London Marathon Support

Options
Hey all -

Looking for any advice, motivation or support I can get really!!

4 weeks ago (on Tuesday) I was asked to run the London Marathon by Breast Cancer Care. I had applied in the ballot last year and through numerous charities but was rejected.

88 days before the marathon I was asked to run... Breast Cancer Care is a charity that has really affected my life from the age of four and just a week before I asked to run, another bump appeared in my family's road.

I would have said no, but because of how coincidental it seemed I had to agree! Along with that, I've agreed to raise £8800 (£100 per day of training up to the race!) Mad I know?

I'm suffering from a minor injury at the moment which I suspect is just a knot in my calf muscle. I'm heading to a sports therapist tonight to get it massaged out. But I'm starting to get worried!!

Any warm wise words would be hugely appreciated.

I'm keeping a blog which you can read here: www.london26point2.wordpress.com or if you'd like to sponsor me please visit: uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BexxLondonMarathon

Thank you all for reading! xxx

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Good luck - and congrats on getting a place. :drinker:

Do you already have a good running base - or are you basically starting from scratch?
    Have you done a marathon or half before?
    What is your longest run so far (within the last month)?
    Do you have a goal - or do you just want to get round?

Lots of questions but they will help with the running advice.

Mad that they asked you so close - I assume someone dropped out - it will be amazing though. It's on my list of things to do, I almost did it a few years ago but I injured my knee the month before :noway: I went and supported though and it was fab - you'll love it - just don't push yourself too hard and get that injury check out. :flowerforyou:
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hey 'newme1313' :)

Do you already have a good running base - or are you basically starting from scratch? Basically starting from scratch... I used to run 5-7km 2/3 times a week about 8 months ago but stopped when I started my new job... I would run maybe 5km a week in the last 8 months (if that!!)
    Have you done a marathon or half before? Nope!!!
    What is your longest run so far (within the last month)? 7 miles.
    Do you have a goal - or do you just want to get round? I'd like to do it in under 5 hours... Aiming for 11 ish minute miles...

HMMM!

Thank you for taking time to reply xx
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Well the main thing to do is not to over train as your running base is quite minimal. Are you following a plan - or doing your own thing?

Runners world have some excellent plans and advice

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/big-marathon-index/7355.html

I would have to say that with only 8 weeks and no long runs under your belt to go you might be better on a run/walk plan - you want to be able to enjoy this day and adding in walking breaks will make it easier on your body. You could still meet your target of under 5 hours - and feel less dead at the end :laugh: And some runners have noted that their times got better with a walk break at certain intervals.

I'd jump onto the runners world forum and get some advice from the very experienced runners there. I did when I was training and they are very helpful.

Again good luck - :drinker:
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've just got back from the physio who has helped enormous amounts. I feel like I have new legs!

Managed 10km today, so hoping for a few good runs this week and we'll see how we get on!

Thanks for the comments and support, I'll check the forums out :)
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you!

I'm volunteering for the cheer squad for GOSH. One day I might get to run!

Hope the injury is better soon- all the best :)