weighing food

Options

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks for not getting smart with me. Im trying to learn and you learn from asking questions. If I eat almonds and it says 1oz is 160 cals. then I usually measure out an ounce in a measuring cup. If I ate 2 small thin pork chops(baked) then I have just been going by whatever MFP has in the database and usually I do the higher calorie to be safe.

The problem is that measuring cups measure fluid ounces. The nutritional information on the back of the pack of almonds is NOT fluid ounces, it's ounces of weight. The only substance where fluid ounces and ounces of weight are exactly the same is water.

"Small" and "thin" are not the least big accurate ways of figuring out what you ate.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    weighing out a portion of a food item is how I know the calories are counted as accurately as possible. if you dont measure how do you figure a serving? I can use a measuring cup to get a 1/2 cup serving of oatmeal and then weigh that same amount and find it is actually more than what a 1/2 cup serving should be by weight. meaning if I just used the measuring cup I would be eating more than the serving and my calorie count would not be correct. it may seem trivial but it all adds up. I weigh out almost every single thing I eat. it also teaches us what a normal portion size is supposed to look like. the kitchen scale is my most used tool in my kitchen. It keeps me honest.
    Thanks, I was measuring but not weighing. Im getting better at all of this. The one good thing is Im trying new foods (healthier) and eating better.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Your doing fine but to be 100% sure you are logging to right amount of calories weigh your meats and anything you can truly fit into a measuring cup. Use the Receipe builder for homemade things like soup. Go by the serving size on the nutrition facts and once again measure to be sure.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    I have been going by the labels on the back of packages or if I make something homemade then I add the calories the best I can..thats why Im asking someone to explain it. I dont understand weighing...if I weighed a bowl of soup and it was 8oz then how many calories?? If i eat a scrambled egg then I look at what one egg has in calories...if I add a 1/2 slice of cheese then I add half of what one slice is. I add individually if I have to.

So, for example, if it's a pre-made soup, then just find the item in the database and add the correct portion size to your food diary. When you locate the item in the database you have the option to adjust the number of servings you had. So, say 4 oz of canned tomato soup was one "portion/serving", and has 100 cals according to the label, and you had 8 oz, then you select "2" as the number of servings and the correct number of calories gets calculated (200 in this case).

If you're making food from scratch (which we often do), then use the Recipe tool (under the "food" tab). There, add all the ingredients (properly measured/weighed), indicate how many servings the entire recipe makes, and the system will calculate the calories etc. for one serving, which you can then add to your diary. It can be a bit of a pain adding new recipes but it's worth it because it takes the guesswork out.

But yeah, eyeballing/guessing your servings is a recipe for disaster until you've measured something out enough times that you can correctly estimate with a small margin of error. It's the quickest way to accidentally go over your cal goals.

On that note, weighing is ALWAYS preferable to measuring with cups. I've been astounded by how much the servings vary if I use cups and they're almost inevitably much higher, like 10-30%! This is more the case for dry goods (cereals, grains, flour, etc.) but also for dense stuff like peanut butter. I still use cups and spoons (mostly) for true liquid measures and for very low-cal items like spices.
    Thanks, I do alot of homemade soups. I never have notices the "tools" for homemade foods. I will try that. No matter what, I have been eating less but Im sure now that my calories havent been as accurate as I thought.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Thanks for not getting smart with me. Im trying to learn and you learn from asking questions. If I eat almonds and it says 1oz is 160 cals. then I usually measure out an ounce in a measuring cup. If I ate 2 small thin pork chops(baked) then I have just been going by whatever MFP has in the database and usually I do the higher calorie to be safe.

You can only measure fluid ounces in a measuring cup. Fluid ounces and ounces as a measurement of weight are not the same thing. Therefore, measuring 1 oz of almonds is impossible in a measuring cup. Now if the serving size is listed as say 1/4 of a cup, you can measure them that way, but 1/4 of a cup of almonds is NOT the same as 2oz of almonds.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    Your doing fine but to be 100% sure you are logging to right amount of calories weigh your meats and anything you can truly fit into a measuring cup. Use the Receipe builder for homemade things like soup. Go by the serving size on the nutrition facts and once again measure to be sure.
    Thank you for your help!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You cant measure an ounce of almonds in a measuring cup. You can measure a quarter of a cup that way...which might be close, but might not. To know you have an ounce you need a scale. I'm a cooking pro...I'm pretty good at eyeball measuring, but I use my scale all the time too. If you don't use a scale or the appropriate measuring device for your product (cups, spoons.. whatever) you don't really know. As to your question about soup....prepackaged soups you can read the label and then measure. For homemade, you have to figure out the calories ingredient by ingredient to figure out the whole batch ....then measure and divide.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    All of the above. We lost control because we lie to ourselves. "I didn't eat that much today." Right, I gained all this weight drinking water. The scale lets you know exactly how much you are eating. Time to face the truth.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    Basicly what everyone above has said. To give an example though. If you go into the grocery store and pick up a pack of bananas not every banana weighs the same, so when you put into mfp one medium sized banana that is just an average. Everyone has a different definition of what medium might be because bananas come in many different sized. You won't know the actually calories your consuming unless you weight the banana and figure out its weight in grams.
    Thanks...I guess I was just doing a rough estimate. I guess it is time to buy some scales!
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    You are probably not very off but beware of the cup/ounce/serving size Bermuda triangle where many things get lost...

