel like I am going to fall backwards. Is it ok if my upper body leans forward while i stick my butt back to even it out? or how do u prevent from falling back?

Replies

• robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to go a smith squat machine if your gym has one. It will help you with your form . If you do not have access to one there are other leg exercises that will help you get your results if you are struggling with squats/. There are sissy squats, Romanian one leg squats and leg presses/ My other suggestion is find someone at a gym to show you the right technique for squats.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    We need video of how you do it before we can actually critique your form. But Pretty much chest up back straight butt back and all the weight on the heels. if you feel like you're going to fall back, go to a lighter weight until you're able to figure out your form is right. Remember form is better than going heavy with no form. End up hurting yourself which means no squats.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to go a smith squat machine if your gym has one. It will help you with your form .

This is the worst possible thing you could do to fix your squat form.

Get a video. We'll help.
  • gigi889
    Options
    I hold on to back of chair, take butt down, chest up, and push back up with heels. Good luck!
  • cairee
    cairee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    yes you can lean forwards for balance, just keep the weight on your heels and dont bow your back and neck. you can reach your arms forwards while you squat down for balance as well, add weights if you want but they are not required.
    check out this video for good squat form
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/exercise-detail/Squat/4n/
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    alternative is to wrap a towel or belt around a stable object like a stair banister and use that to keep form while you squat.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Get someone at the gym to check your form.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The following assumes that you have no flexibility issues in the hip flexors, which can cause you to bend over when trying to squat deep (as that can be an entirely different subject altogether):

It's really an individual thing, based mostly upon length of legs versus length of torso. I've seen guys with short legs and long torsos who look just like the pictures of babies squatting: upper bodies perfectly upright, etc. This is due to the fact that the upper half of their leg isn't forcing the weight so far back with it's length as to cause the weight to come off center.

I, on the other hand, almost look more like a broken toy when squatting, due to the fact that I have to bend over further while squatting in order to keep the weight over my feet, and thus my body balanced.

Assuming the hips can take it (mine can't), widening the stance can help mitigate this a bit by reducing the factor of how far your butt is pushed to the rear.
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would suggest to go a smith squat machine if your gym has one. It will help you with your form .

This is the worst possible thing you could do to fix your squat form.

Get a video. We'll help.

I disagree with your assessment. but that is okay. It helped me get my form back. and many body builders I know use it for the sme reason. Not everything works for everyone and my post also offered other suggestions
  • rylovesty23
    Options
    make sure you knees are not going over your toes!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Get flat soled shoes. I have a really hard time with heavy squats if Im wearing crosstrainers. allows you to stay on your heals without falling over backwards.

I disagree with the smith machine also as it restricts your movement and I dont think you can get proper form from it. If you choose to do this do it really light.