I need SOMEONE to hold me accountable!!

Options
I need someone to help me on my journey! I have all sorts of people who say "they will do it with me" and drop off after a week. I want someone to call me out when I'm not loosing weight! Something! Help : /

Replies

• Starbuck2020
    Starbuck2020 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The only thing that worked for me was to get really really fed up with failing. I had to realize that the only person that could change my life was me and if I wasn't doing it...it wasn't going to happen. I started to feel like a broken record always saying "I'm going to lose this weight. I'm going to get in shape". One day the words were about to leave my lips again and I just couldn't say it. I was tired of talking the talk. So I went outside and started running. I put down all the bad food and didn't think about it anymore. I haven't muttered a word about losing weight to my family since and for the first time I am actually succeeding.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You are an adult. No one else can hold you accountable.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Find someone to go all 50 shades of grey on you when you don't follow the plan?
  • TheMattyExperiment
    TheMattyExperiment Posts: 178 Member
    Options

^lol true, but not constructive.

I know what it's like to have no one else to help you along the way, feel free to add me as I'm on here logging everyday. I don't believe in scolding ppl for not keeping on track but I do prefer to inspire or somewhat motivate others instead.
  • copelvb
    Options
    the first question is why havn't you lost weight and how long have you been trying? What are your plans to get there?
  • walker721
    Options
    Hi KRedcuced! I did this a few years ago, and sorta did well. But fell off the wagon and no one was there to push be back on. So I know where you are coming from. Yes I will take you on and push you if you push me. I am a mom of a 12 year old and need help too! Thanks, Walker721. Let me know. Yes I am an adult, but would like to help of another to talk to about this and life! :wink:
  • ituggle
    Options
    While I agree with accountablity and that it is better if you have a buddy system, I also agree with the other two ladies. No one can do it for you. For me I had to realize that I gained it on my own so I have to lose it on my own. Ask yourself how bad do you want it and what are you willing to sacrifice to get it? I have been overweight all my life, so this is a life style change and I take it one day, one meal, at a time. And I am trying really hard not to beat myself up if I mess up along the way. Even if someone were to hold you accountable, what do you want them to do? People have lives of their own, and are motivated by different things. In my opinion an accountability partner will only point out the negatives, like when you have that donut or miss a work out. Again this is a lifestyle change, focus on the journey rather than the pounds and you will be much healthier and loss more in the long run. BTW committing to logging your food and exercise weekly is the best accountability partner ever!
  • amye004
    Options
    I need someone to help me on my journey! I have all sorts of people who say "they will do it with me" and drop off after a week. I want someone to call me out when I'm not loosing weight! Something! Help : /

What do you mean someone to call you out when you're not losing weight? Not eating within your range? Not exercising? Make different food choices? You've admitted that you need the support which is important thing to know about yourself, now I think you need to be specific in what you are looking for and then search for those people/groups.
  • annabella5188
    annabella5188 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been back on here for some time now. Feel free to add me as well, I'll give you a helping push when you need it. :) I bought a Fitbit One to help give me the push and I hooked it up with MFP. I love it. I have 35 pounds to go and am 6 weeks into a 10K program and also lifting, although I haven't found the right lifting program for me yet... :(
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're not losing weight.
  • chatondoux
    Options
    In all complete honesty you have to do it for yourself, you have to want it for yourself. You have to hit rock bottom to the point where you can't take it any longer and work your way up from there. If you're looking for someone to comment on your diary and give advice or a gentle shove you can add me, or if you want me to be more direct and abusive I can do that too LOL but everyone has their pitfalls and I don't want to go off on a tyrade at someone just for having a bad day :P

I did let afew bad days become weeks and months of bad days but I'm back on the right track now and I'm not looking back :) But I'll be here for you if you need someone but you do need to force yourself to do it also, someone else can do all the world yelling at you but in the end it's up to you and your choices. Dreams become reality one choice at a time, it's not an overnight quick fix, but if you hang in there you can make it I promise.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Find someone to go all 50 shades of grey on you when you don't follow the plan?

I think that'd motivate me to NOT follow the plan... haha.

