Neck/traps injuries

Options
Over the past year I have suffered my third neck/trap muscle injury. After the second time I was injured I realized that my problem was that during shoulder exercises I was looking down or moving my head around thus straining my neck and causing all the pain of this injury. So since then I have been paying attention to keeping my head straight as to not have this issue again. Well, I recently suffered a similar injury again but this time to the other side of my body. This time it has added tenderness to my upper spine and to my upper arm right below my shoulder. So I am just curious what others that have experienced these types of injuries have done to prevent them from happening again. Perhaps I was using too much weight and pushing the reps out a little too fast? Not sure but would appreciate any insight on the matter that I get here. Thanx in advance for your advice

Replies

• RetroRob
    Options
    I had a similar injury doing seated barbell press behind neck, great shoulder exercise as works all three heads of the delts, I feel for you as the injury is agony.

I now avoid any exercise where the weight is behind my neck (except squats) and touch wood have been injury free.

Wish you a speedy recovery.
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had a similar injury doing seated barbell press behind neck, great shoulder exercise as works all three heads of the delts, I feel for you as the injury is agony.

I now avoid any exercise where the weight is behind my neck (except squats) and touch wood have been injury free.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanx, I don't usually do any shoulder exercise behind my head but I will keep that in mind if I ever decide to. Thanx for the advice. I certainly hope it gets better soon too, grrrrr
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You've probably already done this... but in case you haven't here are some articles *muah*

http://www.livestrong.com/article/112867-trapezius-neck-pain/

would you consider a chiro assessment? http://drnickcampos.com/health-newsletter/NeckShoulderCombo.html
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I suffered from torticollis several months ago and now having this problem on a daily basis. I've been workign with a massage therapist and it's making a big difference.