Asthma runners anyone ? and or wanting to loose 20p+

Options
Hi hi, Just seeing if anyone is dealing with asthma and the steroid meds that come with it, trying to loose weight.
Also very interested in everyone trying to loose weight by running. I am going for the spring half marathon in my city in the end of April 2013. Lost some training time, going for a slow 14k run tomorrow, for the second time ever, with 8 weeks to go.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• scottdeeby
    scottdeeby Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! You rawk!

For my entire life, I thought that the wheezing sound my lungs made when I performed intense cardio was normal. Now that I have the steroid puffer stuff to treat the asthma, I've never had a more enjoyable time just breathing. And now when I shovel snow and becoming all out of breath, I anticipate the wheezing to start....doesn't happen....keep shovelling......not happening.......First time ever I've shovelled snow without an asthma attack.

I used to run half-marathon distances but I never lost weight....I get so very hungry when I do cardio that I can't help but eat back the calories. Different strokes for different folks.
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I've got exercise induced asthma that is worse when my allergies act up or when it's really cold outside. I usually don't use an inhaler because it makes my heart race. It's taken a while but I have learned how to pretty much control my breathing when I'm out on a run and I can usually keep it an attack from happening if I focus on breathing and don't get panicked. As for losing weight while training, it is possible but you really do need to watch the calorie intake. I know for me that it's really easy to say, "it'll be OK to have that extra_______, I ran this morning". Good luck on the half!! I've got one coming up at the end of March.
  • Guggz
    Guggz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you, and good news on your result with the treatment. I just love running, gives me a feeling of accomplishment. It soothes me also but at the same time I can relate on the increased appetite. I use an inhaler every morning and evening but additional I take another inhaler, Ventolin, before running and also when I do long runs I have to take it in the fourth quarter of my run, approx on min 75+. I do find that the meds also make my appetite even bigger and just generally irritable so i´m having a trouble finding the balance. If I don´t take them, I can not run properly and end up in the ER at worst, but when i do take them I want to eat more and also find it harder to sleep. Great having some insight to others experiences. Thank you.
  • Guggz
    Guggz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks Julie. I am getting more aware that I do have to count my calories. Good point.
    Like I told Scott, and as you are experiencing, I am also having troubles with the side effects of the inhalers. Having been in the ER couple of times during the last year I have come to accept that the inhalers will be a part of my life, at least until I find a solution. I am hoping that loosing weight will help to decrease the use of the inhalers since I did not have as much need for them when I was at my goal weight some years ago, even being a smoker at that time also, which I find very hard to accept. My doctor says I have to take on inhaler (seretide) morning and night, but also have the Ventolin inhaler on hand and also taking it (ventolin) before working out. I have learned the hard way to listen to this advice but I am not happy about it, giving the side affects which I hate.
    Its been extra hard this year, since I have been running in the cold, but it is getting warmer. Just did a 16k run this weekend, fingers crossed my lungs can take this training long term.