I make all my food so for the me the rule is, put the butter/olive oil on the scale (we use grams so that is very precise), put the onions on the scale, put the vegetables, the meat.. even a spoonful of flour needs to go on the scale. That way I have everything that I put in my soup - I will know exactly how many calories are in my pot.
    Luckily, MFP can save "My Meals" however I tend to not make the same foods again over and over but it still comes handy.
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    You cant measure an ounce of almonds in a measuring cup. You can measure a quarter of a cup that way...which might be close, but might not. To know you have an ounce you need a scale. I'm a cooking pro...I'm pretty good at eyeball measuring, but I use my scale all the time too. If you don't use a scale or the appropriate measuring device for your product (cups, spoons.. whatever) you don't really know. As to your question about soup....prepackaged soups you can read the label and then measure. For homemade, you have to figure out the calories ingredient by ingredient to figure out the whole batch ....then measure and divide.
    How would you divide a HUGE pot??
  • sofielein
    Options
    Thanks for not getting smart with me.

Not knowing is not a problem. Not asking, now that would be stupid. But you did ask. :smile:
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    All of the above. We lost control because we lie to ourselves. "I didn't eat that much today." Right, I gained all this weight drinking water. The scale lets you know exactly how much you are eating. Time to face the truth.
    Im facing the truth. That is why Im on MFP posting questions to learn to do it right. Some dont want to explain but just want to be smart about it. Thanks:smile:
  • csmith822
    csmith822 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started out counting calories and added calories for 2 oz of chicken. When I bought a scale, I realized that my 2 oz of chicken was really 4 ounces (and thus double the calories)

This was me, too!
  • cindybpitts
    Options
    Thanks for not getting smart with me.

Not knowing is not a problem. Not asking, now that would be stupid. But you did ask. :smile:
    I agree and thanks for that! I hesitate on asking sometimes for the one reason of feeling stupid and some people insist on making others feel that way.
  • csmith822
    csmith822 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    :blushing:
    Figuring out how to quote and post...
  • sofielein
    Options

I put the pot on the scale :))) At least my scale can deal with stuff up until like 15 kg.

For example, the scale shows I am having a 70 ounces of soup in the pot. So when I eat a certain portion, I can measure that (i.e. in my plate) and then I know I am currently eating 7 ounces of it. So my calorie consumption will one tenth of the entire pot. You can use a calculator if you need to, to divide the calories with the same number.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You are probably not very off but beware of the cup/ounce/serving size Bermuda triangle where many things get lost...

I make all my food so for the me the rule is, put the butter/olive oil on the scale (we use grams so that is very precise), put the onions on the scale, put the vegetables, the meat.. even a spoonful of flour needs to go on the scale. That way I have everything that I put in my soup - I will know exactly how many calories are in my pot.
    Luckily, MFP can save "My Meals" however I tend to not make the same foods again over and over but it still comes handy.

And the differnences between volume and weight measurements are so significant that a lot of the world cooks by weight not volume. And all my King Arthur baking books strongly suggest using weight for baking, not volume, as does Alton Brown. I got my food scale just because I like to cook and wanted to be able to use European recipes, not because I was tracking my intake with it.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options

One option would be to weigh the pot when empty, then add all your stuff in, do your cooking, and then weigh the pot again. Subtract the weight of the empty pot from the weight of the full pot, and then you'll have the total weight of what you made. Then when you go to eat some, weigh how much you serve yourself, and you can say "Oh, this is an eighth of what I made" (or however much) "so the calories are 1/8 of what the total recipe made."
  • sofielein
    Options
    And all my King Arthur baking books strongly suggest using weight for baking, not volume, as does Alton Brown. I got my food scale just because I like to cook and wanted to be able to use European recipes, not because I was tracking my intake with it.

All of my European "gramma" and modern cookbooks have grams EXCEPT for the best one, the friggin' "The cook's book" by Jill Normans, an ABSOLUT MASTERPIECE and all of the recipes are with cups and ounces and it is driving me bonkers! :sad: