Talk to me about dairy!

Options
I've always (for no particular reason) believed that dairy is a pretty healthy thing. Drinking a glass of skim milk feels like I'm putting something good in my body. A nice modest portion of cheese is delicious! A little low fat chocolate milk as a treat can provide some great nutrients! Basically, I have always thought of dairy as healthy, but I noticed around these parts a lot of people discussing cutting back on dairy or eliminating it completely. For those with a strong opinion on this, could you please explain it to me? I'm genuinely curious and wondering if cutting back on dairy is something I should try for weight loss because I certainly enjoy a lot of it now!

Thanks!

Replies

• Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters (as long as you are not lactose intolerance). I eat lots of dairy. I think that as long as it fits your calories or macros it shouldn't matter
  • julsboy
    julsboy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take a look at "Forks Over Knives". It changed how my family and many friends look at meat and dairy. I think you can view it free on Netflix. Let me know what you think.

P.S. It's nothing like Food, Inc.! More science, no gore.
  • jimbhc1
    jimbhc1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    After eliminating dairy from my diet, I found that all my alergies went away.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with weight loss. you can drink skim or full fat milk and still lose weight, but many people lose the enzyme lactase as they age, which causes them to have issues digesting milk. this is less common in the US and Europe, as these peoples have evolved to be able to handle dairy at a better rate than those from other parts of the world. That said, many people may have a sensitivity to it and not realize it (not be completely intolerant). That's why it's an interesting test to cut it out of your diet and see if you notice any changes. If the answer is yes, you're sensitive and should probably cut back. If the answer is no, then eat/drink it as you please.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and contains Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin D, and a good mix of Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates.

I have three servings a day. Try to get enough Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin D without it. Yeah, unless you supplement, you probably won't. At 38 cents a serving, it's a nutritional and wallet bargain.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    It's delicious and contains Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin D, and a good mix of Protein, Fat and Carbohydrates.

I have three servings a day. Try to get enough Potassium, Calcium, Vitamin D without it. Yeah, unless you supplement, you probably won't. At 38 cents a serving, it's a nutritional and wallet bargain.

it's actually not hard to get those vit+min without dairy... at all...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    it has nothing to do with weight loss. you can drink skim or full fat milk and still lose weight, but many people lose the enzyme lactase as they age, which causes them to have issues digesting milk. this is less common in the US and Europe, as these peoples have evolved to be able to handle dairy at a better rate than those from other parts of the world. That said, many people may have a sensitivity to it and not realize it (not be completely intolerant). That's why it's an interesting test to cut it out of your diet and see if you notice any changes. If the answer is yes, you're sensitive and should probably cut back. If the answer is no, then eat/drink it as you please.

Possibly the first post that I've agreed with you :tongue:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, cheese, some milk, as well as goat yoghurt and hazelnut milk. Dairy has never impacted me. I find it filling, and according to a video I watched sometime ago that did a study on dairy and bodyfat, those who were having dairy, had lower bodyfat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15284374

Some have evolved to tolerate it, and some have not.
    I am European so I guess that is a large part of why I am fine with it.
    Some believe we should not be having the milk of another species and use the point that we are the only species that drinks milk in adulthood. Not true, there are numerous images around of cats and other animals drinking milk when it is offered and even suckling from another species. Just they don't have the tools as we do to obtain it.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm only going dairy free because I've been told I have a milk allergy and I need to give up all milk products. It is quite hard as dairy is in everything I like . If I had the choice I wouldn't go dairy free it seems tougher than anything else I've given up. I'm only a starter though I'm assuming it gets easier.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My favorite food used to be cheese. :cry: After my doctor had me go on an elimination diet for digestive issues, I determined that life without cheese is better. (I was never a milk drinker, except for my chocolate milk reward at the end of a marathon.) I'm not sick anymore since eliminating the casein (milk protein.)

If I didn't have to, I wouldn't eliminate it. But dairy isn't essential. Everything you get in dairy can easily be found in other food sources. Good advertising has gotten everyone used to the idea that milk is necessary. There's no need to consume it just as there's no need to eliminate it if you don't have any reason to. Do what's best for you. :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Unless you are lactose intolerant, there is nothing wrong with it, and lost right with it (ice-cream springs to mind)
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I have cottage cheese, greek yoghurt, cheese, some milk, as well as goat yoghurt and hazelnut milk. Dairy has never impacted me. I find it filling, and according to a video I watched sometime ago that did a study on dairy and bodyfat, those who were having dairy, had lower bodyfat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15284374

Some have evolved to tolerate it, and some have not.
    I am European so I guess that is a large part of why I am fine with it.
    Some believe we should not be having the milk of another species and use the point that we are the only species that drinks milk in adulthood. Not true, there are numerous images around of cats and other animals drinking milk when it is offered and even suckling from another species. Just they don't have the tools as we do to obtain it.

the last point is a silly argument, because as you yourself stated, Europeans have evolved to be able to ingest milk. that means that in our original genetic caveman state, we WEREN'T meant to ingest the milk of another species, since it took thousands of years of evolution to make that possible. many people of the world still fit this category.

ask your vet if you should feed your adult cat milk and see what they say...
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My dietary theme today is dairy. I've wanted it all day!

I've been told that skim milk is a high sugar, low nutrient food.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I totally agree, although there are plenty of foods with those nutrients, it is easier to have a glass of milk or two of milk and know you are getting a lot of nutrition. Unless you have a health reason, dairy is perfectly good for you.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    My dietary theme today is dairy. I've wanted it all day!

I've been told that skim milk is a high sugar, low nutrient food.

this is true.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    My weakness is cheese - love it!! I just have to watch the fat content and calories. Same old story - everything in moderation!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2H-ZNfhxbs

It's good for you and the cow is happy.
  • cinbea
    cinbea Posts: 19
    Options
    I just watch a documentry today on youtube called bbc how to be slim and it said that eating dairy is actually really good for you. On the documentry they showed the outcome of a Danish study that showed by eatting or drinking dairy it actually helps to carry unwanted fats by binding to them and gets them out of your body when we have a bm. I like dairy although I don't drink a lot of milk you'd have to fight with me to give up my greek yogurt :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I totally agree, although there are plenty of foods with those nutrients, it is easier to have a glass of milk or two of milk and know you are getting a lot of nutrition. Unless you have a health reason, dairy is perfectly good for you.

^^yep
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'm intolerant to the milk protein so I need to give it up. Dairy is in a lot of products , I remember someone suggesting I try and go dairy free and I chose not to because I thought it's in everything now I have no choice
    I think it will get easier but dairy seems quite complicated to give up you have to read labels a lot more you're not completely restricted from all processed foods . Cheese and chocolate are the hardest things to have to give up and pizza .

Dairy is healthy if you have it in moderation as with any foods really. Only give it up if you really want to or for health related reasons .