Buying a rice cooker

Options
Hi all,

I want to buy my first rice cooker but I don't know which one's are good or bad. Does anyone have any recommendations from their own experience with one?

Thanks.

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What's the advantage of having a rice cooker?
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    that's what I always wondered.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice but am curious as well. I would like to buy one too! My friend bought one the other day and she loves hers. She puts her rice in before work and it is ready when she gets home.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cooker. You put the rice in, put the water in and let it do it's magic. Don't have to baby sit. I bought a cheap one...from Wal-mart.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've been using the same basic Westinghouse rice cooker for 20 years and it's still going strong. The benefit of owning one is that you can use it to cook all grains, not just rice. I use it for quinoa, rice, barley, steel cut oats, wheat berries etc. You just add the grain, the water (or broth) set it and forget it. So simple!!
  • QuietRain
    Options
    I can't live without my rice cooker. I'm crap at making it on the stove.
    Can't really recommend the one I have though, it tends to overcook just one cup, undercook three cups. Perfect at two though.

Probably get a better model once I'm on my own again.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    I just bought anew rice cooker the other day at Target. I cooks rice, steams veggies and other stuff, it bakes and it slow cooks, which is great for soups, plus it has a sear/simmer featureas well.. It is made by Aroma. I use it every ay sonce, and I love it.
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i have an aroma rice cooker. it is also a steamer and has other cooking functions.

look on the web site and compare models. then, look on amazon, walmart, target, etc., to compare prices. i think the one i got was $62.00 on their web site but i paid $36.00 at walmart. if you have a local bed,bath,and beyond you can use a coupon, even if it is expired.

a few days ago i gave a lady one of my 20% off coupons. she was buying a $500.00 vitamixer. boy, was she happy about the coupon!
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I love my rice cooker. I just bout a cheap one from walmart and it works fabulous.
  • Pimpmonkey
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. I never knew what the big deal is, but is sounds like a great thing to have now.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    What's the advantage of having a rice cooker?
    that's what I always wondered.

I study full time, work part time, train 4 times a week, do all my own shopping and cooking and cleaning and on top of that my caloric intake is higher than most people (my maintenance is 3200 calories a day). I honestly don't have time to cook 400-600g of rice a day on top of all my other meals.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    We have a Zojirushi rice cooker and we absolutely adore it. IMO, make sure you get a rice cooker/warmer. A normal rice cooker will just cook the rice but a warmer will allow you to make plenty and have it keep (nice and hot/warm) for 3-4 days.
  • Kashmir09
    Options
    I got mine a couple of months ago - (rice, grains, porridge, steam, slow cooking you name it) just tell it what to do and when - great for cooking stuff that would otherwise need stirring and watching. Nothing ever sticks or burns. Would not do without one now :happy:

TEFAL from amazon
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Ours is a cheap one and it works just fine. I like having it because for some reason, every time I try to cook rice on the stove, I screw it up. The rice cooker takes the guess work out of it. I don't have to lift the lid to find out if it's done or not. I know it's done when the switch flips up and the light switches over.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    I also have a Zojirushi one and I love it. I've had the same one for over 10 years now. As you can see from what others have posted, it's not just for rice. Since I got the rice cooker I have not burned anymore rice or pots. The thing is amazing.
  • smiling_sushi
    smiling_sushi Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The rice cooker I use is great. It's cheap and super easy to use - all you have to do is chuck in the rice, fill to the appropriate line with water, and press the Cook switch. There's a limit on how much rice it can cook (I believe 3 dry cups white/2 dry cups brown), but if you're just cooking for yourself, or yourself and another person, that's usually plenty.

It's on Amazon for $17: http://tinyurl.com/ckmtzbb
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from bed bath and beyond for $20. We have had it for 5 months and love it. I use it pretty often. The rice comes out perfect and I love that I can just walk away from it. It leaves me time to gook the rest of dinner. If it broke I would go out and by a new one ASAP.
  • DiannaDC
    DiannaDC Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a large Zojirushi one. I've never cooked rice on the stove...I'm Filipino, it's a necessary appliance in our house. I got one when I moved out of my parents house and then my current one from my parents as well when I got married...It's so easy and useful and one less thing you have to worry about when cooking.