What's a good program to start with?

Options
Ok so as embarrassing as this is... I can't even do 1 push-up.... I have no muscle mass what so ever when it comes to my arms so I'm looking for a workout program that will start you off easy. Anything on YouTube or DVD's that you use? Any help is appreciated! Thanks(:

Replies

• QueenChacon
    Options
    Oh, this is hard. I would start by just doing one push up or do the girly ones, where you can use your knees bended. Eventually, you will gain the ability to do them.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Start with 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. I have her to thank for quite a few fitness milestones for me! She helps build you up to things and offers beginner modifications for all her moves.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I really like the Nike+Kinect. I could barely do a single push-up when I started. Now, I can do multiples (still hard but getting easier) and can plank a good while, etc. If you have access to an Xbox/Kinect, I highly recommend it.
  • TheMattyExperiment
    TheMattyExperiment Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It depends what you're willing to do... you can start by only doing the lowering motion (negatives) of the push-up for awhile until you build enough strength from that to do a full range of motion push-up.

I'll be honest though, everyone should be lifting weights... It's king for fat loss/toning. Contrary to belief it is not easy to get super big and buff while lifting weights and it is even more difficult for women. If you have a gym pass I suggest you start learning the Big 3 movements: Chest Press, Squat, and Deadlift... as long as there are no injuries or limitations against doing the movements. You will not get huge on these exercises but you will gain more muscle which will speed up your metabolism, get you leaner/toned, stronger, and healthier so long as the movements are performed in a perfect fashion.

Good luck :)
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There is a channel on youtube called befit. It lets you view the first section of their fitness dvds in hopes you'll buy it.
    They have week 1 of 30day shred on it.

There are websites for like 100 pushup challenge, pullup challenge, couch to 5 k, etc.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Ok so as embarrassing as this is... I can't even do 1 push-up.... I have no muscle mass what so ever when it comes to my arms so I'm looking for a workout program that will start you off easy. Anything on YouTube or DVD's that you use? Any help is appreciated! Thanks(:

Try incline push ups (links attached). You can start using a sturdy table or your kitchen counter at the beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0bRiVhnO8Q

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/BWInclinePushup.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/537593-what-do-decline-and-incline-pushups-work-on/

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/03/02/push-up-variations-exercise/
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Youtube a video called "100 pushups, from zero". He will explain exactly how to go from doing zero push ups to 100.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    If you want videos, try this YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BeFitin90

It's a 90-day program, I think it's pretty good, and if you don't like it, you've wasted exactly zero dollars on it!
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    There is a channel on youtube called befit. It lets you view the first section of their fitness dvds in hopes you'll buy it.
    They have week 1 of 30day shred on it.

There are websites for like 100 pushup challenge, pullup challenge, couch to 5 k, etc.

They also have a lot of Denise Austin videos. If you don't mind her chipper attitude she's a great person to start with.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    i recommend 30 Day Shred. It is only 20 minutes a day, but you have to do it every day. Even if you are sore at first- EVERY DAY! There are modified moves for most everything on the DVD to make it easier or harder. I was very inactive for about 4 years after having my daughters (aside from running after them). I started with 30 Day Shred and in the beginning I could only do girly push-ups and getting to the end of a quick set of jumping jacks was not easy. By the end of it I could do real push-ups and jumping jacks were easy. I lost 15 pounds with 30DS. I ate calories as suggested by MFP including eating back workout calories.

Seeing how it's like $8 on amazon you really have nothing to lose.
  • StephTanis
    StephTanis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Start with 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels. I have her to thank for quite a few fitness milestones for me! She helps build you up to things and offers beginner modifications for all her moves.

^^ this! 30 day shred is excellent for beginning. It also about 27 minutes for the first set (look on YouTube) so it isn't daunting to begin with too long of a workout.
  • MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    hasfit.com has a good 30 day program for beginners :) I love the videos and don't find the two coaches annoying at all.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    30 Day Shred all the way! It was my first DVD workout. Great results in only 20 minutes!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options

This definitely. It will seem impossible at first, especially trying to do it the second and third days when you're crazy sore, but stick with it! It's so worth it.
  • dconnolly818
    dconnolly818 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters who mentioned the 100 push up and the incline push ups. Other good things to try are planks and just getting into the push up position(even on your knees) and holding there with good form as long as you can, rest for 30 seconds and do it again. I would REALLY recommend doing something like the 30 day shred(super cheap at walmart or you can find it on youtube), even if you have to work your way up to doing the full workout, it is just a really good full body workout, and I really noticed I got way better at them when I started focusing on full body strength instead of trying to only change certain spots.