How much exercise could you do in the beginning?

Options
Hi I can walk all day but get me on any type of exercise machinery and I'm exhausted after 15 minutes and my legs are like jelly and I have to rest for a while before continuing.Just wondering if everyone starts out like this or is it just me?

Replies

• MandasCorner
    MandasCorner Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back and bad knees so I have to be really careful about how long I do things. I have been going on a walk around my block with friends for a couple of days (and we're going to continue this M-F every week) and then I have a Gazelle at home. I can only get around the block once right now (and I think it's a fairly small block). When I first started walking a couple months ago (we stopped for a while & I just started again this week) I could only walk 3-4 houses down the street and I was hurting. Now I can get half way around the block before I start to feel it in my hips so I know I am slowly getting better/faster.

I also have a Gazelle at home. When I started working out regularly on it (about a week ago) I could only do it (at a steady pace) for a minute and a half. Now I am able to do it for three minutes at a time. This doesn't seem like much, but for me its a great accomplishment :)

So, I think everyone starts out where they can't do much and the more they do it the more they can do (if that makes sense). Just take it slow, listen to your body and do what you can. Slowly build up, even if that is just a few minutes at a time. Instead of jumping on [insert machinery here] for 30 minutes right off the bat, start out by doing 1-5 minutes at a time but do it several times a day.

Hope this helps/encourages :)
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    When I was skinny, I would easily do an hour on the elliptical machine, going slow just barely breaking a sweat. After I gained all this weight over the last 3 years and started working out again about 6+ month ago, I could barely stand doing 30 minutes on that same machine! However, I went every day and tried my best to stay on that thing as long as I could stand it. Also started to push myself on intensity ... and now, I can easily do 130 minutes altogether! But like I said, 6 month ago I wouldn't have thought I would be able to do that ... EVER! The treadmill on the other hand hurts my knees, when going at a fast pace, so I usually walk on it at an incline, and I can do that for about 1 hour. So, I would say, just keep at it and believe that it will get easier in time. Consistency is the key!
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    4 months ago I couldn't last 15 minutes. Now I can run 10k without having to stop. The more you do it the stronger you become. It will get better and easier, trust me :wink:
  • marioz49
    marioz49 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    When I first started walking in January this year, it took me 50 minutes to walk 1/2 the distance I walk now. Now I am walking about 2.7km in 50 minutes.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Take baby steps. I started doing 30 minutes 3 times a week. I started with some Richard Simmons videos because they're fairly easy to do even if you're not in good shape. Then after a few months, I did Couch 2 5 K. Now I can easily handle an hour long Zumba class or an hour on the treadmill. If it hurts, stop. I had a bad experience with an Elliptical machine this week and didn't listen to my body. All day yesterday, I had to lay around with an ice pack on my knee.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do very much when I first started. I tried my best to keep up with some TaeBo dvds and go walking. They both about killed me. Now I feel that I'm in pretty good shape. It will get much easier if you just stick with it and push yourself out of your comfort zone, but not so much that it will hurt you. ALWAYS listen to your body!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    One of the things that made me realize how much I needed to lose weight and how out of shape I really was was a field trip hiking 4 miles with my daughter.... it was a 4-ish hour day. That's like one mile an hour, I was exhausted and sore after that and KNEW I was "the fat mom"

I then pulled the clothing off my elliptical and discovered that I could barely do 10 minutes without feeling like I was going to die. That was the very beginning of my weight loss venture. :smile:
  • ruth1297
    ruth1297 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone,your comments really help :happy:
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    When I started I could only last 5 min on my bike. Now I can do 45. When I started I nearly passed out and hyperventilated walking 10 minutes to walk to my mom's house 2 blocks away ..now I can walk there and back ..without breaking a sweat. You will get there! Just build your strength up. :)
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    4 months ago I couldn't last 15 minutes. Now I can run 10k without having to stop. The more you do it the stronger you become. It will get better and easier, trust me :wink:

WOW I have been running 2 min and walking 2 min for 30 min, 5K seems like a long way away for me, but I hope I could do it some day!