I give up

Options
I was put on meds which screwed up my metabolism. I had lost 20 kilos now since being on this medication I have gained back 7 and I am eating way less than I was before?! What the fk is wrong with my body? I don't even care anymore. All this hard work for nothing. I give up.

Replies

• originalkazila
    Options
    Whoa whoa whoa. You lost 20kilo, only gained back 7. You're still down 13kilos. That's amazing.

Your profile says you're a personal trainer. Would you tell your clients to give up after such a minor set back?

Another note from your profile

"An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great."

seems like you should listen to your own advice.
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't quit! Maybe if you've just started the new med, your body is freaking out a bit, but may adjust after you are on the meds a while. If you've been on the meds for a while, maybe you could talk with your doctor about an alternative med or treatment. If you're willing to share which med is doing this to you, I'm sure someone in the MFP community has been there/done that and could offer you some advice! Hang in there!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    1330 calories seems really low ... are you eating above BMR?

Just because psych meds might cause weight gain, is that a good enough reason to not eat healthy and being super good to your body as it adjusts to the medication???

Focus on eating healthy and your body should adjust. If the meds will help you get your head together, then temporary weight gain might be worth it. Maybe instead of cutting calories, start weight/resistance training and eat better to help snap you out of panic mode.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You carry a lot of Dx for one so young......work hard on the borderline stuff and the rest will be easier to treat. It is hard to see the older borderlines that have worn out all the people that could support them and help them through things.

Keep focus on what you do that works, ask the doc if another medication can help without such side effects. Is the medication worth the side effects.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    you care enough to announce your defeat.

forge ahead. before you give up, try some different things. are you eating enough?
    1300 for a pt doesnt seem like enough. run your numbers...bmr and tdee...whaddya get?
    if youre a personal trainer i have a hard time believing youre actually giving up. youre stronger than this. suck it up and break thru the wall. cmon.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Good. You should probably never consider attempting to lose weight again. Ever.

Hopefully I don't catch you submitting a video to Biggest Loser.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    Don't quit! Maybe if you've just started the new med, your body is freaking out a bit, but may adjust after you are on the meds a while. If you've been on the meds for a while, maybe you could talk with your doctor about an alternative med or treatment. If you're willing to share which med is doing this to you, I'm sure someone in the MFP community has been there/done that and could offer you some advice! Hang in there!
    Seroquel and cymbalta
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    I was on 1600-1900 up until recently but the meds also play around with the appetite
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I just read your profile. I have a friend who's borderline. I will pray for you. That's rough. Go easy on yourself and keep moving forward, ok?
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    girl you can't give up. a year from now you'll be like.............why the *kitten* didn't i stick with it, now i have ANOTHER 20 pounds to lose. BE TOUGH, get back on the damn horse, and ride on! you can do it!
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was eating next to nothing and still gained tons of weight on medication like that :sad: but life has compromises. Your mood right now and unmotivation could also be a side effect, or a side effect of the initial reason why you need medication. Just ride it out, you will feel motivated again and then try to see if you can experiment with your macros and see if they affect loss and gains in different ways. I wish you the best of luck and just try to relax about weight for a while. :flowerforyou:
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    Nope. Don't give up! It may take a minute for you body to adjust to the meds, but it will level out and you'll be back on track. Just keep on keepin' on!
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Dont give up look how much support you already have,you lost 20pounds and gained 7 back you will get the rthym back
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    girl you can't give up. a year from now you'll be like.............why the *kitten* didn't i stick with it, now i have ANOTHER 20 pounds to lose. BE TOUGH, get back on the damn horse, and ride on! you can do it!

What you don't understand is that I am doing all the right things and STILL gaining weight. Doesn't make a difference when you are on meds like these.
  • BorderlineAngel
    Options
    Dont give up look how much support you already have,you lost 20pounds and gained 7 back you will get the rthym back

*20kgs=45lbs
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try Paleo.
    You will actually be amazed how good it makes you feel. I have lost so much weight courtesy of Paleo and I feel better mentally too. Negative thoughts are almost at a zero for me. Give it a go, what have you got to lose apart from weight!?!
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options

*20kgs=45lbs

Sorry typo
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    just give your body some time to adjust :) dont give up, it will get better!! :)
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    during this initial phase of adjusting to the meds keep working out....there will be a serotonin boost which will help with the mood, even if it is 10-20 minutes of silly stuff you make up yourself from bits and pieces of other workouts...entertain yourself . Also, while you are adjusting pick1-2 manageable things to focus on each day. I set 5 goals at the beginning of each day...somedays they are big reaches and some days they are things that I know I will do...but at the end of the day to know I managed my goals helps with my confidence. So I set a water goal...1)water - drink a glass before work, drink lots of water at work (this is easy) and at least one glass at home 2 )food ...make sure there is at least 1 fruit with breakfast, 2 fruits or veggies with lunch, 1 fruit or veggie with snack, and 2 fruits or veggies with dinner....some days the goal is about protein or calories etc....3) exercise - might be mileage I want to run, might be the DVD I want to do...might be move for 10 mins...the next two are the ones I work the hardest on ...4)life - today I need to make appointments and do dishes and plan the week so I have time to do everything I need to do...the 5)attitude ...this is where I self talk myself into positive things,,,ie,,,"I am really struggling with life right now so my goal is to find one thing to smile about each hour...even if it means I have to watch a silly youtube video or go to pinterest to find those oh so funny inspirational quotes and then laugh at my snarky thought that go along...

You have tools at your disposal to make this work. Your body is an adjustment period and therefore you will need to be patient...but it is also possible to check in with the doctor and see if your dosing can be adjusted so that it works better for your whole life.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!