Liqorice root!

Options
KimmyBee
KimmyBee Posts: 158 Member
Me and my boyfriend were in an old fashioned English sweetshop the other day, knowing hat I couldnt have anything I was quite depressed, but I spotted a jar of liqorice roots and just had to buy one.

I figured, they are sweet, take a long time to eat so they keep you busy and complely natural, so it cant have much calories not to mention is a great conversation starter, Ive had abut three people ask me why im chewing on a stick. haha.

After chewing on it for a week or so I decided to have a look for some more info on it. most things I can find are for liqorice suppliments but I found this page which is quite interesting.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/89052/top_weekly_diet_tip_licorice_root.html?cat=51

This article (for those who cba to read) states that 100g will have approximately these nutritional values.

Energy Value: Kcal 126
Water: 30 grams
Protein: 0 grams
Carbohydrates: 20 grams
Fat: 0 grams
Mineral Salt: 5 grams
Raw Fiber: 45 grams

but as stated before. 100g would take a looong time to eat, so for me this is the perfect treat!

Just thought id share it for anyone who may be interested

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I love Liqorice extract. It helps me curb my sweet tooth and keeps me calm. I love the stuff! Would love to try the root too.
  • mlv333
    mlv333 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wow! 45 grams of fiber! It must make you feel super full too. If I ever stumble across it, I'll have to give it a try. My sweet tooth is my handicap.
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    do you know where to buy it? (im in the UK)

They have licorice in the health food stores here but im pretty sure its not licorice root.

Also is the licorice root low GI?
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    Also is the licorice root low GI?

Haven't a clue i'm afraid :embarassed:

Alls I know is that it stops me from raiding the fridge every time I fancy something sweet!
  • styanne
    styanne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i bought some the other day in my local health food shop.
    diane
  • KimmyBee
    Options
    its tasty. I was sat chewing on mine in the train travelling to my in-laws. I must have had so many people give me funny looks.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I love liquorice! It's sweet but not bad for you - and I don't have much of a sweet tooth so the fact that it's not cloying is appealing too. Panda soft licorice pieces are available in the US and the UK and they're all natural too! 15 pieces (which I could NEVER eat - I usually have one or maybe two - they're so chewy that they satisfy me in very small quantities) is 130 cals, 0 fat, 90mg sodium, 31g carb (17 sugar), and 2g protein. So only around 9 calories per piece!!