Make friends on here, log HONESTLY your food and exercise and get involved in the various challenges floating around the boards.
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you want a friend to hold you accountable, you first need to realize that you're the only one who can lose weight, not move or gain weight. I can help you if you want me to but, I'm not going to "call you out" when you aren't losing weight. I want a friend who is responsible for their life decisions and can hold themselves accountable with just being honest with me, their friends and themselves. You can do this all on your own, you don't NEED someone to hold you accountable. You need a friend who can be there for you while helping themselves as well.
    Add me if you get a chance.
  • Rodamort
    Rodamort Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Feel free to send me a friend request. I log everyday and try to comment and encourage as much as possible. I've got about the same # of lbs to lose as you do. But be forewarned, I've got a head start and have been doing this straight 200+ days and have already dropped well over 80 lbs. You up for a challenge? Friend request to me means "challenge accepted". If you're serious, don't be one of those individuals you were talking about that drops after a week. That is the only way you will succeed! This is a long process. Remember you didn't gain the weight overnight, you aren't going to lose it overnight either. Either way, if you accept my challenge or not, good luck to you! It is possible!!!
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Alright all, I was just looking for someone who would understand what I'm going through. I'm not trying to be a complainer, but I just don't feel like I have a good grasp as to what I am doing. Having more friends who log in everyday is helpful for me to see because it motivates me. I'm not looking for someone to be crabby at me and tell me I am an adult. Apparently I was unclear about what I was looking for, but it really just comes down to helpful/successful friends on here.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Alright all, I was just looking for someone who would understand what I'm going through. I'm not trying to be a complainer, but I just don't feel like I have a good grasp as to what I am doing. Having more friends who log in everyday is helpful for me to see because it motivates me. I'm not looking for someone to be crabby at me and tell me I am an adult. Apparently I was unclear about what I was looking for, but it really just comes down to helpful/successful friends on here.

See now this sounds different than your OP. If you want helpful friends, read the forums, especially success stories, and find people that inspire you. Send them a friend request with a note explaining that you want friends who are successfully losing.

We all understand what you're going through. Many of us went through that time of not exactly knowing what will work or what to do. All successful losers have learned that the person you need to look to for motivation is your nearest mirror.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options

I know what it's like to have no one else to help you along the way, feel free to add me as I'm on here logging everyday. I don't believe in scolding ppl for not keeping on track but I do prefer to inspire or somewhat motivate others instead.

I agree with both parts of your sentiment which is why I quoted the quote of the quoted quote (?!?!?!). Plus: This is the "Motivation and Support" Forum; things posted in here are specifically asking for a little lovin'.

You are an adult and should hold yourself accountable, BUT that is what this site is for too. Most people got here for not holding themself accountable, and it isn't necessary here per se. Logging each and every bit of food that enters your body gives you just a bit of stress that pushes you to eat better and within your allowed calories. Logging for us to see is your accountability. We are not really doing anything, but knowing that we can see what you are doing makes you want to do things differently. Yes. You are the one putting food in your mouth. Yes. You are the one that has to get off the couch. BUT we will be here encouraging you and pushing you forward!! We cannot make you succeed, but we can sure as heck support you. The successes are yours, alone.

Congrats on the decision to join! Welcome to the community.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    You're not losing weight.

That'll do the trick :laugh:
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options

I agree with both parts of your sentiment which is why I quoted the quote of the quoted quote (?!?!?!). Plus: This is the "Motivation and Support" Forum; things posted in here are specifically asking for a little lovin'.

You are an adult and should hold yourself accountable, BUT that is what this site is for too. Most people got here for not holding themself accountable, and it isn't necessary here per se. Logging each and every bit of food that enters your body gives you just a bit of stress that pushes you to eat better and within your allowed calories. Logging for us to see is your accountability. We are not really doing anything, but knowing that we can see what you are doing makes you want to do things differently. Yes. You are the one putting food in your mouth. Yes. You are the one that has to get off the couch. BUT we will be here encouraging you and pushing you forward!! We cannot make you succeed, but we can sure as heck support you. The successes are yours, alone.

Congrats on the decision to join! Welcome to the community.

You are most likely to do what you need to do if you know your friend will be able to see your progress. So in the long run, you might not need someone to hold you accountable because you will feel pressured to do it.
    It's a twisted way of wanting to be accepted; but it works, and that is why we are a community.