Calorie Question! ^_^

Options
Is it good or bad to be under the daily calorie goal? I have been commenting on a few peoples posts saying good job for being under their calorie goal and I am not really sure if it is bad or not or something... :/

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's better to be close to goal. Too much under 1200 every day isn't good for your body
  • samygirl928
    samygirl928 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Okay! ^_^ Thank you! :D
  • psv1012
    psv1012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last post, try not to go under 1200 calories, especially if you are young. I am older (grandma older) and can eat less and be fine due to my metabolism. You don't want your body getting too use to low-low calorie days or it will refuse to let go of the weight for you, sounds silly , I know it to be true :) after years of trying every crazy diet out there . Good luck.
  • holliwood97
    holliwood97 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi SamyGirl.,

i think it really depends on what the person is doing... there are alot of people on here that eat alot of calories. (eat more to weigh less) and lose weight. and alot of people on here that eat low calories and lose weight. And there are very mixed opinions on the subjects. So i encourage people because they are choosing there path. and they never really asked my opinion LOL... I eat alot of calories to lose weight. thats the route i have taken. And its working for me. Seems like alot of people adjust as they go along. i started at 1360 calories a day then jumped mine to 1850. i just didnt feel like i was eatting enough and it seemed like a diet. and i refuse to go on a diet. Now that i am at 1850. its a piece of cake and very easy and very sustainable...and alot of times if people struggle not eatting enough calories they will usually ask someone and then they tweak what they are doing to keep progressing!
  • samygirl928
    Options
    psv1012: okay! :) Thank you! ^_^ Good luck to you too! :D
  • samygirl928
    Options
    holliwood97: okay. :) Thank you! I didn't know that people could lose weight by eating more or less calories... ^_^
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ive just started and was on 1200:cals. I was miserable so i upped to 1500. Looking through mybdiary i never reach 1500 and sometimes stay at 1200. It was a psychological thing for me
  • samygirl928
    Options
    Okay. ^_^
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1680. I always aim for less. 1200 doesn't always feel like enough for me but somewhere in the middle is just right. I know people that eat a lot less and a lot more and I just encourage them all to do what's right for them.
  • lepanto
    lepanto Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    holliwood97: okay. :) Thank you! I didn't know that people could lose weight by eating more or less calories... ^_^
  • lepanto
    Options
    There are a lot of threads on here about eating more to weigh less, definitely worth doing a search on it. I think a lot of folks worry about not being able to lose if they have a higher caloric intake but it seems to work for a lot of people on here. It also seems like folks will try eating more to weigh less when they hit a plateau to see if that will jumpstart things. Different things work for different people
  • lepanto
    Options
    Also, if you haven't read the Roadmap 2.0 thread yet, it's worth a look, too!
  • Gaelicgirl1983
    Options
    Hey Sam! This is actually something I've been wanting to talk to you about, but I wasn't sure how to address it without coming off rude. It is indeed possible to lose weight by eating more calories. From the research I have done, this is because the whole calories in - calories out = weight formula is not accurate. Carbs are what make you fat. When you eat a lot of carbs (around 100g per day or more), your body produces the hormone insulin. When your body is producing insulin, your fat storage increases. If you keep your insulin levels low, your body will burn fat for energy instead of sugar.

I would really recommend looking into low carb diets such as Atkins, ketogenic or paleo. But the thing that you have to keep in mind is that these aren't diets. They are lifestyle changes. If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to commit to making these changes for life. I started doing low carb last Sunday, and in a week i have lost two pounds and two inches off my waist and I have tons of energy. If you like to read, I'd also recommend checking out Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat." If you don't but you enjoy watching youtube videos, you can check out one of his talks on there instead. Feel free to ask me any questions either here or on facebook.
  • samygirl928
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your feedback and for responding to this post! ^_^ It is greatly appreciated! :)
  • samygirl928
    Options
    Hey Sam! This is actually something I've been wanting to talk to you about, but I wasn't sure how to address it without coming off rude. It is indeed possible to lose weight by eating more calories. From the research I have done, this is because the whole calories in - calories out = weight formula is not accurate. Carbs are what make you fat. When you eat a lot of carbs (around 100g per day or more), your body produces the hormone insulin. When your body is producing insulin, your fat storage increases. If you keep your insulin levels low, your body will burn fat for energy instead of sugar.

I would really recommend looking into low carb diets such as Atkins, ketogenic or paleo. But the thing that you have to keep in mind is that these aren't diets. They are lifestyle changes. If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to commit to making these changes for life. I started doing low carb last Sunday, and in a week i have lost two pounds and two inches off my waist and I have tons of energy. If you like to read, I'd also recommend checking out Gary Taubes' book "Why We Get Fat." If you don't but you enjoy watching youtube videos, you can check out one of his talks on there instead. Feel free to ask me any questions either here or on facebook.

Okay, will do. :) Thank you Kristin! :D