Opinions on Aldi?

Options

Replies

• Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My wife and I shop there weekly. We get almost all of our staple items there. I really can't think of anything I bought there that wasn't good.
  • k_diddly
    k_diddly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wanted to mention the horse meat, but someone above did well....I'll just add this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/09/aldi-100-percent-horsemeat-beef-products
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    On my last visit to Aldi I saw an Elliptical machine for $200. They really do have everything these days!
  • KeriMarie77
    Options
    We LOVE Aldi! And our local store is expanding and will be focusing on organics!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I like their produce and frozen foods. They have good rice and pasta and they have hormone free milk for less than Sam's prices. I also bought my food scale and kettle bells there in Jan. of 2012. My husband finally found a French dressing there that he really likes so I buy three bottles at a time.
    They also pay their entry level cashiers better than the other businesses in this town of ~63,000 and they allow them to sit at the register.
  • Ramberta
    Options
    Wanted to mention the horse meat, but someone above did well....I'll just add this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/feb/09/aldi-100-percent-horsemeat-beef-products

That's pretty gross. But I normally don't buy beef from them anyway... I get the frozen chicken breasts and I'm set. I'm not into red meat of any kind, especially the kind that is secretly horse!
  • Ramberta
    Options

They also pay their entry level cashiers better than the other businesses in this town of ~63,000 and they allow them to sit at the register.

True, but those cashiers also have to do all the stocking and cleaning / upkeep of the store, if I'm not mistaken. No one is "just" a cashier, which is why the entry level pay is so high. Still, I'd have rather worked there than my eight month stint at Meijer.
  • Tammyrph
    Tammyrph Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    We have used Aldi for years. Around here there is also fresh(er) veggies and meats as well as many frozen. We combine shopping at Costco and Aldi. I do like that they carry the Fit and Active line which is lower fats. We like to buy the frozen chicken breasts at Costco though. Costco is only a few pennies more overall and the chicken breasts are much more same sized. Otherwise Aldi has been good to us. (chicago area)
  • alpha642
    alpha642 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like ALDI, but the next store is over 1 h drive. But if I go that direction I make an effort to stop by.
  • SCsexy1
    SCsexy1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    LOVE it!!!
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi. I usually shop their on Sunday and buy whatever produce is on sale, and then again later in the week so I can replace it. Here their baby carrot bags are always 99 cents and their milk has been 1.69 for a while. They have great prices. I would probably buy other things too but I'm a couponer so I can usually get better prices with coupons at other stores. Definitely check it out and bring a quarter and your own bags, as you'll need to rent a cart and either buy bags, use a free box or bring your own.
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Best produce sales ever...and if you're not happy with the quality, you can always price match at Wal-Mart.
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Definitely lower prices than almost anywhere else. I could give you a really long description of why (I had to go to a business presentation from one of their regional managers about how they keep costs low for one of my classes), but I doubt you care ;)

They have a smaller selection, and almost everything is off-brand, but everything I've tried has been just as good if not better than the brands I'm used to!
  • prettyblu
    Options
    I LOVE Aldi! You should definitely check it out.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    love aldis! Cheap, good quality off brand food and good selection of things
  • xjackie83
    xjackie83 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I try to be very careful about what I buy there. I really like those cut up fruit cups in juice. I bought some from Aldi's and when I looked at the packaging it said, "Made In China". I'm just not comfortable with eating fruit from China. :-/
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love love love Aldi!
    I would recommend that you go in just to take a look at everything and maybe buy one or two things each time, so you get to try them out and figure which products you like. There are also Aldi dedicated facebook groups that are great for finding out about different products.
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    I love aldi!!! I go there all the time especially for fresh produce. They are based out of Germany, so a lot of times, you'll see German products in there which is actually really cool! They have really great deals on everything really, and they are so cheap!! I definitely say go for it! I love it! :)
  • I LOVE ALDI'S THIER BREADS ARE EXCELLENT, THEY HAVE GREAT PROTIEN BAR AND THE FIT ACTIVE BRANDS ARE GREAT. THEY HAVE GREAT PRICES ON FRUITS AND THEIR MEATS ARE GREAT AND FRESH !
  • chatondoux
    Options
    We have an aldi's within proabbly a 20 min drive but I've never been to it. Personally I take all my ads and price match everything at walmart. Everything usually at least half of my haul is pricematched haha. But of course with aldi's a lot of their stuff is their brand so :P I used to shop at like 3 or 4 different stores for sales but price matching everything at walmart is so much easier it's the only place I go anymore really unless I'm just grabbing 1 or 2 things and I don't want to traverse around their whole store but hey I need the exercise so it's a bonus for me :P