Really need help with breathing issues during jogging...

Options
I don't know why this happens to me. It is only when jogging, but I get this feeling of needing to take a deep breath, and I can't. I end up having to yawn to get my lungs filled to where they need to be, and then a few minutes pass and it happens again. It feels like you are holding your breath, and you are 10 seconds from gasping, and then when you finally get that breath (when I yawn) you get the relief. I tried to breathe in through my nose and out my mouth, but it didn't help. How can I prevent this? It is inhibiting my ability to keep my exercise routine at a high impact. Thanks!

Replies

• lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    When you are just standing around, practice breathing from your tummy. Relax your shoulders, and push your stomach muscles out as you breath in (WITHOUT LIFTING YOUR SHOULDERS OR CHEST!). This forces the diaphragm down and the lungs fill down rather than up. Practice this while you are NOT running, and once it's comfortable, THEN add it to your running.

The biggest problem people have when they breath is that they only use the top 1/3 of their lungs. Which is fine for everyday activity. But when you do things that require lots of air (running, exercising in general, singing, playing an instrument, etc), you need to utilize ALL of your lungs. If you are holding your stomach muscles in while you run, you are making it impossible for your lungs to expand fully. When you yawn, you are probably also relaxing those abs and allowing full expansion.

I am a band and choir teacher, so I have a BUNCH of breathing exercises if you want any other suggestions.

(This is just my opinion in the matter. If it becomes a bigger problem, you will want to talk with a doctor. They know a lot more about breating than I do!)
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little like Asthma...pls check with your doc.
    I have to use an inhaler & IT CHANGE MY ENTIRE WORKOUT
  • JandCsMommy
    JandCsMommy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When you are just standing around, practice breathing from your tummy. Relax your shoulders, and push your stomach muscles out as you breath in (WITHOUT LIFTING YOUR SHOULDERS OR CHEST!). This forces the diaphragm down and the lungs fill down rather than up. Practice this while you are NOT running, and once it's comfortable, THEN add it to your running.

The biggest problem people have when they breath is that they only use the top 1/3 of their lungs. Which is fine for everyday activity. But when you do things that require lots of air (running, exercising in general, singing, playing an instrument, etc), you need to utilize ALL of your lungs. If you are holding your stomach muscles in while you run, you are making it impossible for your lungs to expand fully. When you yawn, you are probably also relaxing those abs and allowing full expansion.

I am a band and choir teacher, so I have a BUNCH of breathing exercises if you want any other suggestions.

(This is just my opinion in the matter. If it becomes a bigger problem, you will want to talk with a doctor. They know a lot more about breating than I do!)

Thank you! I will try this.
  • JandCsMommy
    JandCsMommy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sounds a little like Asthma...pls check with your doc.
    I have to use an inhaler & IT CHANGE MY ENTIRE WORKOUT

I was wondering about that possibility, but I don't get so bad that I can't stop and catch my breath. I always can, but it interrupts my workout. I need to figure out a way to prevent me from getting to the point that I need a deep breath. Thanks!