Feeling HOPELESS :(

Options
So I am really trying to absolute hardest to get really in shape so I can go through swim suit model try outs next fall....
- I work out EVERYDAY (usually 300-400 calories a day in cardio and then strength training for 20-30 minutes)
- eat pretty well for a college student (lots of veggies, fruit, lean meats, and some high fiber carbs)
- Limit my calories to 1200

But I still don't see what I want to see! I met a girl last night who models for a company and I wonder what she does....I am not close enough with her to actually go and ask her what her secrets are haha

Im obviously the one with blue pants...ha.....

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON TONING UP MORE!?! Helpppppp!

http://tinypic.com/r/r795vl/6

http://tinypic.com/r/20urhog/6

Replies

• DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    FWIW I think your beautiful! I'm sorry you feel hopeless. That is really sad to me. Your a beautiful girl and should be proud of that. I understand the personal desire for one's personal best, but I think you should look at your self objectively. Anyway, to answer you question Katilin posted a website the other day for bodybuilders that has some great tips. I'll find the link BRB.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/monica4.htm
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    You said it best, sweetie:

"Why I Want To Get In Shape
    To look gooood ;) and to be healthy!"

My suggs: You probably need to increase your calories, increase your weights, & Yoga, Yoga, Yoga, but most of all just love who your are....it'll come...:flowerforyou:

Hugs...mj
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Girl, you look great. It looks like you just want to be like someone else... you're already very sculpted and thin. If you work out so much, you may have to increase your calories. Are you trying to lose weight or just tone up? I would say just look for ways to burn fat more productively so you'll tone up easier.

Also, are you doing strength training everyday? This would be fine if you are alternating muscle groups. Each muscle group needs 24-48 hours of REST before you work them again, so if you're doing say, abs and arms one day and the next legs, back and butt, that would be fine. If you work your whole body, rest a day, then work out the next. This may be why you're not seeing results (if you are working your whole body everyday). Our muscles get fatigued and if they don't have time to recuperate before working them again, they won't give you the results you want because they're tired!!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Don't feel hopeless ;) Have you tried pilates??? Works WONDERS for me! Also another thing that I have found to really make me "appear" leaner and the health benefits are FABULOUS is a health supplement, but you have to be careful with it...as with any supplement. I drink Aloe Vera juice everyday. I buy mine in a bulk container and it helps with a variety of things, mainly weight loss and detoxifying the body, skin, etc. It is vile tasting though. Plug, chug and chase. Google the health benefits. You can buy it anywhere. Start slow and then gradually work your way up to how many ounces per day you drink because it can have a laxative affect on your body. You also don't want to drink this if you have any intestinal disorders, are breastfeeding, pregnant, etc.
  • Bump319
    Bump319 Posts: 17
    Options
    First off -- you're gorgeous!!!! You are a knock out. I would maybe do a little more lifting weights (lighter weights with more reps), try a new cardio workout like a spin class or something to "shock" your system. I think you look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I would just switch it up a bit and see how that goes. :)
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I just really need to be the best my body can be so I can get through try-outs! Like my friend tess....doesnt she look amazing!? Its crazy to me! haha

Dizzie: Thanky you for that link! Just read it.....seems like this body builder really eats A LOT of protien..25 grams PER MEAL. thats kind of a lot I think Im a little bit scared to try that...but maybe!

M.J: I looooe yoga! I just can't do it here in my college town because I am about to leave back home! Schools almost out :) Maybe they have some classes at the gym back home. I signed up for yoga/pilates this september so that should be a blast

Arielle: I alternate lifting weights for arms and legs every day. I also do Abs everyday. ANYONE HAVE SOME AB WORKOUT SUGGESTIONS?! haha

Kirsten: That aloe sounds verrrry healthy...I may have to try that! And when you say supplements what kind do u mean??

Bump: If i was muscle to show like my friends amazing abs wouldn't i need heavier weight?? or is that me misunderstanding...haha
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    First of all, as everyone has said, you are beautiful. Seriously, every time I see your profile picture I wonder "when did Britney Spears join this site?" (I don't know how you feel about her, but that was meant as a compliment!)

Secondly, don't forget the amazing things that a pair of heels, a tan and a really good photo retouch artist can do! I mean, come on! You cannot compare a professional (probably retouched) photo with a regular one.

Thirdly, and most importantly for your goals, you ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH! I am speaking out of concern and love and not trying to make you feel bad, but just scrolling through a few of your most recent days, you are eating under 1000 calories and not making up for any of the exercise that you are doing.

You should do some internet research into the diets and routines of fitness models because, I assure you, they all eat at LEAST 1200 calories/day of high quality, nutrient dense foods.

