Coconut oil

Options

Replies

• asizesix
    asizesix Posts: 134
    Options
    i use it as moisturizer, in my hair as a leave-in conditioner, for frying....pretty much anywhere you could use regular oil!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I cook with it a lot, put it in my coffee every morning (google bulletproof coffee for that recipe), use it in place of butter sometimes (love it on sweet potatoes with a bit of cinnamon), use it on my skin regularly, and sometimes in the ends of my hair. Great stuff!
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Tonight for dinner I sautéed a flounder filet in a tbs of coconut oil with some fresh pineapple. So yummy!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids (omega-3s). I use it in baking (substituting butter), face cleanser, moisturizer (skin and hair), pretty much anything. It tastes amazing on its own, but really boosts a smoothie. People are scared of fat, but healthy fats like omega-3s help in brain function, control of cholesterol levels, appetite control, and blood sugar control.

If you've heard horror stories about coconut oil and its high fat content in the past, most of those studies are referring to hydrolyzed versions of coconut oil. Any hydrolyzed oil is unhealthy because it produces trans fats that are not natural to the oil.
    ????????????good post.
    Read up on them.. http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-915-MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs).aspx?activeIngredientId=915&activeIngredientName=MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES (MCTs)
    Coconut l is good stuff. I use it on my dry hands and face... Works gat, absorbs quickly. Cooking with it is awesome. I am planning on making my own deoderant with it mixed with corn startch and essstntial oils... Its supposed to work wonders accrding to pinterest touts!
  • dukesangel
    dukesangel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I use it in all of my bread recipes. It helps the bread keep longer than butter.

I also use it to condition my saddle and reins. The leather LOVES it.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump.. been reading many uses of it on my own..
  • kseg611
    Options
    I use it for anything and everything! I use it as a facial cleanser, moisturizer, oil-pulling, in my hot tea and even for my dog! She goes crazy for it and it's great for her as well!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    love to smear that all over my body.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids (omega-3s). I use it in baking (substituting butter), face cleanser, moisturizer (skin and hair), pretty much anything. It tastes amazing on its own, but really boosts a smoothie. People are scared of fat, but healthy fats like omega-3s help in brain function, control of cholesterol levels, appetite control, and blood sugar control.

If you've heard horror stories about coconut oil and its high fat content in the past, most of those studies are referring to hydrolyzed versions of coconut oil. Any hydrolyzed oil is unhealthy because it produces trans fats that are not natural to the oil.

This!

And I put it in my coffee as well as cook with it. Very healthy fat :bigsmile:
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I use it when I'm cooking Indian food and in some baking (adds a nice little bit of coconut flavor to my baked oatmeal). As others have noted it's great for popping corn in--I recently found a coconut kettle corn recipe that involves throwing a little bit of brown raw sugar and salt on corn popped in coconut oil, and it was really good.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love using it in place of cream cheese when I eat bagels. I had made a bagel one day without realizing we were out of cream cheese, so tried the coconut oil and loved it! My kids also love it in place of butter on their waffles. My husband puts it in his coffee every morning since he likes to do Intermittent Fasting and the coconut oil gives him some good fat to tide him over until evening.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of butter or oil when frying things and in certain cookie recipes, especially gluten free. I also use it in my hair and on my skin.
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    BUMP for my friends thinking about using coconut oil or looking for more uses for their coconut oil!
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Since using coconut oil daily (usually 2 tbs per day), I have tons more energy, my hair and skin look nicer and I even think my shape is changing, even though I've been maintaining my weight. My waist feels slimmer. For me, this stuff is essential. I'm a believer!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep for reference on all of the great sites listed here. Thanks !! :happy:
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump!! Thanks everyone
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    It's great as an edible personal lubricant and massage oil...
  • dprada89
    Options
    As everyone has mentioned is good to replace normal oil and butter!! :smile:
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    It's great as an edible personal lubricant and massage oil...

Too hard to log :laugh: