Working out causing too much of a deficit to eat back.

Options
I started MFP at 5'10" & 358. I lived an extremely sedentary lifestyle (office job), do nothing at home. I have a calorie goal from MFP of 2100. I used to come on a bit under, but since I have started working out and using an HRM and monitoring software (currently using digifit) my deficit has been so large that I can't comfortably eat it back.

I have pretty much trained my body to eat what feels to me to be the right amount of good food and I have been learning to recognize the "full" feeling and be finished eating. There are days that my adjusted calories for the day can be close to 1000 and I cant possibly eat that back.

I think the issue will subside in a few months when I don't need to expend as much energy when I workout, but as it is now, I am burning between 700 - 1000 calories per 1-1.5 hour gym session. Anyone in a similar situation or have any suggestions?

Thanks

Replies

• honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I think this is pretty much BS. Right, you can't possibly eat back 1,000 calories, especially when you've only eaten 1,400. I'm a woman and I eat 1,900 to lose weight.

I was just looking over your diary, and you barely eat. The days when you exercise are really alarming; many times you have over 1,000 calories left for the day. There is no way that you're not needing food. You're not recognizing a "full" feeling; you've tricked your body and mind to feel full at such a low amount. You've probably also dropped your metabolism quite a bit.

It's impossible for you to be healthy and maintain your body/health by eating so little and burning so many calories. You're setting yourself up to mess up your metabolism, hunger cues and overall health and inevitably crash and burn in the future. You simply cannot end a day with over 1,000 calories left. Think of your body as a car - can it run effectively on such low fuel? No, once it's running empty, you have to refuel. Stop ****ing with your body so much and EAT. You don't need Laughing Cow cheese and other low calorie ****; eat real, full fat foods and larger amounts of it.
  • S_Arr_Uh
    S_Arr_Uh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have about 1000 left for today (Sunday) 'cause I burned 1000+ during spinning. Usually I can eat at least 2400, meaning I'm close to netting my 1640 but today I ate just what I wanted to & haven't managed to get there. I'll probably just let myself have a bit extra tomorrow/Tuesday to make up for. The body doesn't necessarily work on a 24-hour clock. If you can't eat it today, eat it tomorrow (on top of the daily goal)
  • tommctech
    Options
    No offense, but I think this is pretty much BS. Right, you can't possibly eat back 1,000 calories, especially when you've only eaten 1,400. I'm a woman and I eat 1,900 to lose weight.......

No offense taken at all. As a matter of fact I appreciate the bluntness. You may be on to something here. The thing is even when I first started out it wasn't a hard adjustment and I was a lot more strict. If you look, I have loosened up a bit over time. He'll I was eating basically the same meal every day and it was getting tiring so I switched it up (except for the breakfast). I love my eggwhite omelette a in the morning and while it has a low caloric value, it's a sizable amount of food. I would say its enough eggs and veggies to fill a 6 inch roll. I guess I could add some meat to make it heavier.

My lunches vary wildly, but during the week they are basically all homemade. For dinner I eat meat pretty much every night with some veggies and some kind of starch or carbs. So the big thing is I am really not eating small portions, it's just that the way that I am cooking and the foods that I am eating are just not having that much of a caloric impact. So at this point that is why I am at a loss.

And I go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week. I am not doing anything too strenuous. Eliptical for around 40 minutes at an average of 3.5 to 4 mph with low resistance. I rotate body parts on machines. Idk. I feel like at this point I should probably see a nutritionist for recomendations because it is tough.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, dude - you eat like a girl. If there's such a deficit, why are you eating egg whites? Half a cup of dry cereal? Low fat this and that? Even if you just ate the "real" versions of what you eat now you'd be a lot closer to goal. You're a guy that works out hard - eat like it. Have a steak. Have some potatoes, pasta, rice. You don't necessarily need to up your quantity, but you need to up your calorie density.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Plan your days ahead of time, eat real, calorie dense food, not diet food. It's pretty easy to eat those calories back eating stuff like nuts, lean meat, avocado, full fat cheese, milk, etc. You have to eat enough or you're not going to sustain this lifestyle and you're setting yourself up to gain every bit you lose back.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Some good advice here...eat more! I would also suggest being careful when you choose from the food database. Your steak omelette came in lower in protein and calories than your egg white veggie omelette did. Regardless....eat!!! Your body needs fuel to do your workouts.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No offense, but I think this is pretty much BS. Right, you can't possibly eat back 1,000 calories, especially when you've only eaten 1,400. I'm a woman and I eat 1,900 to lose weight.......

No offense taken at all. As a matter of fact I appreciate the bluntness. You may be on to something here. The thing is even when I first started out it wasn't a hard adjustment and I was a lot more strict. If you look, I have loosened up a bit over time. He'll I was eating basically the same meal every day and it was getting tiring so I switched it up (except for the breakfast). I love my eggwhite omelette a in the morning and while it has a low caloric value, it's a sizable amount of food. I would say its enough eggs and veggies to fill a 6 inch roll. I guess I could add some meat to make it heavier.