I just today purchased Tom Venuto's ebook "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" because I want to join his summer body transformation challenge. The book doesn't really contain anything that I haven't already heard, but I wanted the info all in once place. The book is packed full of information about how you need to eat more and lift heavy to get the lean look. Extreme calorie restriction is not going to get you there.

Another great site full of free information is the Body for Life website: http://bodyforlife.com

I recommend checking out some of these sources for weight training and meal plans that will put you on the road to being leaner, if that is what you desire.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'd say try eating more and see if that helps. It works for a lot of people on here so it'll probably work for you.
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    Ok, based on that pick...you are crazy. I think you look better than your friend for the record.
    Just keep doing what you're doing, you're super toned. It's hard to look at yourself objectively, but trust me (i'm super picky) for a swimsuit model you're in great shape.
  • karissastephens
    Options
    okay thanks Ill try all of that! And Kaitlin I do eat more than 1000 calories I just sometimes never get the chance to log it in :blushing: oops!
  • porkchopz
    porkchopz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If this is a PROFESSIONAL goal for you, then maybe you should consider hiring a trainer who specializes in getting fitness models into shape. Did you ever see the episode of MTV True Life where the girl from an ivy league school wanted to go from average to pro bodybuilder? She hired a trainer who got her RIPPED!!! Truly an amazing transformation.

If you weren't doing this for professional reasons, I'd advise you to chill out and enjoy the beautiful body you already have.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    If this is a PROFESSIONAL goal for you, then maybe you should consider hiring a trainer who specializes in getting fitness models into shape. Did you ever see the episode of MTV True Life where the girl from an ivy league school wanted to go from average to pro bodybuilder? She hired a trainer who got her RIPPED!!! Truly an amazing transformation.

If you weren't doing this for professional reasons, I'd advise you to chill out and enjoy the beautiful body you already have.

Very good advice. I agree. I think that if you are being motivated by a professional goal, then you need to be professional about it and figure out EXACTLY what fitness models/competitors do to stay in their business. Of course some of it is good genetics (which you clearly have) but trust me, a lot of is very precise nutritional tracking, super clean eating and hard work in both the weight room and on the cardio equipment.

It sounds like you are on the right track, but, based on what you're saying, could probably tweak your current routine to bring yourself into peak condition. I'm glad to hear that you are eating more than 1000 calories a day, but remember that if you don't log everything, it makes it hard to go back and figure out what needs to be adjusted to reach your goals.

I think that Tom Venuto's book is a good place to start, but hiring someone who specializes in that area would probably be the ultimate best way.

Otherwise, if you are just wanting to be fit and healthy, then yeah.... chill out! You're hot! :happy:
  • pnwcowboy
    pnwcowboy Posts: 8
    Options
    i was told that muscle out weighs fat so if ur building too much muscle ur not gunna see the scale drop , do u count the calories in beverages? makes sure u do . I eat every 2hrs and drink 16 oz. of water , if i have a sandwich ill make it with three slices bread and extra meat but will cut it into three seperate pieces takes 6 hrs to eat it , i eat 7 times a day and consume under 1000 calories and never hungry, have to just eat it lol, less food u eat at one time the easier it is for ur body to digest it , sumtimes if food gets backed up it will be stored as fat. So stay positve and be creative ur looking great , hope this helps ya gl on ur try outs
  • emma1488
    emma1488 Posts: 175
    Options
    Ummm, Karissa...No offense to your friend...but ummm....:noway: She just has a nasty fake tan...she's not even that toned.
    From what i can see, you have an amazing body and an even better face!

I'm not anywhere near where i want to be either, so i'll offer you tips that seem to help me out...when i actually do them!

Start eating lean/unprocessed protein at every meal! Ive noticed you dont eat too much whole foods-try to avoid processed meats like hot dogs:sick:

Start eating smaller amounts every 2-3 hrs-maybe aim for 100-150 snacks in between your meals-I like to snack on cream cheese or cottage cheese and tomato on rice cakes, handful of raw nuts, small can of tuna/salmon, boiled egg...these all have protein in them.

Drink green tea!!!-most people think this is vile-most of the time it is, i drink mint green tea after meals-it helps get rid of that bloated feeling...also it has caffeine in it, so dont drink it at night time, or close to bed time.

Drink a bucketload of water and maybe even invest in some good multivitamins, to help you stay feeling your best...

Ultimately, i think you need to eat more....often. You should be eating something pretty much once you get up, something with protein in it. Just try to keep it around 200cals-i usually have some form of egg on toast and a coffee (nom nom nom). Then you need to eat something small again within the next 2-3 hrs ESPECIALLY if youre working out heaps! Then just make sure you continue to eat small amounts every 2-3 hrs, to keep your metabolism working (otherwise, any food that you put in your body is just gonna find a spot and cling on for dear life!) Remember, if the food you are putting in your mouth doesn't serve a purpose for your body (besides taste)don't put it in!....However, saying that, there are plenty of good foods that are tasty!

