need help with oatmeal recipies

Options
divid
divid Posts: 68 Member
Hi Guys,
I need to start having oatmeal everyday so I'm wondering what you recommend. My post work out meal has to include 3/4 cup of oatmeal and 1 and 1/2 scoops of protein powder and a cup of fruit so i'm looking for ways to mix it up. I'm not a fan of mushy or runny...so help me out! Thanks =)

Replies

• Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    You could make some baked oatmeal and add some protein powder and fruit (I like it with apples or blueberries).
    By adding fruit to it, you can leave most of the sweetener out.

I made the following recipe the other day and it was really good. I'm sure you could just add some protein powder to it and you're good to go.

Quaker - Old Fashioned Rolled Oats - Dry, 1 1/2 cup
    Sugars - Brown, 6 tsp packed packed
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.33 tbsp
    Shur Fine - Baking Powder, 1 tsp
    Spices - Salt, table, 0.5 tsp
    Milk Walmart Great Value - 1% Milk, 4 ounces
    Sunny Meadow - Large Egg, 2 egg
    Great Value All Natural Apple Sauce - All Natural-No Sugar Added, 2 oz. (113 gr.)
    Great Value - Whole Blueberries, Frozen (48 0z) (3 lbs), 1 Cup
    Fisher Naturals - *Natural Sliced Almonds, 1 oz.
    Hodgson Mill - Milled Flax Seed, 2 Tbsp (13g)
    Generic - Pure Vanilla Extract, 1.5 tsp

Mix everything except blueberries really well. Carefully fold in blueberries and spread in a 8x8 baking dish. Bake at 350°F for about 35-40 min till golden on top.
    I really like it warm with some more milk but my husbands takes it to work and eats it cold like a soft granola bar/cookie.

Per Serving: calories 277 carbs 39 fat 10 protein 10 fiber 6
  • jquarequio
    jquarequio Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sarahmaedzz
    sarahmaedzz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every day, sometimes twice a day! I love it haha. I normally do 1/2 cup dry with 1 tbsp peanut butter (occasionally I'll add some blackberries to that)

For a night time snack I like to do 1/2 cup dry with 1tbsp of flavored coffee creamer. It's a nice sweet treat.
  • Annie_ga
    Options
    You are so lucky - to have to eat oatmeal!

I make mine with water and I like mine thick too - and simple. I generally do:

1/2 cup instant 1 min oats (generic)
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tsp flax
    Less than 1 cup water if I use blueberries
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries

But lately, I've been skipping the blueberries and just use 1 Tbsp. apricot preserves. Wow, is that good.

If it's too think, I splash some 1% milk in. Enjoy!
  • TastesLikeChicken
    TastesLikeChicken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am working on eliminating wheat so I make oatmeal flour in my coffee mill and use it in its place. I will make Oatmeal pancakes and we'll eat them often without any topping. They can make a pretty good breakfast food even cold.

Basic recipe would be
    2 cups oatmeal flour.
    1 cup almond milk or silk or milk
    2 eggs or go with egg whites
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    Add either a ripe banana and or blueberries and sometimes for pumpkin pancakes 1/2 can of pumpkin instead with cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.

It will be a little different at first but regular pancakes is like eating cake. I prefer my healthier alternative more now that we've adapted to it.
    Much better than anything you will eat out of a box.
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i HATE runny oatmeal, like it nice and wet but not too runny lol ... but anyway, 100g oatmeal, 40g flaxseed, 40g honey really healthy, great complex carbs, and healthy fats, cut honey too half if your trying to lose weight :)
  • AshleysFitnessPal
    Options
    if you mix 1 extra ripe banana with 1 cup of dry oats in a bowl, you can pop it in the oven on 350 for 20 mins and make cookies, oat bars for after a work out, breakfast bars. Just those 2 ingredients. There is no need to make it complicated for yourself. They are soft, tasty, good for you and simple to make.

All of those extra ingredients add a lot of calories, especially flax seeds. I sometimes add vanilla extract, cinnamon and/or raisins.
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    Sally's cereal is really good, its organic and comes in pouches.
    I usually put a banana, almond slivers, and peanut butter in mine. :)

Plus its really easy to make, you just dump the contents into a microwaveable container and fill the empty packet with water and its done in the microwave in 2 minutes! :drinker:
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Today i had oatmeal mixed with peanut butter, blackberries and kiwi.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Just curious, why do you HAVE to eat oatmeal? If you don't like it, don't eat it. That being said, I love oatmeal. Steel cut oats, cooked according to directions, add butter, brown sugar, and sliced almonds. Has a firm bite to it, not slimy or runny like other oats.
  • ellgee119
    ellgee119 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try the "Insanely good blueberry oatmeal muffins" from skinny taste!
    Or mix 1 tbsp peanut butter in instant to keep you fuller longer
  • aquaventure
    Options
    also interested in ideas.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Do you mean 3/4 cup of dry oats? or 3/4 cup of actual oatmeal after cooking? It makes a difference.

For 3/4 cup dry whole rolled oats, add 1 cup of boiling water and let it sit until the water is absorbed. Or microwave on high for about 3 min., or put it in a small saucepan and cook it 5 minutes. Then you can stir in some fruit and the protein powder and add more liquid (milk, soy beverage, almond milk, or water) to make it the consistence you like. I love it with any kind of berries, bananas, chopped apples, unsweetened applesauce, even fresh or canned peaches or pears. Dried fruits are good too but more calorie dense so I might put in a quarter cup of raisin or dates. If it cools off too much, reheat in microwave. Experiment to find what you love the most. Good luck. Ani
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I add a TBSP of peanut butter to mine.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I love steel cut oats with apple and cinnamon in the slow cooker :)
  • divid
    divid Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking my trainer means 3/4 cup of dry oats because she said I can blend it into a smoothie. I say "have" to because it's on my new meal plan..i don't dislike oats, but usually im used to making protein muffins and pancakes and I grind my oats so I was looking for new ideas. If it's my new meal plan and I have oats down twice a day I don't want to get bored that way i'm more likely to stick with it. 3/4 cup just seems like alot to blend in a smoothie so i wanted edible not drinkable ideas.
    Everything sounds great so far guys, thanks for the help!
  • LisaAvasNana
    LisaAvasNana Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    There is an AWESOME recipe that I love from Hungry Girl. It's called Apple Pie Oatmeal Bonanza. The entire recipe is 258 calories,6g fr, 364mg sodium, 44.5g carbs, 7g fiber, 8.5g sugar, 6g protein.

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
    1/2 cup chopped apple
    1 tablespoon sugar-free pancake syrup
    1 teaspoon fat-free non-dairy powdered creamer
    2 no-calorie sweetener packets
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, or more to taste
    dash salt
    1 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in a nonstick pot. Mix in 1 cup water.

Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook and stir until thick and creamy, 12 to 15 minutes.

Transfer to a medium bowl and let slightly cool and thicken. Dig in!

Makes 1 serving.

You will not believe how much you get. I was so full. You get more and its less calories than 2 packets of Quaker instant oatmeal.

Hope you enjoy!