Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How long did it take you to get your running back?

I used to run track in high school, I used to have an 8 min mile about, I havent ran-ran in like 2 years!!! I do go on the tredmill at the gym but nothing rlly higher then 6mph.....how long did it take yall to get back in a decent running shape? My husband comes home in like 3 weeks and wants me to go running with him to improve his pt (hes in the army) and i dont wanna look pathetic compared to him haha so how long did it take yall to get in decent running shape? If i work rlly hard do you think i can improve in 3 weeks?

Replies

• stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    I am nowhere near that, but I have been trying to "run". So, I don't know if my advice or thoughts will really matter. But you will certainly improve in 3 weeks. I went from NO working out to running 40 minutes a day in 6 weeks. I don't run 8 min miles, but I was coming from 80 lbs overweight (obese) to making it for 40 minutes without "dying"! If a couple of years ago you were running track at 8 min. miles, 3 weeks will help you get back into the swing of things... at least I think so! : ) Good luck!
  • I always try to snag a running back in the first round - so not long :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    I always try to snag a running back in the first round - so not long :)

Dammit. I was coming here to post the same lame joke. You're fast sir, very fast
  • After nearly two months of running I am slowly getting back to a decent standard. I'm no where near where I used to be before though. Too many knee injuries since my last competitive race in 2010. It depends on what you want to run? How far and how long?
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Everyone is different and its impossible to know what sort of base you have based on what you told us. I'd say...do what you can but you should know from your track experience to not push it either. Injury won't help your cause! Speed wise? I don't think you can make major gains in 3 weeks. Endurance? That you probably can do.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    After a full year off within 3 weeks I could do a 5k again without walking breaks. But my speed was much slower than at my best i think the first 5k was about 34 mins, now another 6weeks later I just ran a 27 min 5k.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Everyone is different and its impossible to know what sort of base you have based on what you told us. I'd say...do what you can but you should know from your track experience to not push it either. Injury won't help your cause! Speed wise? I don't think you can make major gains in 3 weeks. Endurance? That you probably can do.

I concur. You won't be at your 8 min. mile in three weeks, but if you've been a runner in the recent past, I think you could get some mileage in by then. :flowerforyou:
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I used to run track in high school, I used to have an 8 min mile about, I havent ran-ran in like 2 years!!! I do go on the tredmill at the gym but nothing rlly higher then 6mph.....how long did it take yall to get back in a decent running shape? My husband comes home in like 3 weeks and wants me to go running with him to improve his pt (hes in the army) and i dont wanna look pathetic compared to him haha so how long did it take yall to get in decent running shape? If i work rlly hard do you think i can improve in 3 weeks?

Three weeks is completely within your grasp. Just get training and you will be surprised how quickly fitness returns, don't overdo it though otherwise you will be back to square one and make sure you have rest days, they are as important as the run days.