Shopping for a Lifting Program

Options
I was going to post this on my profile but wanted to make sure I could get responses from the greater MFP community. I know there are some very knowledgeable people out there and I could really use your help.

I'm shopping for a good total-body weight training program that I can do just 2 days a week for now. I still have goals I'd like to achieve this year with regards to my running and obstacle racing, so quitting cardio/running isn't an option and I must be running up to 13 miles, so keeping it short won't work either. Having said that, I'm okay with running 2-3 days a week only and keeping the running aerobic as I just need to maintain my endurance.

I just started lifting in October for the first time in about 15 years. I do know "how" to lift, mostly, so I'm confident I can master form as needed. I lift at home but have a pretty full gym, so I can set up just about whatever. In October I started with Stronglifts 5x5. I loved the simplicity of the program and the progression, but progressed to where I probably should have gone to a 3x5 program... but I got scared to do my workouts at all since the weights were just scary heavy. I ended up just kind of quitting and aiming for something more in the 6-8 rep range so I wasn't so nervous about picking up the bar.

It was a mental block.

Right now I'd like to find something that is a full body workout I can do twice a week... or a 2-day split routine.

I'm considering a modified Wendler 5/3/1 program to 2 days/week.

Any thoughts on this? I really need something not-too-complicated. I'd like to get stronger but also like the idea of building a bit more muscle. I'm eating right around maintenance for now (2300 calories daily; aiming for 140g protein)... kind of hoping to lean gain until races are done in September. I could be up for a full bulking cycle in October, but I really want to make sure I have the hang of a lifting program that is going to get the job done before I just eat an gain fat :laugh:

Anyone have any thoughts? For now, I have 7 months to kill... want to learn, get stronger, maybe a bit leaner...

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Well I dont think twice a week will make much gains but if you just want to maintain that'll be fine. You sound like you are in pretty good condition so honestly id suggest Ton'y Hortons "bring it" book. it has 3 different levels of routine (beginner, intermediate, warrior) and it shwos you the correct form (something you were concerned about) and they are great total body workouts. Youll burn tons of calories, lift heavy and your heart rate will go up.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How about New Rules of Lifting for Women. They suggest 3 days a week, but you could do 2. They are mostly full body compound lifts. I've been doing it for about a month and have seen some strength gains.

Note: The "For Women" part is the meal plan and convincing women that lifting won't make them turn into The Hulk. There are a series of "New Rules" books.

You can also look on bodybuilding.com, they have several lifting programs that are all free.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest doing a planned routine like this
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout
    It's by Brandon Campbell, who also has a YouTube page that is one of the best fitness channels on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellFitnessTV
    Instead of 4 days a week, just cycle the routine to fit 2 days a week.

If however, you could potentially more to 3 days a week I would highly recommend this routine (but the sessions last about 75-90 min, not the regular 45-60):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY6vi6ORXo
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148036063

You can of course do anything else, eg Wendler 531, PHAT, German Volume Training etc and just cycle the workouts to fit 2 days a week and pick up where you left off with pull/legs/push/pull or upper power/lower power/upper hypertrophy/lower hypertrophy etc.... Your gains will be a lot slower, but you will gain a lot of strength and experience.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I follow the Bill Phillips "Body for Life" weights program.
  • lgblack
    lgblack Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you have a local gym, you can usually buy personal training time. I buy 1 hours session a few at a time. Usually takes one paid session for him to evaluate what I am capable of doing (weight wise), then next session he provides me with a program geared to my goals and the weights that I can lift. Then I do this program for as long as I am comfortable...typically 2-3 months doing it 2-3 x/week. plus doing Zumba 2x/wk for my cardio. Then we book another session, where he provides me with a new program with increased weights and slightly different exercises to ensure my whole body is being challenged - core included. Having awesome results...and I am 53 years old :) Also, there are some private trainers that will design a program that you can do in your home. Certainly more personalized than buying something off the shelf, but not knowing what weights are right for you. I would never have tried to life the weights he has me lifting. But with proper technique, and knowing that it is designed so I am lifing 70% of my max weight that I can lift for 1 rep, I know I am not going to hurt myself. Good luck!!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    How about New Rules of Lifting for Women. They suggest 3 days a week, but you could do 2. They are mostly full body compound lifts. I've been doing it for about a month and have seen some strength gains.

