Sorry if this is a stupid question

Options
But when MFP gives you a certain amount of calories and you exercise, do you eat back those calories because you're already at a deficit?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found a similar post with good answers!

Replies

• HungryKoala
    Options
    I never thought of it- I've just been allowing the deficit.. but 7lbs in only a few days lost... imma keep doin it that way.
  • BlackJack96
    BlackJack96 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a simple function of math and will power that's easier said that done unfortunately.

If you put in less calories than you expend you will lose weight. However, there as point where if your net caloric intake for the day is less than the basic body needs your body goes into starvation mode and that can be detrimental. Most people feel you need to net about 1200 to not enter starvation mode.

I would say as long as your net is above 1200 (intake minus extra exercise) you do not have to eat back the calories. For me I set a modest goal (1 pound a week and I said I'm a couch potato). However, I have weeks where I burn more cals when at work I'm running around (I have a fit bit) or days when I've worked out. What I usually do not eat the extra calories (I have 2000 cals a day so I'd need to work out a lot to go below 1200.