Can't stop late-night snacking!

Options
I do well all day long and then when the sun goes down, I get the munchies. I have recently gained 3 pounds back too. I'm really bummed about it, which I think makes me want to snack even more (a.k.a. emotional eater). I keep drinking my water too, which usually helps curb my appetite or try to opt for healthier snacks like fruits, or even drink a diet coke when I crave the sweets, but even after that, I find myself reaching for popcorn, chips, or chex mix - the salty stuff. HELP! Any suggestions??

Replies

• RMX82
    RMX82 Posts: 172
    Options
    Sorry, I have no suggestions because I am guilty of the same exact thing. I do great all day then it all goes to hell in the evening.
  • care1221
    care1221 Posts: 27
    Options
    if your awake at night to snack u can workout instead!! tons of water and will power!! u can do it!!! lol brushing your teeth is a great idea!
  • Innerglow
    Innerglow Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    put the chips down, NOW!

Seriously though, I'm guilty most of the time. As a matter of fact, i've been good and i'm going to eat a skinny cow :love: chocolate truffle bar right now. I feel like I should feel guilty but it's only 100 calories.

If you know you like to snack in the evening you may want to try planning ahead and make sure you're extra good during the day so you can have your snacks at night without feeling guilty:smokin:
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am a late night snacker too! A few psychological tricks that work for me are:

1) count my calories. Yes, I know that's why we are all here on MFP but it really does work, when I see that I have no calories left for the day that somehow gives me the courage to make it through. But when that isn't so easy I.....

2) drink flavored carbonated drinks. I know they aren't healthy, but I keep a supply of 1 liter bottles of fruit flavored carbonated drinks sweetened with splenda. I don't know why a glass or two will fill me up, but it does.

3) I brush my teeth. I just can't stand to eat anything once I do that!

Good luck!!
  • TubOlard
    TubOlard Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eeek! Don't think I would ever go to sleep if I worked out late at night. I have enough trouble sleeping as it is!
  • sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm a serious nighttime snacker, so I totally feel your pain. What I do is this: First, get rid of as many snacks as you can (If you don't live alone, this is harder to do). If the food isn't in the house, you can't eat it! Second, buy vegetables! I really love baby carrots for late night snacking because they're crunchy and satisfying but you can eat a whole bag and it's only about 150 calories (and trust me, it takes about an hour to eat all those carrots!) Find a veggie you love (or more than one!) and snack away!
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could give up my snacks in the evening. I really like to eat every few hours. I do like the salty snacks but I'll eat fruit and vegi's 1st. If I'm still hungry for some junk I'll give in and have a serving.
  • bambi5014
    bambi5014 Posts: 79
    Options
    if your awake at night to snack u can workout instead!! tons of water and will power!! u can do it!!! lol brushing your teeth is a great idea!

Thanks, I suppose that is true, but I am a busy mom of 3 little ones, so I tend to do my workouts in the morning, when I have the most energy. Plus, I live in South TX, right on the Gulf, so I deal with heat indexes of 110 with 100% humidity daily. I either jog, walk, or workout in my garage (I have my own little home gym out there) Its too damn hot to work out at night! LOL But you made me realize something... in the winter months I would work out after the kids were in bed, and burn off any additional calories I would need to in order to make my goals and that is when I was losing the most. I guess I need to stop making excuses and just do it!
  • missygal
    missygal Posts: 60
    Options
    I have the same problem! I feel like I have also gained some of my weight back too. Thanks for the advice wish I had some...
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Stop buying the chips and the popcorn and the chexmix. If it's not in the house, you wont eat it.
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    they have 100 calorie popcorn if you must:wink: grab a piece of gum, diet cherry soda or a yogurt. hope this helps Valerie
  • yentess
    yentess Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Try chewing gum. Orbit tastes great and is dentist recommended. It also satisfies my sweet tooth!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Plan a after dinner snack as part of your plan. I love air popped popcorn.