Note: The "For Women" part is the meal plan and convincing women that lifting won't make them turn into The Hulk. There are a series of "New Rules" books.

You can also look on bodybuilding.com, they have several lifting programs that are all free.

New Rules definitely isn't simple once you get past the first stage.
    And requires a step & ball in addition to a barbell, plates, dumbbells, etc.

i second the bodybuilding.com
  • Grimlock69
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

NUFF said
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Someone already suggested New Rules of Lifting for Women and I second it. He says best results are with 3 days a week but you can do it 2x/week which is what I was doing and I could see, feel and notice a difference with twice a week. I don't think it's complicated and if you have access to a gym you'll have (or should have) everything you need there. I'm up to the third stage and it's in the 6-8 rep range you said you wanted.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm starting it tomorrow. Seems to be a great total-body program and takes about 30 minutes 3X per week (and they also said 2X is doable).
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

New Rules definitely isn't simple once you get past the first stage.
    And requires a step & ball in addition to a barbell, plates, dumbbells, etc.

i second the bodybuilding.com

I have the NROL4W book and felt the program was too complicated for my liking. But yeah I have a full set of Olympic bar/plates/rack... dumbells, pull-up bar, bosu ball, step, bench, TV/DVD, kettlebells... name it :laugh: ... possibly a bit of a gym equipment addict.

As an example, here's my most recent workout:

Squats 4 sets of 8 reps @ 125 lbs
    Barbell row 4 sets of 8 reps @ 75 lbs
    Straight leg Deadlifts 4 sets of 8 reps at 105 lbs
    Bench Press 4 sets of 8 reps @ 85 lbs
    Bulgarian Split Squats 4 sets of 6 reps each leg with 25 lb dumbbells
    Overhead Barbell Press 4 sets of 8 reps @ 55 lbs

... and I had to cut it short because my kid woke up from his nap early :laugh: That took me 45 minutes because I take 30 seconds rest and alternate Squats/Row, Deads/Bench etc.

Sometimes I add pull-ups/chin-ups (assisted), glute bridges (just cuz they're awesome), and biceps/triceps work for fun. But mostly I don't know what I'm doing. Still enjoying learning, but really want to find something I'm confident is hitting everything I need.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com

NUFF said

I get so lost on there! I've killed many hours... :ohwell:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind doing a bit of your own programming, this is good basic template:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine?hl=two+day+training
  • michellekicks
    Options
    If you don't mind doing a bit of your own programming, this is good basic template:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/373801-two-day-full-body-strength-training-routine?hl=two+day+training

Thank you for that :bigsmile:
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I follow the Bill Phillips "Body for Life" weights program.

I started lifting with that book and it got me hooked. I dropped mega inches on his programme. I recommend it to anyone.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options

As an example, here's my most recent workout:

Squats 4 sets of 8 reps @ 125 lbs
    Barbell row 4 sets of 8 reps @ 75 lbs
    Straight leg Deadlifts 4 sets of 8 reps at 105 lbs
    Bench Press 4 sets of 8 reps @ 85 lbs
    Bulgarian Split Squats 4 sets of 6 reps each leg with 25 lb dumbbells
    Overhead Barbell Press 4 sets of 8 reps @ 55 lbs

... and I had to cut it short because my kid woke up from his nap early :laugh: That took me 45 minutes because I take 30 seconds rest and alternate Squats/Row, Deads/Bench etc.

Sometimes I add pull-ups/chin-ups (assisted), glute bridges (just cuz they're awesome), and biceps/triceps work for fun. But mostly I don't know what I'm doing. Still enjoying learning, but really want to find something I'm confident is hitting everything I need.

^^^^^^ This twice a week, as in a whole body workout should be fine (it hits everything), it is what I use when I am doing other stuff like running and other body conditioning. I do it slightly lighter than the heavy heavy lifts to maintain, but if you are eating enough, you can go as heavy as you can I am sure.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I did a modified Wendler 5/3/1 for a while and it worked well for me. I did Squats and Overhead Presses one day, Deadlifts and benches the second. Easiest way to schedule this is to add the Big But Boring template.