Serequel and weight gain/loss

Options
ts1717
ts1717 Posts: 101 Member
Ok the white elephant out of the bag. Going to have to take 200 mgs from 50. Anyone had experience where they did NOT gain weight?

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I've not been on Seroquel, unfortunately, so I can't give you answer for that. But you might check out CrazyMeds.com. I go there all the time to see what people's experiences have been the various psychiatric meds I'm on.

Here's the forums - you can scroll down to find each section is broken down by class of meds and particular med.

http://www.crazymeds.us/CrazyTalk/
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Ok the white elephant out of the bag. Going to have to take 200 mgs from 50. Anyone had experience where they did NOT gain weight?

I've been on 50mg of Seroquel for quite some time. My weight gain comes from the incredible munchies I get at bedtime after I take it (along with my Lunesta). I swear I could eat anything you put in front of my face! But a few weeks ago I decided to give up gluten, just for the fun of it. And you know what? I didn't get the munchies! I don't know why or how this happened, but something happened. Now I'm sure we all react different to meds and foods, but this may be worth a try.

But I have to add a disclaimer: last night I was having a little trouble getting to sleep so I took an extra 50mg (doctor approved, mind you), and I ate like a freaking horse. I didn't even bother logging everything I ate because I went WAY over my calories, carbs, fats, etc. Needless to say, I woke up today feeling like crap. Oh well, it's a new day. Back on that horse that I ate like last night!
  • ts1717
    Options
    I have read lots. It has been the reason I have not been willing to increase the dosage....oh well. Life issues have won so Ill be at 200 mgs in two weeks. I am training for an ironman and counting calories. I guess diligence will be my middle names.
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You can overcome the meds! Don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. I find that when I simply take my meds as prescribed, and then put them out of my mind (don't dwell on the side effects) I can get a lot accomplished. Mind over matter DOES matter. Keep up the good work!
  • ts1717
    Options
    Thanks! You too!!!!
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Take the meds friend.... its a lot better than the alternative. Take it, and go straight to bed so the cabinets dont need to be locked.
    I know how you feel, my dose is higher than yours.... and going straight to bed was the only answer for me!
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    I've been on seroquel ranging from 100-300 mgs for the last 3 years. I have not gained any weight.

My experience with seroquel was weird. I was on it back in 2006 at 150mgs and did gain weight and was taken off it and put on geodon and lost the weight. I am still on Geodon, but had to go back on seroquel for sleep and I haven't gained any weight from it.

This is how I take my seroquel though. I take zonegran at night for migraines. I take my geodon at 5 since it needs to be taken with food. Around 8pm, I take my seroquel and zonegran and get in bed with my kindle with a really good book and read till i get sleepy. Then I turn the lights out and go to bed. If I happen to get hungry after taking it, I will eat greek yogurt.

I'm MOSTLY on seroquel for sleep, so if I eat anything heavy after I take it, I have some seriously bizarre dreams