Phew, hopefully this will, help, im sure youve heard it all before but yeah:bigsmile:
  • karissastephens
    Options
    Porkchopz and Kaitlin: This is very much for a professional goal. :smile: And I’m super excited about it but I am unfortunately a BROKE college student :blushing: haha and can not afford a trainer (at least I’m assuming I can’t and I’m guessing they are pretty pricey) But I will def. have to watch that True Life episode! Sounds interesting!

Emma: haha! Wow ya she is required to get spray tans before each shoot…kind of like body builders! But yes I agree..not very cute ha:laugh: . And thank you for all of those tips! Ill try them out for sure!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    If you are really determined you should try to eat as cleanly as possible. As in, everything you put into your body is used to help you create the physique you want. I am sure you have heard of eating clean. Anyways there is a magazine called clean eating that has alot of good tips, and alot of snacky/quick recipes. The website is cleaneatingmag.com.
  • karissastephens
    Options
    If you are really determined you should try to eat as cleanly as possible. As in, everything you put into your body is used to help you create the physique you want. I am sure you have heard of eating clean. Anyways there is a magazine called clean eating that has alot of good tips, and alot of snacky/quick recipes. The website is cleaneatingmag.com.

Are u eating clean? Its really hard for me to do this onyl because I never have the time to cook :( or the space to put my food. I live in a house with tons of roommates!
  • questionablemethods
    Options

Are u eating clean? Its really hard for me to do this onyl because I never have the time to cook :( or the space to put my food. I live in a house with tons of roommates!

Tuna, broccoli and brown rice is a clean meal and a staple of bodybuilders/figure/fitness models. Tuna is a great, cheap source of protein.. I like to toss mine with a little lemon juice and pepper, but I don't mind it on its own, either. Go for the Albacore chunk WHITE, not chunk light, I think it tastes a lot better. It comes in small, single-serving containers if that makes your life easier. Cook up a bunch of brown rice once a week, buy a bunch of fresh or frozen broccoli and you are set.

Same goes for eggs (hardboil a bunch in advance) and oatmeal (go for thick rolled oats in bulk, not single serving packets, which have extra sugar and sodium).

I want to give you some tough love here (the same tough love I had to give myself this week) and say that if you are dedicated to a goal, you can do what it takes (which in this case really is eating clean) or you can decide that the goal isn't worth it. You can eat clean in college. I bet if you did some research, you could find some fitness models who are also college students who could tell you exactly how they did it and how they dealt with the nutrition aspect while in school.
  • questionablemethods
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind is that, depending upon the modeling, many do certain crazy things in the week(s) before a shoot to get down to a low body fat that they don't necessarily have all the time. They also can manipulate certain things to make their muscles look more full and the water between their muscles and skin less to bring out the definition. So, even if photos are edited, women on a shoot or in a competition don't necessarily look so cut all the time.

I'm just encouraging you to do your research and also be realistic about what body fat percentage is maintainable in the long term (which might be different than the percentage needed for an audition/photo shoot/competition).
  • Kmill217
    Kmill217 Posts: 204
    Options
    my 2c

from what information i've read. your a classic overtrainer, undereater.

You can more clean calories, that will not effect you one bit. I know girls are afraid of protein. There is a huge misconception that surrounds it. Fact is, as much as your break your muscles down from overtraining, if you ate more protein, you'd probably notice a huge difference, but your not giving your body the nutrients it requires, so it is probably contsantly breakin your muscles down to create energy. This is what happens when your macro's are all off.

solution:

MFP
    you need to find your basal metabolic rate, and go from there. there are many calculators if you just google it. but MFP will do all the work or you.

Eating is all about timing. you obviously can' t just eat one meal at 1000 calories twice a day, and expect to lose weight. you need to time it to make sure your metablolism is running at its highest peak performance.

No night time eating. You want to fast through the night. It has a lot of benefits of fasting for 12-14hrs.

I was a broke college student once. Cafeteria was piss poor.

Solution:

Ate lots of salads with whatever protein they were serving the the night. If it wasn't clean protein.....out popped a pouch of tuna. I brought my own salad dressing with an olive oil base. Use in moderation, but eating mono and poly saturated fats will help you burn fat....

Training:

There are many articles online that can help you find a split (workout routine for a week) that will suit your needs.

forum.bodybuilding.com has an all female section, and I know hey have a lot of articles to help give you the physique your after.

Beautiful thing about life is that every problem usually has a solution.

“I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do.” Leonardo De Vinci

we're here to help....i hope this helped, but more importantly- i hope you eventually get what you want.