My lunches vary wildly, but during the week they are basically all homemade. For dinner I eat meat pretty much every night with some veggies and some kind of starch or carbs. So the big thing is I am really not eating small portions, it's just that the way that I am cooking and the foods that I am eating are just not having that much of a caloric impact. So at this point that is why I am at a loss.

And I go to the gym 5 to 6 days a week. I am not doing anything too strenuous. Eliptical for around 40 minutes at an average of 3.5 to 4 mph with low resistance. I rotate body parts on machines. Idk. I feel like at this point I should probably see a nutritionist for recomendations because it is tough.

Most people on here don't, haha, so I'm glad you appreciate bluntess. :)

Here are some tips based on what you've said:

1. Eat whole eggs. It's a quick way to add more calories and nutrients without much more volume. Unless it's medically necessary to avoid whole eggs, then stop eating just whites! You'll easily add 100+ calories depending on how many eggs you eat.

2. Unless you really love them, stop with the Sandwich Thins! Buy whole grain breads between 70-100 calories per slice. It adds more calories, bulk and it tastes better. Add things like avocado, hummus, full fat cheeses, lean meats, etc. All healthy things.

3. Add more healthy fats to your meals (olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters/nuts, aforementioned avocado, etc). They add calories without having to actually eat much more.

4. Ditch the Special K and switch to heartier cereals like oatmeal, muesli or granola. If you like oatmeal, add fruit (like bananas), cinnamon and peanut butter. Carbs, whole grains, protein and fat all right there. Special K is just filler, and you don't even eat a full portion.

5. Remember that low calorie/low fat =/= healthy.

6. If you're burning calories, especially a high amount, you need to eat them back. That doesn't mean stuffing your face to your heart's delight, but being smart about it and making sure you're properly fueling your body. Once you start eating more, your body will readjust and your hunger cues will come back. Just please try to eat more, especially on days when you exercise.

I also second you seeing a nutritionist.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Plan your days ahead of time, eat real, calorie dense food, not diet food. It's pretty easy to eat those calories back eating stuff like nuts, lean meat, avocado, full fat cheese, milk, etc. You have to eat enough or you're not going to sustain this lifestyle and you're setting yourself up to gain every bit you lose back.
    I had the same problem starting out! You have to plan to eat ahead of your workouts. I had to start eating a 500 calorie Breafast/lunch/ dinner each with another 700-800 calories as snacks
    protein shake and yogurt for morning snack. fruit maybe another protein shake for afternoon snack. I eat all the time. I have a post dinner snack Protein bar and casein protein before bed. Just have to plan it out better....pretty soon its 2nd nature.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options
    I almost agree with the above advice. But since you are so high in weight, you really need a dietician and doctor on your side. This is outside (most of our) experiences.

There are people here who have lost 100-250 pounds. Seek them out. Go to "Groups" by clicking "groups" in the blue toolbar above. In Groups, type in "300 pounds" or, something similar in the Search field....there are Groups here who specifically deal with your special issues. With so much to lose, you can create a larger deficit than the rest of us.

Maybe start a thread "Need to lose XXX amount of weight, need support" - some of the biggest losers will come to your aid.

Good Luck. Welcome to the site :flowerforyou:
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some snacks...
    A.M.- String cheese and 100 calories of nuts- 180 calories
    Mid Day- 1 Cup of Greek Yogurt with fruit- 170 calories
    P.M.- Protein Bar- 160-200 Calories depending on kind and Brand

That will get you about 500 calories closer. Also adding some calorie dense foods like avocado or nuts to food helps. Add pecans, sunflower seeds or some other nuts to a salad. Put Avacado on your grilled chicken breast or add to your salad. Eat some nut butters like peanut butter or almond butter- 1 TBLS is 190 cals and can be eaten with fruit like apple slices or on celery sticks. You can still eat the healthy foods you want but add some more calories.

Good Luck!
  • tommctech
    Options
    I almost agree with the above advice. But since you are so high in weight, you really need a dietician and doctor on your side. This is outside (most of our) experiences.

There are people here who have lost 100-250 pounds. Seek them out. Go to "Groups" by clicking "groups" in the blue toolbar above. In Groups, type in "300 pounds" or, something similar in the Search field....there are Groups here who specifically deal with your special issues. With so much to lose, you can create a larger deficit than the rest of us.

Maybe start a thread "Need to lose XXX amount of weight, need support" - some of the biggest losers will come to your aid.

Good Luck. Welcome to the site :flowerforyou:

I am going to make an appointment this week with my doctor for a referral. I think it is better to know for sure and have it mapped out better. I have always been a self starter and heavy researcher (its in my nature) and thought that I would be able to just jump into this and figure it out. As time goes on I am beginning to see that there are so many aspects to this than I am able to SAFELY handle. This is the point I think I am going to get some professional help :). I am also going to look into the groups because while we are l trying to lose, it's always good to find people that are in a similar situation to you.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. This is the reason I decided to join a "community" rather than going it alone! You guys and gals are great.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options
    Check out the weight loss ticker in the post just above yours...she lost 118 pounds....send her a personal message. And anytime you see another weight loss ticker that has a huge success like hers, send them a personal message.'

To send a message, just click her user name under her picture. You will be taken to her profile page where there will be a button to "Send Message."

You've got this.