brush you teeth

and sometimes if I really have it bad I just go to bed!
  • kimberleighdiane
    Options
    I do have one suggestion
    cucumber
    1 cucumber
    1/2 lemon juiced
    1 tsp salt
    toss together and keep in the fridge.
    ... if you like salt as much as I do add a tsp to every whole cucumber. One of my friends that lost 60 lbs said that her doc. told her to eat as much cucumber as she wanted\ and still be heathy and loss weight.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I like snacking at night, and I don't personally have any trouble losing weight when i do eat at night on a regular basis - I am someone whose natural eating pattern is to eat light in the morning and heavier at night... (I tend to stay up late) The trick is to save some calories (or earn them through exercise) for a healthy night-time snack - some of my favorites are lower-sodium cottage cheese, cucumbers w/vinegar, fresh fruit, homemade smoothies (skim milk, various fruits), and single-serving light popcorn is pretty good too -- lots of fiber! I've found that snacking on things like this leave me feeling much better than if I binge on high carb items like chips, bread, etc. Unfortunately it's just a matter of developing personal discipline to be able to have a small snack and stop.

If I don't have the calories left then I drink hot tea - green tea and chai are my favorites. For me, hot drinks feel more filling than just drinking water, but if you can drink the tea without sugar or milk (which I do), then they're pretty much zero calories.
  • bambi5014
    Options
    Stop buying the chips and the popcorn and the chexmix. If it's not in the house, you wont eat it.

I have small children though, and although they eat pretty healthy meals and snacks, its not only more economical, but easy to give them pre-packaged goodies, especially during the summer months. Besides the popcorn is the 100 calorie packs, and chex mix is cereal and pretzels! The chips will have to go though (even though they are the 1 oz. BAKED bags). That is definitely a good idea. I have learned to hide those snacks and usually out of sight - out of mind does the trick, but just not lately. I don't know, but you are right, and thanks for the tip! C:
  • bambi5014
    Options
    Thanks all! I love the gum, and brushing your teeth ideas! Very true that when you have a clean mouth, you usually tend to want to keep it that way. I also used to drink hot herbal teas in the winter with a little splenda, and that used to do the trick at night, but its summer and again, VERY HOT where I live, so I think freshening the breath, I will definitely try, as well as the cucumbers (a very cold snack)... I eat cucumbers during the day on salads, etc, so maybe I will try those recipes and save that snack for the late-night munch attacks.
  • pnwcowboy
    pnwcowboy Posts: 8
    Options
    if u gained 3 +pounds over night its probably cause ur allergic to that food its impossible to gain that much weight in 1 night just snacking :wink: And spread ur calorie intake out to compensate ur evening cravings then ur not cheating lol but by far the best advice ive seen is dont buy it !!! lol hope this helps:smile:
  • rs1177
    rs1177 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    HI,
    I use to be the same way, I dont find it so bad now, weekends are my weekness.....but you can try the teeth whitening strips in the night, you can't have something to eat then, and your getting whiter teeth at the same time! lol....I always keep 50 calories to have lite hot choclate in the night cause I do have a craving for sweets. It is best to try to get through it, I sometimes just go to bed and read. You will feel better when you get up the next day if you dont give in the night before. And your probably not hungry if you had a good supper....I'm an emotional eater too, I struggle so much with eating when I'm not actually hungry....I will always struggle with this...you just have to try to plan for things to occupy yourself in the night if you know that is your week time...like I said weekends are my toughest, so I feel like an idoit here telling you what to do , when I just over indulge on the weekends! We'll get through it, don't be so hard on yourself! Even if you try to not eat like 2 nights a week, then after you get that down add another day. Then aim for 5 days, and allow yourself the other 2 nights to have something...that might work!

Good luck!
  • care1221
    care1221 Posts: 27
    Options
    omg yeah thats way to hot lol ur gonna laugh but i live in michgan yucky weather lol but this week we have had 80 degree weather and my central air is on already!! im just very determined to lose the weight !! working out at night is not for everyone but im a night owl!!! and i can sleep whenever(guess im lucky like that) 3 babies thats a workout in its self!! keep being positive eat healthy snacks at least if ur gonna eat them at night!!