Anybody with IBS-C? Diet advice?

Options
I am so tired of the intestinal pain, bloat, tiredness, and the C that goes along with this condition. I am unable to digest gluten, take supplements such as magnesium, probiotics, omega3's, add flax and acacia fiber to my foods. Eat uncontaminated oats for soluble fiber. Drink plenty of water, exercise at least 5 days a week and nothing is helping me. I would like to know what helps you? I am unable to tolerate psyllium, and senna leaf. i also drink aloe vera gel.

Replies

• amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this is something that is so very much on an individual basis so what may be good for me or Tom, D1ck and Harry will not be good for you....sad to say!
    However, I do soo understand what you are going through as I have had the same and have to be extremely careful about what I eat.
    With the constipation ..which I presume you are referring to...I had Fybrogel prescribed at one time which gave me the most terrible pains but not a bit of movement,..just for one example. I know someone who ate plain yogurts especially the bio ones with active cultures in them which helped her immensley.
    Keep on trying different things and note what you find helpful.
    Milpar is a very gentle laxative but then it may not be strong enough for what you need.

I do so hope you will get some relief from this very soon altho' it is something that usually we just have to learn to live with.
  • wannabtight
    wannabtight Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with you there. My case is very severe and even certain bowel preps have not worked for me. I am just so tired of the pain, cramping, bloat, weight gain. It is so very frustrating when I am doing my best to eat properly, drink enough fluids, and exercise. But then have no result. :sad: I don't want to go through another surgery again.
  • NothingsChanged
    NothingsChanged Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i too have ibs w/c. it sucks, no way around it. over the years i have been trying to figure out what causes it to be worse and what helps. your mileage my vary, but here are some helpful things for me.

-increase good oils in your diet. monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. olive, flax, hemp, walnut, etc.
    -chia seeds are my best friend. add just a little bit to warm water, let them sit in the frig over night and in the morning you have a base that is great for the colon but when favor is added, it makes a great pudding.
    -proboitic foods. i use coconut kefir and kombucha tea. these can either be bought already made or made at home.
    - i used the IBS FODMAP approach for a long time to notice when foods were causing symptoms to worsen. visit -> http://ibs.about.com/od/treatmentofibs/a/The-Fodmap-Theory-For-IBS.htm
    - i went vegan after discovering that egg and milk products make thigns worse (along with other reasons), but that might not work for you

as always, keep a record of what your are eating and notice how it changes your movements that day and the next. and keep in mind that some things change over time. what might be fine now might not be OK in the future, and the other way around as well.

best of luck and i hope you find something that works for you.
  • tunisia86
    tunisia86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and apart from this week (been major stressed) it's been better recently. I've cut out bread and pasta from my diet mostly and it's kinda helped the stomach pains. I had pasta the other day as a treat and I felt so ill and my stomach was so bloated that it's made my decision to cut it out much easier. I take aloe Vera tablets at night to help the the bowels and they seem to work well. I've also just started cutting out normal milk and having almond milk instead. I used to find if I had a glass of milk in the morning with my protein powder I'd need to run to the loo about 20mins afterwards which isn't easy when I'm normally at the gym first thing. Keep going with the execise cause that should help with destressing which will help with the IBS. I would suggest increasing your protein and reducing the carbs as I've found this has helped me esp with losing weight as it fills me up more than carbs ever did.
  • wannabtight
    Options
    How do you deal with the pain? I am stuck in bed with such intense cramps.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Obviously, everyone has different triggers, but after 10 years of suffering, (and 10 years previous suffering IBS-A), and trying to omit every food there is in a bid to get to the bottom of it, I found the culprit for me: Red Meat. I went from eating it 4/5 times a week, constant pain, bloating and discomfort and worst of all, impaction, to now eating red meat very very rarely, and couldn't tell you the last time I had an IBS flareup.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with the point about stress and infortunately being uptight at getting more bouts of pain can lead to a vicous circle.
    Are you on any medication for this?
    I take Stemetil at the slightest sign of it occuring which stops it practically immediately.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    For me I found over eating to trigger it.
    Also once I started logging things and cutting back on rice and pasta helped so very much
  • wannabtight
    Options
    I am not on any medication for the IBS yet... going to see my Dr and ask to see a gastroenterogist. the pain is still here today. Nothing is helping it. I hope it stops soon. Think I will try drinking aloe and taking glutamine.
  • wannabtight
    Options
    Nothing is helping me. I went to the walk in clinic yesterday and they were supposed to give me an xray of my intestines but the machine is broken, so I have to wait in discomfort, toll tomorrow. I was put on two prescriptions for the pain. Domperidone and baclofac, I think, made me so darn tired I could only work for 3 hrs. I am feeling so weak that walking up two flights of stairs was difficult. I am so frustrated and depressed, I don't want or feel like doing anything. If anybody has any more advice, I would surely appreciate it now.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I am with you.... I have an IBS attack from eating pasta, milk, breads and even fruits. I recently watched fat sick and nearly dead and went on a 14 day juicing fast. I have had one attack since Jan and that was from introducing food back into my diet. I feel that it reset my system because I was feeding it straight nutrients. I now eat healthy unprocessed foods and have cut out dairy and have no problems with it. May be worth a shot....
  • wannabtight
    Options
    I am going to see a naturopath next week and I will most likely be put on an elimination diet I imagine no casein. I going to try and find alternate protein powder.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Same problem. Eating good fiber, drinking water..but still have bloating and very C! Just made appointment with my naturopath.
  • Dupriwells
    Options
    Try to take konsyl fiber supplement. Drink a glass of hot lemon water. Might work ????????????
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Look for 'carrageenan' in food ingredients. Then don't eat it.
  • Jonesy45
    Jonesy45 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have had the same problem and found out that carbonation in sodas set me off. So gave up soda and I rarely have had a problem.