broken body

Options
Hi, Started walking and watching what I eat to lose weight. Going well for a month~then 3 days ago fell, broke arm 2 places and my front teeth. Can't eat or exercise~what do I do?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    WHy can't you eat? Eat soft foods.. soups, mashed potatos, broths, etc.

And for exercising... there is a lot of exercise you can do with a broken arm. I worked out with a broken foot a few years ago.
  • gigi889
    Options
    Am eating soft foods. Fell downstairs onto concrete floor~body is still pretty swollen and sore. Wondering what I should start out with when able.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Ooooh ow. :( I have no practical advice to offer expect to be very gentle with your body, both now and when you begin back up again. Low impact exercises, maybe, yoga or pilates. I hope you feel better soon!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    When you feel up for it just start off by taking slow walks. Gradually work up from there as you feel better.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You'll be burning a few calories trying to heal that body! Just take it easy in small increments. Even the greatest powerlifters got there 2.5kg at a time, the fastest runners built up their speed by fractions of a mile-per-hour. You can do it, just small increments, and a continuous gentle push.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    OUCH!

Your body burns lots of calories just trying to heal. Just eat sensibly, make sure you get enough protein, and you'll be fine. I'd suggest greek yogurt and maybe some soft cheeses or cottage cheese for protein. Fruits are easier - oranges and grapefruit are soft, applesauce or baked apples.

As for exercise, walking does amazing things to get your energy back. Take it slow and don't over-do it.

Oh - and make sure you get enough sleep!
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    First rest up and get better. Then walk and continue eating softer foods until you get those teeth fixed. It's not impossible, atleast you didn't break something worse :( Hope you feel better!
  • bgardiner49
    bgardiner49 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You poor thing! I have no advice either, except to eat sensibly and healthily and rest. Your doctor should be able to advise about exercise
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to push yourself too hard!

It can be very tempting to get back to exercise before you're ready and do a lot more harm than good.

Build it up slowly and if it hurts, stop. Listen to your body, give it time to heal and try not to get frustrated if it takes a while.

Hope your recovery goes well
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    OMG :((( I'm so sorry this happened to you. I also broke one of my front teeth 2 weeks ago and the dentist then discovered another that needed a root canal so I ended up with a really beaten up face, constant penicillin intake and lots of pain. I was living on mashed potatoes with different sauces - portion control was really hard as I'm such a sucker for mashed potatoes :)

But I still managed to keep losing, you really have to be disciplined with the portions if you are in bed all day. Does someone prepare the food for you? Can you ask them to measure the ingredients so that you can calculate how much you want to eat from it?
    Oh, and chicken broth is the other superfood. I could not stop eating that either (used a blender in the beginning, could not eat the pieces).
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Focus on healing for now. When you feel up to it start with low impact work outs. Yoga is one of my faves. Make sure you eat well during your healing time to keep you on track. Feel better.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Protein shakes - HIGH in protein to help your body heal. Plus you can puree almost anything. I know you probably aren't feeling up to doing much right now ... reason for the protein shake suggestion. I had 12 teeth pulled at one time and I broke my arm ... just not at the same time ... and I don't remember wanting to move around alot. Hopefully you have a support system to help you a bit. Best of luck.
  • gigi889
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! Was feeling very down, but you all have boosted me up. Soups I am doing for now. Going to Dentist tomorrow afternoon, but I'm sure it will take a few trips. Excerise for now is going up and down the stairs.