WENT FROM THE FAT KID 2 WANTING 2 B A TRAINER

Options
All of my life I have been fat (let's just keep it real). I am currently in school getting my BS in Health Science, to later get my Master's in Occupational Therapy. I never used to like to exercise, but now that is a voluntary and regular part of my life, I realized I have a passion for it. I have decided I want to work as a professional trainer or work for a sports team. Obviously I have more work to do on my body before I can be taken seriously, but by the time I finish my degree I will be there.
But I'm having a moral dilemma. I initially set out to become an Occupational Therapist, because I have an incurable brain condition and as a child I had to do both PT and OT. So I wanted to become an OT to help people with brain injuries, so with this new desire to maybe work for a sports team I feel guilty.

Replies

• 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    No reason why you cant do both. Besides with each you are helping others, nothing to feel bad about.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Do whatever will make you happiest IMO.

I'm having a dilemma when it comes to my schooling right now as well. I am bouncing between nursing and social work and I just can't pick.
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Whichever you choose, you will be helping people.
  • 180forlife
    Options
    I thought I'd chime in as I've been in the medical field for over 20 years.

PT/OT you are going to work with people who are injured in some way or handicapped. Personal training certification you should be able to get prior to a masters or bachelors degree. So, yeah you can do both and actually as a personal trainer, that will help you with acceptance into PT/OT school. I know therapy schools want volunteer experience hours or PT/OT aide work experience which helps with one's chances of getting accepted into a school. The more you "do" in line with the field, the more "they" like it.

To Boomstickchick: You can do social work as a nurse, but I've never seen a social worker (LSW) doing a nurses job. Social workers do case management in hospitals and along side them are RN's who do the same thing, same position. My ex-wife got her bachelors degree in social work and after graduation, she hated her job working with children as it was so depressing. She refused to work for any community or state based protective agency as the nature of that work is the hardest of hardest cases.....sexual abuse, etc. She quit after a year and went back to school for electronics. I know for a fact that nursing has many more avenues for jobs and for advanced educational paths. You can start out small in nursing and later become a nurse practitioner or anesthetist. Social work, you really need a masters to get a real job in the field and those jobs are not necessarily filling the job boards. Definitely a big difference in potential salary between nursing and social work. Yes, both helps people, just one has more options and higher pay.

Just fyi and I hope it helps. :)

Good luck to you both!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Well I won't have to go to a PT/OT school. Once I get my BS in Health Science, I can get my MS in OT and just take my boards. But You are right, I can be a trainer between my BS and MS. Thanks!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING, THANKS SO MUCH!
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Nice job! Either way you are helping people (I'm a PTA) so as far as I'm concerned you should NOT feel guilty at all!
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Im an OT and you wouldn't believe the impact you can have on your patients by just being knowledgeable about health and fittness...Finish your degree...then do the fitness stuff on the side for fun!
  • PumpGertrude
    Options
    If I had dealt with an incurable brain disorder growing up, it would mean the world to me to see someone who had gone through the same things as me and went on to live their dream, aided by the skills they learned in PT and OT. There are plenty of OTs out there for kids with brain injuries and I'm sure all of them really care about their patients and are very skilled. There are less people overcoming brain injuries and weight problems who then go on to live their heart's desire. The world needs people who are living their dreams, and if I were you I think I could best serve kids going through the same thing I did by being an example of what is possible for them.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!