NSV--Couch to 5K complete

Options
jmacaroni
jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
Today I finished the Couch to 5K program. It was a long journey for me. I started the program 2 years ago, but halfway through I injured my hip and could barely walk, let alone run. It took me two years to decide to try to complete it again.

9 weeks ago I never imagined I would be able to run for 30 minutes. Now it’s a routine for me. I am at the heaviest weight I’ve ever been, and yet for the first time ever, I am able to run for ½ hour.

It just goes to show you that anyone can complete this program if they are determined. It really is designed for people who cannot run, and it will turn you into a runner. I actually enjoy running now!

Replies

• mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Grats! That's a great NSV.

But I have to counter your claim that anyone can do the program. I've tried three times and I can never get past week 2. I tried, I really, really did. I'm just not a runner and never will be. Oh well.

Are you planning on running any 5Ks? You should! I did one (walking) last year and it's a lot of fun. I imagine it would be even more fun running.
  • cuddlyjumper
    Options
    That's awesome! You should be proud!
    I've just started it again myself, I'm hoping I can make myself get through all of it this time. You inspire me :)
  • Lana359
    Lana359 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Way to go! You should be proud! :smile: I tried it a couple of years ago, but didn't finish. Starting again, in a couple of weeks.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    congrats! i've been slowly thinking about trying this program, but it seems like everytime i read about it, someone is telling me they had to stop b/c they got hurt. so i'm not sure.

congrats on the accomplishment!
  • ALittleBitLess1
    ALittleBitLess1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Well done you! I too completed it having never run before and never thought I would be a runner.
    Hoping to start up running again too as I lost weight in places I had not thought of as 'fat' last time.
    Need to sign myself up for some charity runs for motivation now!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I have gone through it a couple of times in the past. I know how hard it is, especially that first 20 minute run. I still love running a couple of times during my 45 minute walks in the morning.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm starting C25K tomorrow and I'm always doubting if I'll actually be able to run for 30 whole minutes. Seems so far out of reach... Thanks for the motivation! :)
  • ALittleBitLess1
    Options
    I used the NHS couch to 5k - was great, and when I did not do all 3 runs in one week I just repeated that week instead of giving up.
    I really rate the program , never thought I would have been able to do it and the first few weeks were quite hard, but basically it got me used to being outside, hot, sweaty and out of breath for half an hour - by the end I was sooo much fitter that i could run continuously for half an hour and was much mush less hot, sweaty and out of breath than when I started the program and was mostly walking!

Also I made myself a sticker chart, a star for every run, and if I got 3 stars in a week I gave myself a non-food related treat! this was surprisingly motivating.
  • ALittleBitLess1
    Options
    I used the NHS couch to 5k - was great, and when I did not do all 3 runs in one week I just repeated that week instead of giving up.
    I really rate the program , never thought I would have been able to do it and the first few weeks were quite hard, but basically it got me used to being outside, hot, sweaty and out of breath for half an hour - by the end I was sooo much fitter that i could run continuously for half an hour and was much mush less hot, sweaty and out of breath than when I started the program and was mostly walking!

Also I made myself a sticker chart, a star for every run, and if I got 3 stars in a week I gave myself a non-food related treat! this was surprisingly motivating.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishment! I am on week 4, so I understand what you had to do to reach this milestone. Congratulations! I look forward to being where you are in your running!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh congrats, that's so encouraging! I start week 3 tomorrow and I am dreading the thought of having to run for 3 minutes. I am anxious to see myself run the whole 30 minutes. In fact, I'm signed up for the Color Run on April 20.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love c25k!
  • demogal
    Options
    Congrats on completing the journey! I hope to be able to report the same in a few weeks. I'm on week 5 and can totally relate to the mild fear that comes up around my ability to run for 20 minutes straight. Your willingness to just keep one foot in front of the other is an inspiration!

Thanks for sharing!
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!!
  • caitlinlws
    caitlinlws Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I second what others have said, sign up for a 5k race! The feeling you get from finishing a race is amazing....but I have to warn you, they're addicting :smile:
  • originalkazila
    Options
    This is awesome. Awesome NSV. :D
  • Amybcb
    Amybcb Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great job! I actually STARTED C25K today... just finished my first day. I'll be honest my ankles, knees and shins hurt a bit but I was determined to do it. So proud of my self for starting and look forward to being where you are at in 9 weeks!
  • hope002
    hope002 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I finished week 4 today. I am so afraid of 20 mins run on week 5......
    Thanks for sharing, very inspiring!!!
  • Sweetfi
    Sweetfi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I finished week 5 day 3 today. That is the 20 mins no walking intervals. I expected it to be so hard. The next thing I knew I had less than 8 mins to go! I too never thought I would be a runner but now I know it ill be a part of my life for as long as I can still do it!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!